Brillant Aura Spell

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
This spell only work in persons (medium humanoid creatures) and don't work in natural weapons??
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.
Neither Brilliant Aura or Brilliant Blade says anything about creature size or type.
Brilliant Aura says that it works just like Brilliant Blade, which specifically states that it works on natural weapons. 
Neither Brilliant Aura or Brilliant Blade says anything about creature size or type.
Brilliant Aura says that it works just like Brilliant Blade, which specifically states that it works on natural weapons. 

Well i found this spell in the Spell Compendium (I was looking the 3.0 version that work over person in target) but this say that work in weapons carried and an natural weapon not is carried or it is????

BRILLIANT AURA
Transmutation
Level: Cleric 8, druid 8, sorcerer/
wizard 7
Targets: Weapons carried by one creature/2 levels, no two of which are more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
(harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Taking fresh insight from contemplation of light, you cast the spell and set your allies aglow with white brilliance.
This spell functions like brilliant blade (see below), except as noted here, and that all weapons of the subject creatures gain the brilliant energy special ability.

BRILLIANT BLADE
Transmutation
Level: Cleric 7, druid 7, sorcerer/
wizard 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One melee or thrown weapon, or fifty projectiles (all of which must be in contact with each other at the time of casting)
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will
negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)
With a word, the indicated weapon glows with a soft bluewhite halo that emits a low, slowly pulsating hum. The faint smell of ozone permeates the air. You transform a single melee weapon, natural weapon, thrown weapon, or group of projectiles into a weapon with the brilliant energy special ability (DMG 224). If this spell is cast on arrows or crossbow bolts, the effect on a particular projectile ends after one use, whether or not the missile strikes its intended target. Treat shuriken as arrows, rather than as thrown weapons, for the purpose of this spell.
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.
This spell only work in persons (medium humanoid creatures) and don't work in natural weapons??

"Person" is NOT a defined DnD term.  If I needed to define it I would say it is any intelligent (3+) living creature.  To say a "person" only covers medium sized humanoids is probably a bit racist.

The reference I am looking at says "transforming their attacks into brilliant energy," and nothing about that will exclude natural weapons or unarmed attacks.

I looked in SC as well. The Brilliant Blade spell you posted states in the body of the spell that it works on Natural Weapon. Natural Weapons still fall under the categories of melee and ranged.

As far as Brilliant Aura is concerned, I wouldn't get so caught up in semantics. It says that it functions like Brilliant Blade except that it empowers all weapons of the target creature with the Brilliant Energy property.

"Person" is NOT a defined DnD term.  If I needed to define it I would say it is any intelligent (3+) living creature.  To say a "person" only covers medium sized humanoids is probably a bit racist.

Charm Person is defined as working on "humanoids".
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
I looked in SC as well. The Brilliant Blade spell you posted states in the body of the spell that it works on Natural Weapon. Natural Weapons still fall under the categories of melee and ranged.

As far as Brilliant Aura is concerned, I wouldn't get so caught up in semantics. It says that it functions like Brilliant Blade except that it empowers all weapons of the target creature with the Brilliant Energy property.

its right but the target of brillant blade can be a natural weapon because is defined only as a melee weapon while the brillant aura say that it work like  brilliant blade, except as noted and in target say "Weapons carried by a creature"  this entry match with a natural weapon???

the main entry of brillant aura talk about all the weapons of the creatures but the target of the spell makes me doubt while i tink that the spell is like brillant blade but in mass only.

Charm Person is defined as working on "humanoids".

You know draco, I could give you that one except for two thing.

1.  We should all know that just because the spell is called Charm Person and it only affects humanoids that does NOT mean that Person = humanoid.  Change the spell name and it still works fine without directly connecting person to humanoid.  Although it would be immune to the Charm Person spell I suspect you would probably call a Silver dragon who is using its alternate form ability a "person."

2.  The Oma definition of a "person" is even more specific being a MEDIUM sized humanoid.

I'm sure we could visciously circle each other on the first point if we want but it wouldn't do any good.  If you can find something that directly says a Person is a humanoid and can not be anything but a humanoid I will happily conceed the description.  Without that I will maintain that "person" in an undefined term in DnD.

I also believe that we can both agree that the second point is definitely wrong but because Oma is never wrong that must mean that both of us are wrong.

its right but the target of brillant blade can be a natural weapon because is defined only as a melee weapon while the brillant aura say that it work like  brilliant blade, except as noted and in target say "Weapons carried by a creature"  this entry match with a natural weapon???

the main entry of brillant aura talk about all the weapons of the creatures but the target of the spell makes me doubt while i tink that the spell is like brillant blade but in mass only.

Feel free to play your game however you like. I'm sure the vast majority of this community will agree with what I told you and I won't get drawn into a ten page arguement.

If you're so confident about how the spell works then why did you start this thread asking the question? 
You know draco, I could give you that one except for two thing.

1.  We should all know that just because the spell is called Charm Person and it only affects humanoids that does NOT mean that Person = humanoid.  Change the spell name and it still works fine without directly connecting person to humanoid.  Although it would be immune to the Charm Person spell I suspect you would probably call a Silver dragon who is using its alternate form ability a "person."

Personally, I'd allow it to include Monstrous Humanoids, but it is at least a baseline.
2.  The Oma definition of a "person" is even more specific being a MEDIUM sized humanoid.

Believe it or not, he actually may have a point.  Charm Monster says that it works on any creature "regardless of type or size".  Is it possible that the 3.0 (or even 2E) version of Charm Person restricted to Medium size?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
I'm not sure why the issue of "Person" is being discussed.

The Spell Compendium, Printed December 2005, contains the official update of Brilliant Aura, that was previously printed in Complete Divine, May 2004.

SC says that it affects the weapons of a target CREATURE, not target person. 

Thread evolution, brosef.  This one's actually different from what's usually happened over the last few months.
The Spell Compendium, Printed December 2005, contains the official update of Brilliant Aura, that was previously printed in Complete Divine, May 2004.

I was AFB, otherwise I would have looked it up there.  
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
AFB?
Like AFK is, "away from keyboard"; AFB, "~books".
Oh you crazy kids and your fancy internet slang!!
The beauty and bane of the internet.  These days you can often find things online is grey areas that would be froma book but aren't completely what the book says.  I know that once upon a time I often would request what reference something was using to make it easier to look up.  Now even with that a person may not be aware of any "updated" printings of something.

As for the reason "Person" is being tossed around should be obvious when you look at the first couple posts.  I'll even admit my google search of Brilliant Aura turned up something that used the word "Person" when describing the spells target.  As Ahruhn kindly points the more current version actually uses the word "Creature" which is a defined target instead of they mysterious Person which draco and I work casually nagging each other about. 
Oh you crazy kids and your fancy internet slang!!

Things like that crop up in any forum community. Some become universal. Some, like "O'sWA" just become second nature to a few...

Brilliant Aura from magic of faerun.

(Magic of Faerun)

Transmutation
Level: Druid 7,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One person per 2 levels, all of whom must be within 30 ft. of each other
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You limn your allies in a glowing nimbus, transforming their attacks into brilliant energy.
All persons affected by this aura give off light as a torch (20-foot radius).
Their weapon attacks (melee or ranged) function as if their weapons were brilliant energy weapons: They ignore nonliving matter and armor, and enhancement AC bonuses do not count against them.
The attacks cannot harm undead, constructs, or objects.
In addition, all attacks gain an enhancement bonus on damage equal to one-half the caster's level (maximum +10).

well i always asked for rules, because some time extra rules come in other sources, like the rules of the ritual of the animal companion.

but thanks for your opinion i think that this spell really act like brilliant blade in mass.

Faerun is a campaign specific source book, so only really apply in Faerun. The Spell Compendium strips campaign specific material away to give core rules only in regard to the spells function in any world.
Magic of Faerun was printed in 2001. The wording in Spell Compendiun stating that its target is a Creature, not a Person, trumps that book as well.
Sign In to post comments