Favorite Monster to have recurrence or fav 1 time monster.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
What is your favorite monster or monsters to have recur throughout a campigne or your favorite "ONE" monster to have been shown up but not seen  or fought again. 

It was a shadow cat monster thing.  Basically the PC's entered a very large room filled with pillars.  Each pillar had a small light source, kind of like a torch.  There was water puddles on the group all over the place.  As the PC's walked through the room, lights would turn on here and there.  The shadow cat has the ability to light or snuff out any light source (sunrod, torch, light orb, etc.)  Without any light the shadow cat is unable to affect creatures.  The more light present, the more powerful the shadow cat becomes !  This is because the greatest light creates the deepest shadows.  So the key to defeating the shadow cat is to fight it with some light sources but not so many that it becomes too powerful.  So it's a mix of skill challenge to figure out what's happening / how to solve the alternative goal of juggling the lights + defeating the monster and solving the riddle.  The players loved it.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I like a good shapeshifter. My players encountered an oni that gave them some grief, and he came back to taunt them another time. I haven't been able to bring him back for another appearance, but the players keep asking for him.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Mine would be a dragon, usually silver or gold, that is in the form of a human. And he gets elected mayor of a major town that the PC visit frequently. The PC usually find out some way about his true form, then have to figure out should the out him as a dragon or go along with his little game and gain his favor.
I had a doppelganger in a campaign, a lieutenant of the BBEG.  The local lord had been kidnapped by the BBEG, and they went after her attempting to save him.  When it came to the encounter to fight her, the PCs breezed through the underlings with her in the first round (before she'd even made an appearance), making her escape route non-viable.  As I didn't think this was very entertaining/interesting, and had recently read & adopted the Fight or Flight rules, I decided to have her negotiate with the PCs instead in exchange for her freedom.  She did this by using her shape-changing abilities to mimic the victim (and her Bluff easily beating their Insights), convincing them if they didn't, she'd kill him.  Once they agreed, she did what she promised — answered any three questions honestly and to the fullest of her knowledge.   This allowed me to give them far more background information than they might have gotten otherwise; I made some "on the fly" changes to her story, as to who she was, who she really worked for (she became a spy inside the BBEG's organization, working for someone even more BB&E).  In the end, it gave me a far better hook for the upcoming legs of the adventure — they're going after her, now, due to the death of one of their allies (a NPC Companion character they'd picked up along the way) and she's leading them to where her real BBEG wants them to go.

At any point, they could have declined the negotiation, or even gone back on the agreement (especially when she mocked them while revealing herself to be a changeling).  But they didn't, thank goodness.  Instead, now I have someone who can manipulate the characters (she sent one of them a personalized invitation to the next place they were supposed to go), show up at any time (they've actually met her again, though they won't know it until it's obvious who she was pretending to be), and is able to be used for expositional purposes without having to explain why the Good Guys who they're working with know so much about what's going on with the Bad Guys.
I love any undead monsters really. Undead heavy campaigns are some of my favorite to create monsters for. Especially if those monsters are to be recurring.
I have a group of Dryads that are a recurring theme in my current campaign. They're fun because they can change shape, control nature and are neutral as long as you don't mess around with nature. So they've been on and off again allies and villians with my players.
Zargon

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

My players hate imps.
Any monster that has invisible/teleport escape battle mechanism is a great choice.