Cirque du Lune... my Plane.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Over my winter break I created a plane based on a short story I wrote when I was in high school. The following is one of my blogs of that plane, it's background story, keywords and a legendary card that will act as each coven's leaders... enjoy and I'd love some feedback (good or bad).

Cirque du Lune
A plane where everything has a circus theme to it. The plane is based on five different covens that once where one people. Thousands of years ago the covens broke into the five during a war known as "The Warring Moons" and thus the covens were created. Each coven has their own focused values as well as two secondary values which motivates their primary ones. They also share a third set of values with two other covens. The story is based around the Soilel wanting to create the perfect society by genetically altering its citizens and thus they become the main antagonist. The Harlequin are actually the ones trying to fight them off by reclaiming thier place as true settlers of Cirque du Lune, the protagonist. The Masquerade, on the other hand, wishes to control the other covens by making them powerless and as a result making them the supreme coven. The Calavera simply work for whoever pays enough for them to kill and so follow thier faith. Finally the Mimos, however, wish to remain outside of the war but will fight anyone who tries to bring the war to thier peaceful colonies. 

Coven: Soliel
Background: Soliel is the coven that has and as its secondary color pair. Thus it also shares with the Masquerade and with the Mimos. The Soliel coven is based on their leader, Appolos who genetically engineers/alters his followers to have the same DNA as he does, thus creating the "perfect society" where everyone has a place and all may live in peace. The Soliel can break down their genetic codes to make smaller versions of themselves that are easier for Appolos to control.
Keyword: Genesis # (this creature comes in with # +1/+1 counters on it. : Remove a +1/+1 counter on this creature and put a 1/1 white creature token into play under your control).
Creatures
Clerics
Mutants
Wizards
Soldiers
Angels

Appolos, God of Soliel 
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
*,: Target creature gets a +1/+1 counter on it. It gains hexproof until end of turn.
*: Until end of turn, whenever you get a 1/1 creature token, put twice that many instead.
3/3
"Soon all of Cirque du Lune shall know of me, for all shall be me."

Coven: Masquerade
Background: The Masquerade is primarily the coven that uses and as secondary colors. It shares with Soliel and :ubm: with the Calavera. The Masquerade obsess over science, the arts, sophistocation, wealth and beauty. They wear masks, act secretivly and are a hierarchy based on the level of one's intellect and educational background. The Masquerade despise those outside of thier coven who are more knowledgable than they are.
Keyword: Unmask (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, search that player's library for a nonland card that cost less. Remove that card from the game).
Creatures
Homunculi
Advisors
Artificers
Merfolk
Sphinxes

Raceak, Loyalar Scion 
Legendary Creature - Human Advisor
*When Raceak, Loyalar Scion comes into play, each opponent loses X life where X is the number of cards in their hand. You gain that much life.
*: Sacrifice a creature, return Raceak, Loyalar Scion to your hand.
2/3
"You attempt to know more than I? Trust me, your ignorance is bliss."

Coven: Calavera
Background: The Calavera is primarily a coven and has and as secondary colors. They also share :ubm: with the Masquerade and :brm: with the Harlequin. It is a group of gypsie-like beings paint thier faces like sugar skulls. The Calavera are the most religious coven as their woship of death is reflected in that they believe that death is the only absolute. They also enjoy innovative ways to kill their opponents and treat the dead with respect.
Keyword: Reap (If a creature dealt damage by this creature were to be sent to the graveyard, target creature gets -0/-X where X is the former creature's power until end of turn).
Creatures
Zombies
Clerics
Rogues
Thrulls
Djinn

Godric, Death Incarnate 
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue
*Deathtouch
*,: Exile a creature from a graveyard: Put a -X/-X counter on target creature where X is the exiled creature's power.
3/3
"Nothing in this life is eternal... death is the exception."

Coven: Harlequin
Background: The Harlequin is the coven that has and as its secondary values. They also share with the Calavera and :rgm: with the Mimos. The Harlequin are the insane clowns of the plane who love to have a good time. Indulging in reckless behaviors, the Harlquin feel that life is too short and so everyone must live it up. The Harlequin believe they were the true settlers of Cirque du Lune and so wish to fight to reclaim thier born right.
Keyword: Whiplash :cost: (:cost:, Remove this creature from the graveyard: It deals X damage to target creature where X is it's power).
Creatures
Beserkers
Goblins
Wizards
Shaman
Dragons

Harley, Queen of the Insane 
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman
*At the begining of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature unless you pay 1 life.
*,: Each player loses 1 life for each creature they control and each creature is dealt 1 damage.
3/2
"Soon, we'll show these freaks just who truly runs this circus!"

Coven: Mimos
Background: The Mimos is the coven who has and as the secondary values. They share :rgm: with the Harlequin and :gwm: with the Soliel. The Mimos are peaceful people who have the ability to create invisable structures by miming them out. They are famous for their invisable walls which protects them from harm. Though peaceful, the Mimos have a strong tie with nature and will do whatever it takes to defeat those who threaten nature itself.
Keyword: Deflect (Prevent all combat damage dealt to this creature if that damage is equal to or less than its toughness).
Creatures
Monks
Shamans
Elves
Beast
Treefolk

Mo, Master of the Silent 
Legendary Creature - Human Monk
Trample
,: Search your library for a creature that cost or less and put it into play under your control. It gains haste.
4/4
"Though he never says a word... there's no doubt to what he intends."

MaRo's been wanting to do this. Too bad nobody else does. It can be for fun, though.

Okay, why does Mo's ability cost but not ? You should always have activated abilities cost on-color.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I like the totally weird aesthetics of this, but I'm trying to figure out how a circus-based plane would, well, work. Like, there's gotta be farmers somewhere, right? Who is the grand performance for? Or is it just an aesthetic thing?

Don't take this the wrong way, though. I'm very intrigued by what you're doing here. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I like the totally weird aesthetics of this, but I'm trying to figure out how a circus-based plane would, well, work. Like, there's gotta be farmers somewhere, right? Who is the grand performance for? Or is it just an aesthetic thing?

Don't take this the wrong way, though. I'm very intrigued by what you're doing here. 

Just a guess: they're not "performers" per se. It's just their culture. That's how they are 24/7: not putting on a show, just acting in a way we outsiders would associate with the circus. In  other words, there are farmers, soldiers, etc. in each group.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Just a guess: they're not "performers" per se. It's just their culture. That's how they are 24/7: not putting on a show, just acting in a way we outsiders would associate with the circus. In  other words, there are farmers, soldiers, etc. in each group.

Yeah its just a cultural appearance thing. Like the Masquerade dresses in Masquerade attire however they don't spend thier lives dancing, and the Harlequin can even be doctors or whatever. It's just the general theme of the plane.

However particular covens may specialize in a particular aspect for society such as the Mimos being the farmers and such. The Masquerade being the intellectual career based (teachers, scientist, ect). 

Yeah there's everyday people who are on this plane, just think of it as if our world all of a sudden decided that a circus theme was the style at that time and everyone dressed in such attire. There are still doctors, farmers, ect... it's just the cultural aesthetic.

MaRo's been wanting to do this. Too bad nobody else does. It can be for fun, though.

Okay, why does Mo's ability cost but not ? You should always have activated abilities cost on-color.

Good point, I'll change it to a variation of ... it was a spur of the moment kind of thing.

Revision...

Mo, Master of the Silent 
Legendary Creature - Human Monk
Trample
,: Search your library for a creature that cost or less and put it into play under your control. It gains haste.
4/4
"Though he never says a word... there's no doubt to what he intends."

Sign In to post comments