Lords of Creation : Chaos Within (OOC Thread)

1485 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think the word you are looking for, Pen, is "deign," not "dein." Changes the meaning of Leaf's words, a little.

@Joran: So, Ara and I had talked a little about possibly ascending soon to be the proverbial angel and devil sitting on Zebus' shoulders, urgining him on towards REVENGE!tm Any thoughts?
@Crimson:  "sending up a ring of mountains around a deep valley"  is a classic AP action (unless you intend for the mountains to disappear when you leave, or something like that), as you are, in a sense, 'commanding' the earth to bend around your person.  I kind of like the idea of a circular mountain range as a focal point for our planet. 

Ah, yes, that was totally meant to be a 1AP expenditure, but I got distracted in the middle of my post and had to leave the keyboard for a bit. By the time I got back to it, I was rushed and forgot to add that in. Hurray for having children! I'll edit it in right away.
Just reminding you  Also, sorry about my God.  He's... kinda paradoxically cold and uncaring at the moment.
No need for appologies. RP is what makes a game good! Though, I must say I'm a little surprised that Leaf didn't demand my fealty right away. Perhaps he's beginning to mellow with age?

Also, just noticed no one has been using the AP log, so I thought I'd put a reminder in here for it.
Thanks.  I'm definitely guilty on that front...
hehe! thats funny! A god of fire being cold!

Anyways, I think I just did the ultimate jerk move: I gave faceless angels souls, faces, and free will!

and Thought I might have to get with you soon on that! It sounds like too much fun!

show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/6.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg)

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

Ah! Joran finished his post before I could get my thoughts organised in mine! I suppose it wouldn't change much, likely Onus would impassively watch the Death god float away. There wasn't anything in his words that required a response, so it's unlikely Onus would provide one.

Now, Pruinus, would you be so kind as to provide me with a whip made of ice? I'm picturing this giant Balor except that his weapons have opposing elements instead of being all fire.
Hey, @Joran, don't forget to mention a direction you're leaving. (I think either South or West, but cardinal direction off-storming should be good, no? )
how does south-west by way of cake?

By the way, all people should join the Death god! I has cookies!

show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

I do enjoy cookies.  Tell me more about these... cookies.
There are many flavors and they are all tasty!

show

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

Did I use the wrong action? It feels like divine servants specifically tasked with preventing Zebus from interferring with life would, you know, be a little better at preventing Zebus from interferring with life, especially on his very first attempt.
Pen,  let me talk to Shadow about it and see what he thinks (he's gone until tomorrow).  This is a semi judgement call that I don't want to make on my own.

My thoughts:

You are right in that you told the angels to oppose any action that Zebus took to interfere with Life.  In many cases, I would say that this means that Zebus would have to figure out a way to fight against them.

That said, I am not sure how angels would fight against being given... souls and emotions.  I'm not even sure if that is, strictly speaking, life (with a little l) being interfered with, as Zebus is not causing the life that is in the angels to be any shorter or longer or etc.  

Mechanically, both actions are valid, of course.  

So I'll talk to Shadow tomorrow morning and we'll get back to you and Joran.    
Nope you used the right actions. I just tampered with your creations a little. I didn't destroy, kill, harm, prevent life, or even interfered with them living, I just gave them a little something......extra! A gift if you will! or a curse depending on how you see it!

show

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

No need, Topheh. I don't want it to be a big issue: I was just surprised. It seemed like I must have done something wrong.

or a curse depending on how you see it!

Excellent point. Mwahahaha!

Newly revamped god thingy go!

Name:  Urru
Greater Domains:  Light
Moderate Domains:
Lesser Domains:
Physical Appearance:  A small, fluffy looking being within shimmering ball of bluish light. 

Divine Symbol:  TBD
ƸȌƷ
Okay, sounds good.  I think the most salient point is that technically you could argue that *any* action that Zebus would have taken is 'interfering' with life in some way... if he makes a mountain range, well, one day someone might die because they thought they could climb it, or something.  Perhaps you and Joran can come up with a scope that is inconvenient for him, but not... preventing him from doing anything without being hounded by swarms of angels.
hehe! thats funny! A god of fire being cold!

Agni has stated himself that Pruinus is also quite fiery. Oh the irony. LOLZ :D

There are many flavors and they are all tasty!

Well, I'm Sold.

@Crimson Vampire: Apologies but I spend some AP before I read your request. Would it cost me any AP to create a whip of ice? Either way, If you ask my god in-game, she probably would fulfill this request, even if it means using my last AP for the week.

It was my intention to create an icy ring of mountains on top of the planet since before the game began, so sorry for interfering though, but if you have any objections you can easily destory these glaciers.

Also, I sound also start submitting my AP expenditure. Shall I do so from the very beginning of the game, or from now onwards?

(As I was under the impression AP submission was to make chronology easier by stating the exact course and order of these events.)
Ugh, I'm terribly sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to withdraw my submission. Stupid thread submission didn't give me an update so I didn't read anything for 2 weeks, and I'm realising I don't have the time to catch up with the game already started as well.

Thank you for letting me build a God though, that was great fun and I'll certainly keep a look-out for the next iteration! Good luck!

Show
[broken links]
b c g pb s y
Retired:
b d d j j k k k l l m m n w | b
Awww  Your God sounded really interesting.  If it changes your mind at all... the OOC is mostly pointless reading, and we summarize the events that happen in-game weekly expressly so people can jump in without actually having to read everything that happens.

If you do change your mind... you're welcome anytime! 
Yay I have internets again.

Things getting off to a hillarious start on the IC thread. Perhaps Agni, Pruinis, and Leaf should create some life forms so that those poor angels have something to do besides swarming Zebus. Tongue Out

@Crimson Vampire: Apologies but I spend some AP before I read your request. Would it cost me any AP to create a whip of ice? Either way, If you ask my god in-game, she probably would fulfill this request, even if it means using my last AP for the week.

It was my intention to create an icy ring of mountains on top of the planet since before the game began, so sorry for interfering though, but if you have any objections you can easily destory these glaciers.

I don't think Agni spent any AP on the sword, it's not a relic or an artifact or anything of the sort, so I don't see a need to spend any on it. As for the whip, I can do without, it was just an amusing image that popped into my head. I was just sharing in case anyone else was amused by it as well.

I haven't checked the IC thread, but did you just steal my mountain range?!?!? Now we's gonna hafta fight! or, I may have to go land somewhere else and create another valley to call my home...
I can really see these Angels becoming their own renegade faction hating all gods, with an overwhelming hatred of zebus, the way things are going. I'd Love to see IT as their leader too.
I can even imagine a scary Monster Manual summary for them.

Free Angels

Angels created by the life god Leaf, and given free will and faces to convey emotion by Zebus. Disgusted and repulsed by their own faces, they were masks to hide their faces and hunt down the death god Zebus fanatically, letting nothing stop them from extracting their revenge.

So yeah, things are getting interesting. :D
I could definitely see a semi-nomadic culture developing where every guardian angel eventually leaves, either to find someone to protect, or to specifically hunt down Zebus (a sort of holy vision quest that ends in stabbing).

Also, do the angels covering their faces remind anyone else of Szeth-son-son-Vallano?
Pen, to answer your question:  Yes, I absolutely plan to use that AP, I know exactly what I'm going to use it for... but I need to go away from everyone else before I use it... so... working on that!
Just a quick question.

Although out of any education at the moment, it is my intention to go to university to study concept art within the next two years, and this thread is giving me some pretty cool ideas.

Would anyone have any objections of me creating some concept art/illustrations based on the descriptions of their gods. I'd hope it's fine but I really have to get into the habit of asking for permissions, can land someone in my career path a lot of trouble assuming they can use others ideas.

Please note I'm mainly out of education because I really need to practice concept art (I only started drawing at all two years ago) so if I can create some artwork based on your descriptions, I will link you to it somewhere, but don't expect anything incredible. (Alas, it may be quite poor, it really is based on my mood at time of drawing)
Just a quick question.

Although out of any education at the moment, it is my intention to go to university to study concept art within the next two years, and this thread is giving me some pretty cool ideas.

Would anyone have any objections of me creating some concept art/illustrations based on the descriptions of their gods. I'd hope it's fine but I really have to get into the habit of asking for permissions, can land someone in my career path a lot of trouble assuming they can use others ideas.

Please note I'm mainly out of education because I really need to practice concept art (I only started drawing at all two years ago) so if I can create some artwork based on your descriptions, I will link you to it somewhere, but don't expect anything incredible. (Alas, it may be quite poor, it really is based on my mood at time of drawing)

Go right ahead. More ideas will come the longer the thread gets as more gets created.

I have no objections...

Good luck with Umbra.

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

Actually, Pen, by your fluff, you *can* stop them from charging after Zebus again.  You have to heal them before they can attack again, at least based on your initial post about how Life works here.  If you refuse to heal them... then...
Well, if Leaf refuses to heal them, they'll still have 1hp (because instead of taking a fatal wound, they teleport to Leaf with 1hp). That's enough for them to run after Zebus all over again. And if they get hurt again, well, that would be a fatal wound... except they teleport back to Leaf with 1hp instead of dying.

They take the Zap Brannagin approach to winning. Luckily Zebus isn't a killbot with a preprogrammed kill-limit.

If only there was a god of tactics to show them a better way.
@No One In Particular

It might be useful to think of responses to other people's posts in terms of Scene/Sequals and Setbacks.

A scene is when the protagonist has a goal, there is conflict (generally a question of will the hero be able to achieve that goal), and then setback.

A sequel is when characters react to the scene. This is where empathy and emotional attachment are developed in the reader's mind (so hey, if you want other players to like your god, maybe focus on this a little more than scenes). In sequals, we see a character's emotional reation ("oh noes, I'm in a car accident! Terror, Fright, PANIC!), their intellectual response ("I'm in an accident, is anyone hurt? Do I have my insurance papers? Was it my fault or theirs?"), anticipation ("oh noes, now I'm not going to get to the hospital in time to give Aunty Em this magical pill that will cure her of super-cancer and she will die!"), and then choice ("I have to make a run for it, so I can get to the hospital in time!"). Sequels, as you can probably tell, often lead into the next scene (will our plucky hero get to the hospital in time to save Auntie Em despite the police chasing him down because he ran from an accident?)

When formulating a post, it might be good for to present a sequel to the posts before yours (remember: emotion, reason, anticipation, choice. You don't always have to have all four, and even when you do, you don't have to dwell on them much, but the order is important).

Then, move on to your own character's scene (what is your character's goals in that scene? What forces will oppose them?). And when interacting with others, chances are they'll get to decide your setbacks.

There are four types of setbacks possible. They are "Yes," "No," "Yes, but" and "No, and."

A "Yes" setback isn't really a setback. The protagonist overcomes the conflict and achieves their goal. The hero is in a pit of rabid wolverines, tries to jump out, and makes it. Bor-ing. But sometimes, it's just important to advance the story.

A "No" setback is also boring. The hero tries to jump out of the pit, fails, but is in no better or worse of a situation. Ho-hum. However, for a cooperative game like this, I'd say that these should never, or at least nearly never, be used.

A "Yes, but" setback is beautiful. The protagonist jumps out of the pit, but not before contracting rabid wolverine syndrom, which will eventually turn him into a monster! Dun dun DUUUUUUN. How does he feel about this? What will he do?! Tune in next week, same wolverine-time, same wolverine-channel.

A "No, and" setback is very solid too, especially when you want to build tension. The protagonist tries to jump out of the pit and grabs a root to help him. Except thats a snake! A rabid snake. With face-herpes. The hero falls back into the pit, pulling the snake with him. Now he's surrounded by raging wolverines and a rabid, face-herpies snake! How will he get out of this one?!

Generally speaking, "yes, but" and "no, and" setbacks are the best, because they open up options for further storytelling. "Yes" and "no" generally shut those down. However, repetition is also boring, so vary the setbacks. "No" is dangerous in cooperative games because it shuts other people down entirely. Ignoring entirely is also a way of giving the "no" setback, so be careful of that.

This has been a public service anouncement, stolen and butchered from Jim Butcher's blog: jimbutcher.livejournal.com/
Wait... that seems... odd.  So we're less in a universe where, say, if you get crushed by boulders you technically could remain alive as a broken and mangled shell of your former self, assuming Leaf didn't feel like healing you for whatever reason, but instead a world where, a split second before you get crushed by boulders, you vanish?

Hrmn.  The first one seems more interesting. 
@ Pen Draggin: Withinn the next few days, Azgo will probably go off the deep end, declare eternal war on the first five gods, and then attempt to build an army. However, he is more attuned to corrupting than creating, and I would like to know if i could kidnap an angel and use him as a blueprint for my more morbid standing army. That alright with you?

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

I'm assuming thats how it is working out to be. At least the first part of the post that is how I read it.

And James: Go for it! I implore you to exercise your creativity here! If that also means drawing to your hearts content then go for it! I'd say you can use any and all of my gods that you wish!

show

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

@ Topheh, not really sure. How do the rules for planar entities work in D&D? I'm sure geeks have had a debate about this sort of thing somewhere before. But, as noted, it's not meant to be permanent.

@Forgotten, totally. Although from what Zebus has done, they're pretty messed up already.

@James, that sounds awesome! You have permission for any of my stuff.

@Joran, James, and Topheh: I was wondering if anyone would be willing to betray Leaf. I had been thinking that they'd convince Leaf that Zebus was going to yield, only to have Leaf attacked, broken, and expelled. Assuming that Zebus isn't really dead, perhaps still that? Or just in general something to lead to Leaf's downfall.
@James.  Please do

@Pen #1:  How do *you* want planar entities to work?  We're not making DnD, we're making our own game (on a general DnD framework, yes, but...)

@Pen #2:  Sure.  My pleasure. 
But Joran, I SAVED you. :P
I'm just trying to find a moment that would be good for my own guy to emerge into the fold, but that time has not yet come unfortunately lol
Toph, seems pretty clear that zebus purposely killed himself and tried to blame leaf. I call it, murder of the orient exdeath ;)
I call it being unappreciative.  I had a cooler opening for the Agni'Vohda. :D

That said, it did get me away from the others so I could do what I've been promising to do for some time now.  Aldii, I'm ascending you at the moment.  Welcome to the game!
Sign In to post comments