D&D Next Forgotten Realms Concept Art on Deviant Art

D&D Next Forgotten Realms Concept Art Illustrations on Deviant Art
By Conceptopolis

[sblock]

And more....

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

am i alone in how much i hate these halfings? why would anyone want to play one of these?

am i alone in how much i hate these halfings? why would anyone want to play one of these?

I'd rather have halflings without the 'large' heads, but I think that it can be pulled off. But I don't like the halfling/gnome (wizard/alchemist?) pictured.
No you aren't alone, i am not fond of these Halflings neither. But i like the Humans and Ogre!

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I like them. The two elves are well differentiated. I like the exagerated heads of the halflings as it helps separate them from gnomes and humans (without any frame of reference I can spot the halfling).

I especially like the Illuskan. That helps differentiate that race of humans significantly from the others. The Turami also helps embody that race as well (clearly of African influence, but significantly different from a Zulu warrior).

I'm assuming these are all official? (I recognise the halflings from WotC's website).
I keep waiting for them to make halflings either not look like short humans with huge, flappy feet and elephantitis of the head or like angry little children. The few times they have broke those molds, the results left me thinking that maybe halflings should just be rethought from the ground up (or forgotten completely). I mean, I get it...they're Hobbits. Everyone knows that. So I guess there's only so much they can do.
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
I like the shadowing and color scheme of these (if that is an art direction).  However, I'm not too sure I like the cartoony feel of some of them  Who knows?  That's just a first impression.  Maybe it'll grow on me.
There are some interesting style elements that I like.  The elves ears seem a little out of place to me.  Like, they don't fit with the style of the other characters.  I don't know about those ears.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

I think they look great. Nice blend of realism and stylized features. I like this better then D&D's past art for sure. 

AS far as haflings go... I kind of agree. Halflings are difficult to make "cool" in drawings and still make them their own thing. Kind on that weird fringe where the empty spots in our imagination allow us to see them as realistic, but when portrayed in art, thiose empty spots start to fill and suddenly we are uncomfortable with the depiction.

So I'm good. 

My mind is a deal-breaker.

Definitely not alone. Those things are horrible.

I don't much care for any of these pictures at all - they're too cartoony - but the halflings in particular crank that goofy cartoon look up to 11.
I'm extremely fond of almost everything.  The humans, orcs, dwarves, gnomes, and the vast majority of the monsters are all absolutely wonderful.  I don't like the halflings at all.  I much prefer the 3rd/4th ed renditions of halflings, and would like the art style reverted.  I also really disliked the fire giant.  His legs are far, far too tiny for the hugly distored body.  I understand that the artists are trying to distance the creatures from humanity by playing with giant proportions, but in this case I don't think it worked well.

These are minor criticisms overall, however, as most of the art is simply stunning. 
I think they look great. Nice blend of realism and stylized features. I like this better then D&D's past art for sure. 

AS far as haflings go... I kind of agree. Halflings are difficult to make "cool" in drawings and still make them their own thing. Kind on that weird fringe where the empty spots in our imagination allow us to see them as realistic, but when portrayed in art, thiose empty spots start to fill and suddenly we are uncomfortable with the depiction.

So I'm good. 

The halflings from 4e, basically rastafarian-halflings as I call them, weren't too bad.  But overall, I think the direction of this art, with its toned down magic and brightness, is excellent.

Looks like the "big head, flappy, hairy feet" hobbits/halflings stopped with 2E.
3E and 4E made them look more like angry children or just short humans.
Hoping for a little something different this go-round.  
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
I like the Lightfoot halflings. They look perfect to me. Strongheard are kinda meh.

Did anyone else notice Half-elf and Gnome amongst them?! MUAHAHAHA! 
My two copper.
The art style is far too cartoonish and flat for it to appeal to my imagination.      It makes me worry what the  PHB will look like.  

I almost like the gnome, but I still can't get past the WoW feel of these toons.  

That fire giant is one of the worst next to some of those halflings.    I don't have a problem with big heads, it's just the art style.   

To cartoony and CGI looking. Some of it is alright though. I hope thats not the final FR font.

Fear is the Mind Killer

D&D Next Forgotten Realms Concept Art Illustrations on Deviant Art
By Conceptopolis

looks like pathfinder.
The best artist IMO is Lockwood. 
The art isn't doing much for me, to be honest. I'm hoping that there is a wide array of styles in the new edition artwork.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

I would prefer not to have grossly oversized axes, but it looks pretty good overall.
I, for one, really like this art style. It's stylized without being Disney-unrealistic.
I liked some of the base sketches these were based on... but, the coloring... I'm not as much a fan.  Also, I see the "cartoony" look people are pointing out, especially the halflings (Egads!)

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
I, for one, really like this art style. It's stylized without being Disney-unrealistic.

look at that child's ankles, her middle and index fingers are wider than they are. these aren't halfings, they're nintendo Miis

i will admit that i'm getting stuck on these abominations. the rest of the art is actually really good. the Aboleth in particular is amazing. 
actually, halflings remind me of Legend of Zelda characters...

Anyway...why everything focused on forgotten realms?...atleast that would actually help to see how drow are going to look sooner than later... 

Anyway...why everything focused on forgotten realms?...atleast that would actually help to see how drow are going to look sooner than later... 

there's a drow off to the right in the picture with all the humanoid adventurers in it. 

i hope they crack down on the milk-white eyes that most drow pics get stuck with. nothing bugs me more than eyes of a solid color. 

A little more cel shade and Forgotten Realms becomes Wind Waker, lol

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
The art will have seperate modules in the form of weapon, head, leg, and other assorted stickers. Large breasted, platekini clad amazon warriors can coexist in a balanced game with stick figure ogres, cubist elves (and modrons) and surrealistic gnomes.
I actually really like the art style overall. It feels very clean, modern and professional. I would be very happy if the product looked like this art. I like the look in general and also like the costuming, which is visually interesting without needing to be too out there or too busy.

Much like everyone else, the halflings don't really work for me. (The Gnome actually does.) I do think it's important that halflings are differently proportioned than humans, so that they read as halflings even when they're pictured alone, and larger heads are a good way to do that, but I don't think the heads need to be this large. They look like Pixar movie concept art. That's actually really high praise, because Pixar movies are beautiful and have awesome character design for the most part, but they're also uniformly stylized, within a picture, and stylized for specific effect.

If all of the characters were drawn in an slightly caricatured or exaggerated style then I think it would look right, but they're all otherwise essentially proportional. Honestly, I think PF's Halflings are not even close to equaled anywhere else in terms of just doing Halflings right, at least in terms of proportions. They're clearly small without needing to be excessively disproportionate.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.

there's a drow off to the right in the picture with all the humanoid adventurers in it. 

i hope they crack down on the milk-white eyes that most drow pics get stuck with. nothing bugs me more than eyes of a solid color. 

yeah...i never liked the completly white eyes, that's something i loathed from comics back on the 80s/90s....ugh...
Yay!

Disney has finally bought D&D! 
So, how exact;y are these pictures about "Forgotten Realms?" They seem pretty generic and lack anything unique to them.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

So, how exact;y are these pictures about "Forgotten Realms?" They seem pretty generic and lack anything unique to them.

Exactly, it just like Forgotten Realms!

They've represented the Illuskan and Turmish people. The rest I'm a bit puzzled over the whole "Forgotten Realms" angle. Perhaps they're working on developing Forgotten Realms first, figuring that will cover the appearance of characters from most D&D settings. Then they can move on to less generic appearances (Dark Sun, Eberron).

I set 'em up, you knock them down! 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Don't like the Realms don't play. Nice and simple and everybody wins.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Halflings are really annoying and don't look D&D at all. They are too cartoony and resemble some characters from a Pixar animation movie. Disproportions at various body parts, like halfling ankles, giants' legs, elves' ears. Why do the elves almost mimic those WoW elves with donkey ears? The rest of the art is just fine, especially the monsters. 

Oh, yeah, I too hate those drow eyes without pupils. They need pupils with a lot of color variety, please.
 Here is a concept. Get a decent artist.

www.google.co.nz/search?q=larry+elmore&h...

Fear is the Mind Killer

Here is a concept. Get a decent artist.

www.google.co.nz/search?q=larry+elmore&h...

i'd rather have the stick-legged halflings than Elmore's chainmail bikinis and 80s hair.

Chainmail bikinis?

IMAGE(http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae162/Zardnaar/2-larry-elmore-signed-autograph-the-last-dragon-magazine-wizard-tsr-signature-art-print-original-sketch-1-198x300.jpg)

At least Elmore gets the proportions right. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

Chainmail bikinis?

At least Elmore gets the proportions right. 

sexism is worse than cartoonishness.
Hmm. The halflings aren't that bad, in that they give me a bit of a Tolkien vibe. Ogre Mage is gorgeous, and humans and elves are great. Not fond of the gnome, though. There's definitely a divide between the more realistic humanoids and the cartoony ones. 

all in all, though, gorgeous work. 

Aboleth is also very cool.

Since when are Sahuagin and Kuo-Toa lizard monsters, though? 
Hmm. The halflings aren't that bad, in that they give me a bit of a Tolkien vibe. Ogre Mage is gorgeous, and humans and elves are great. Not fond of the gnome, though. There's definitely a divide between the more realistic humanoids and the cartoony ones. 

all in all, though, gorgeous work. 

Aboleth is also very cool.

Since when are Sahuagin and Kuo-Toa lizard monsters, though? 

my guess is that the person who titled the images isn't as steeped in the proper terms for these things as we are.