[ICD] Dudibus Designs - Natures Beckon

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Natures Beckon
Instant
Put a creature card with converted mana cost three or less from your hand onto the battlefield. 

Sort of a green Dark Ritual/Unearth.  Is instant ok or do you think it should be a sorcery?  What does [ICD] stand for anyways? 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Natures Beckon
Instant
Put a creature card with converted mana cost three or less from your hand onto the battlefield. 

Sort of a green Dark Ritual/Unearth.  Is instant ok or do you think it should be a sorcery?  What does [ICD] stand for anyways? 

ICD = Individual Card Discussion.

I'd say make it a sorcery. Otherwise, it unintntionally gives any low-cost creature Flash.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Yeah, it should be a sorcery.

That said, giving Deadly Recluse flash would be more true to the nature of Spider than what we have now.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I'm not sure this needs to be a sorcery, flash is green and this puts pretty acceptable limits on its use. I might add that the creature must be green though, both because that has history in green and it better mirrors Dark Ritual.

Once you finalize your design, I will probably nominate it for Card of the Week. this is really coolol for me. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I would agree that giving the creature flash isn't a problem and actually makes the card a very solid uncommon.  It doesn't feel like a common effect, so I think I'll leave it as an instant.  As for making it only a green creature, I don't think thats necessary either.  I'd prefer to keep it as an attractive card to pair with all the colors.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
I would agree that giving the creature flash isn't a problem and actually makes the card a very solid uncommon.  It doesn't feel like a common effect, so I think I'll leave it as an instant.  As for making it only a green creature, I don't think thats necessary either.  I'd prefer to keep it as an attractive card to pair with all the colors.

But then I can flash in a Geralf's Messenger in a mono- green deck. :/
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)

But then I can flash in a Geralf's Messenger in a mono- green deck. :/

You could, but is it a problem?  If you are playing monogreen I'd say there are going to be lots of times you got stuck with a Messenger in your hand and no Beckon to get it onto the table.  Even then, is it a bad thing that the monogreen player get limited access to the Messenger?  People playing messenger would likely be running this in a b/g deck anyways.

I promise I'm not arguing just for the sake of it.  Your saying it would break things too harshly since obviously messenger was put a BBB for a good reason and this card would get around that.  Changing it to green still keeps it as a fine card, and it probably should be that or a lot of the time it would read "add three mana of any colour to your mana pool.  Only spend this mana on creatures" which wasn't what I was going for.  Your logic is too sound for me to ignore!

So the final version would be:

Natures Beckon   (darn symbols)
Instant (U)
Put a green creature card with a converted mana cost of three or less from your hand onto the battlefield.

Still very solid, and doesn't violate any other cards costs.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
Yeah, you can flash in messenger, but really, is it worth it to play that?  Messenger doesn't autowin you the game, and it's going to be a dead card whenever you don't draw beckon.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
There is precedent for making this green-only (Dramatic Entrance, Lure of Prey, Norwood Priestess) but the majority of green cards that put creatures into play from other zones are not restricted by colour.
blah blah metal lyrics
Yes thank you I will play my Doran, the Siege Tower, Woolly Thoctar and/or Leatherback Baloth turn one.

Although I'm sure there are even more vicious things to do with this. Way overpowered. 
Yes thank you I will play my Doran, the Siege Tower, Woolly Thoctar and/or Leatherback Baloth turn one.

Although I'm sure there are even more vicious things to do with this. Way overpowered. 

then I'll doom blade it and get a free 2-for-1. basically the same level of scariness can be achieved through Auras, but they're not overpowered either. spectral flight on a decent 1-drop can let you swing with a 4-power flier turn 2 pretty easily, which isn't much worse than what you posted, and it isn't a dead draw later.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

Those plays are not the least bit overpowered or vicious

for instance, you can use a birds of paradise to play any of those turn 2, which gives you your 3 drop AND the birds of paradise without the card disadvantage

Anyway, the card is cool and reads excitingly, good job Dudibro 

then I'll doom blade it and get a free 2-for-1. basically the same level of scariness can be achieved through Auras, but they're not overpowered either. spectral flight on a decent 1-drop can let you swing with a 4-power flier turn 2 pretty easily, which isn't much worse than what you posted, and it isn't a dead draw later.

Those options also cost at least three times as much mana.

Those plays are not the least bit overpowered or vicious

for instance, you can use a birds of paradise to play any of those turn 2, which gives you your 3 drop AND the birds of paradise without the card disadvantage

Anyway, the card is cool and reads excitingly, good job Dudibro 

There's a world of difference between swinging for five on turn two and swinging for five on turn three.

You know what also lets you play 3 drops for 1?

Dark ritual.

Does anyone use it for that purpose outside of casual?

Not anymore. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
On the note of targets to trick in, Geist of Saint Traft?

I could also see this being incredibly nasty with the upcoming Gruul tutor. That said, I love the card, although I'd be surprised to see it at uncommon: it fights the pie, certainly, but it's a damn rare effect nevertheless
one can fairly depend on getting to 5 mana by turn 3 with a dark ritual
but can't depend on drawing a dark ritual by turn 3 at 10 cards in a 60 card deck
that would require 6 dark rituals
I think I saw a red dark ritual the other day
Seems legit to me. Two of the "broken" cards are three colors. So in order to effectively use them, you'll be running three colors. And or dual lands which often etb tapped. So you might not have a forest or producer available turn one. The best trick I see is sneaking out a werewolf during your upkeep and having it auto-flip. Seems fair to me.

I could also see this being incredibly nasty with the upcoming Gruul tutor. That said, I love the card, although I'd be surprised to see it at uncommon: it fights the pie, certainly, but it's a damn rare effect nevertheless

Now it the creature has to be green, so no Geisty.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:

Now it the creature has to be green, so no Geisty.

>>.<< Absolute fail on my part. That's what I get for reading the first few posts as well. Thanks for the correction.
yea when dark ritual becomes pyretic ritual this card really beckons to cost

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
yea when dark ritual becomes pyretic ritual this card really beckons to cost

How shall I put this:
Dark ritual allows you to combo off for a turn a storm kill.  It also lets you cast a 4 drop on turn 2, a 5 drop on turn 3, a 6 drop on turn 4, etc.  This, at its best, will let you cheat into play, on turn 1...
A 3 drop.
Yeah, that's not anywhere near the level of turn 2 lodestone golem or turn 1 trinisphere. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
I agree with Catotheyounger. Dark Ritual or Pyretic Ritual get better as you have more mana. This is always a 3 drop. Period. If anything its less powerful late game.

All three of them? Wouldn't Doran make Thoctar a 3/3?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt