My first attempt at a Rogue. Advice appreciated.

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a sort of in between build. Not high level op but probably higher op than my regular home group. I just wanted to try to build something along the lines of a crit-fisher. Most, if not all, thanks go to Fardiz(for answering my questions), Mommy was an Orc and RenZhe(for the untyped damage rogue thread). I'm not trying to tout this as an original or spectacular build, just looking for commentary and advice on how to trick it out further.
[sblock JOHNNY THE HOMICIDAL MANIAC]

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, level 12
Human, Rogue (Scoundrel), Daggermaster
Build: Cutthroat Rogue
Rogue Tactics Option: Brutal Scoundrel
Rogue Option: Scoundrel Weapon Talent
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Cipher

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 11, DEX 22, INT 9, WIS 14, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 15, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 10

AC: 28 Fort: 25 Ref: 29 Will: 23
HP: 89 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +19, Athletics +17, Insight +13, Intimidate +11, Perception +13, Religion +10, Stealth +17, Thievery +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +6, Heal +8, History +5, Nature +8, Streetwise +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity
Rogue Attack 1: Deft Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Piercing Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Dazing Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Press the Advantage
Rogue Utility 2: Tumble
Rogue Attack 3: Low Slash
Rogue Attack 3: Blade Vault
Rogue Attack 5: Bloodbath
Acrobatics Utility 6: Timely Dodge
Rogue Attack 9: Knockout
Rogue Utility 10: Acrobat's Escape
Daggermaster Attack 11: Critical Opportunity
Daggermaster Utility 12: Meditation of the Blade

FEATS
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 1: Cunning Stalker
Level 2: Backstabber
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Light blade)
Level 6: Swift Footwork
Level 8: Disciple of Divine Wrath
Level 10: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 11: Two-Weapon Opening
Level 12: Improved Defenses

ITEMS
Vicious Dagger +3 x1
Shielding Blade Dagger +2 x1
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Boots of the Fencing Master x1
Symbol of Victory +2 x1
Veteran's Leather Armor +3 x1
Steadfast Amulet +2 x1
Babau Gauntlets (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

[/sblock] 

Like i said not really op i'm just having some fun so any and all commentary is welcome, even if that is "Pat,Pat,Pat pretty good job. Nothing much too see. Moving on."

EDITed.
Looks good to me, man.

Quick things:

1. Vicious Dagger +3 is strictly superior to a Wraithblade +2 at this level, so you might want to slowly transition into Wraithblade in later levels. 
2. I like Clever Strike as a backup at-will because riposte strike won't trigger that often unless you're invested. Between Clever Strike and Cunning Stalker, you should basically have CA 100% of the time. And actually, if you find yourself with CA a lot without Cunning Stalker, retrain for Improved Defenses.

3. Speaking of defense...Improved Defenses at level 12, obviously. No Superior Will on this build til epic, but that's not a huge deal. Pick up Circlet of Arkhosia asap, then phase it out at epic.

4. I'm not actually huge on Sohei for a Daggermaster, or rogues in general. No stat damage and on an untyped damage rogue means it has a damage value of about 15 or so right now, and your action economy is such that it won't come into play on any meaningful nova round. Have you considered the Cipher theme?
Looks good to me, man.

Quick things:

1. Vicious Dagger +3 is strictly superior to a Wraithblade +2 at this level, so you might want to slowly transition into Wraithblade in later levels. 
2. I like Clever Strike as a backup at-will because riposte strike won't trigger that often unless you're invested. Between Clever Strike and Cunning Stalker, you should basically have CA 100% of the time. And actually, if you find yourself with CA a lot without Cunning Stalker, retrain for Improved Defenses.
3. Speaking of defense...Improved Defenses at level 12, obviously. No Superior Will on this build til epic, but that's not a huge deal. Pick up Circlet of Arkhosia asap, then phase it out at epic.
4. I'm not actually huge on Sohei for a Daggermaster, or rogues in general. No stat damage and on an untyped damage rogue means it has a damage value of about 15 or so right now, and your action economy is such that it won't come into play on any meaningful nova round. Have you considered the Cipher theme?

1.That is 100% true. I was looking to get the extra use of SA on my crit with Two Weapon Opening, but i guess the front loaded damage would be better.
2.Cunning stalker was more for the initial rounds of combat while positioning works itself out and then flanking and as you suggest clever strike. I really only grabbed Riposte because this build started in a different way and i never went back to swap. Piercing strike is the go to any way.
3.All great ideas. 
4.I will definitely look into other themes. Thanks for all that.
I'd switch starting Dex and Str. Most your attacks are Dex, having a +1 on them at the cost of -1 on basic attacks is a reasonable trade. After that change, you can grab Babau Gauntlets if you feel like you need a +2 with your basic attacks.
I'd switch starting Dex and Str. Most your attacks are Dex, having a +1 on them at the cost of -1 on basic attacks is a reasonable trade. After that change, you can grab Babau Gauntlets if you feel like you need a +2 with your basic attacks.

I'm making changes now to the build. I may not even need the extra + to hit on the MBA, sacrilege i know, but with the rogue bonus to hit with daggers, expertise and CA it should still be decent. If i need as you suggest i'll look into the gauntlets. May be a better investment than the Gauntlets of Blood though.

Any ideas for a better armor. I switched to Cipher for my theme and that gives a +2 power bonus to initiative as does Battle Harness?
Eventually, Armor of Dark Deeds is probably the way to go - but you probably can't afford it at level 11. Maybe go Magic+3 in the interim?
Yup, I'd go with vanilla +3.
Or Gambler's Suit, if rarity isn't an issue. There are all sorts of situations where the property is useful (I have a save against ongoing 5 and another against dominated...hmm) and where the interrupt is no risk at all (minion hits you, enemy crits you on the initial attack) if you're risk averse.
Edited the initial build to reflect some suggestions.
Changed my theme from Sohei to Cipher.
Swapped my DEX and STR.
Swapped some items.
1. Vicious Dagger from Wraithblade.
2. Veterans Armor from Battle Harness.
3. Babau Gauntlets from Gauntlets of Blood.
4. Lost out on Elven Chain Shirt.
I also leveled to 12, seemed like a overall rounder starting place. Allowed for a slight bump in GP. I used the GP value of items as well as the starting gold. I don't know if that is really the way builds are done.
It would depend on in-game play but i'm thinking of bumping my WIS with my next stat bump inorder to qualify for Superior Will sooner. Like i said this would be mostly for an actual game that may never see EPIC. This build may never actually see the light of day in actual play but it was still fun to build.

Generally looks good. I'd switch out to Clever Strike to Deft Strike. That extra movement can be very useful, particularly if you're concerned about getting your Nova off in full:

i.e.
Round 1:
Minor: Oath of Enmity
Standard: Deft Strike(ranged), move 2 towards Oath Target
Standard: Blade Vault(shift 4), melee
Minor: Low Slash

Also, with Reserve Maneuver, you could pick up Circling Predator - so when you get to your target with Blade Vault, you can do:
Standard: Circling Predator

Finally, if I were a Sensate, I'd be concerned about the downside - hey, I'm not first and I get to move into trouble...
Generally looks good. I'd switch out to Clever Strike to Deft Strike. That extra movement can be very useful, particularly if you're concerned about getting your Nova off in full:

i.e.
Round 1:
Standard: Deft Strike(ranged), move 2 towards Oath Target

Also, with Reserve Maneuver, you could pick up Circling Predator - so when you get to your target with Blade Vault, you can do:
Standard: Circling Predator

Finally, if I were a Sensate, I'd be concerned about the downside - hey, I'm not first and I get to move into trouble...

I'll look into the at-wills. Reserve Maneuver is on the list to pick up. Some priorities need to come first like imp. defenses @12, where i thought about taking res. man., and possibly Superior Will.
I'm confused by the last portion of your statement though. I took the Cipher not Sensate Theme.
Edit- but i get the point, i'll just need to show restraint and not charge headlong into a tough situation. 
The point of Cipher is twofold: 

1. Win or lose initiative, it gets you out of the killbox to start.
2. Move the minimum distance needed to find range with Blade Vault if you're not in range already. With move 6, that's an engagement radius of 11. If you lose initiative HARD compared to team monster, then you scurry off to find some cover and duck out while they nuke the penalty box.

Yeah, whoops. Meant Cipher.

A way of looking at it btw, is that Reserve Maneuver for Circling Predator means you get an extra attack that does 1d4+ approx 15+2 shots at a crit. That amount of damage, if you're making just 10 total attacks in a combat, is reasonably competitive with 2 hp of damage/hit.

As opposed to a chance of an extra minor attack that you might not be able to use. 
The point of Cipher is twofold: 

1. Win or lose initiative, it gets you out of the killbox to start.
2. Move the minimum distance needed to find range with Blade Vault if you're not in range already. With move 6, that's an engagement radius of 11. If you lose initiative HARD compared to team monster, then you scurry off to find some cover and duck out while they nuke the penalty box.

Plus if i do get into a situation where i'm caught out in the open and get approached by team monster i have some defensive utilities to mitigate a poor placement on my part.
The problem i have with Reserve Maneuver is what Power to lose use of? If i take Circling Predator i need to lose the use of one of Critical Opportunity or Blade Vault, if i'm reading the feat correctly?

Benefit: Choose an encounter attack power from your class. The power must be your level or lower and one that you don’t already have. When you regain the use of your powers at the end of any rest, you can gain the use of the chosen power instead of regaining the use of an encounter attack power of the same level or higher.
Special: Each time you gain a level, you can exchange the power you chose for this feat for another encounter attack power from your class. The power must be your level or lower and one that you don’t already have.

I bolded that last relevant text. 
Edited the build by swapping Clever Strike with Deft strike. Cunning stalker should help out with combat advantage in round one and Deft Strike adds some extra mobility for manuvering into or around my chosen prey. The rest of the time working in conjunction with my teammates for CA should be good enough.
The problem i have with Reserve Maneuver is what Power to lose use of? If i take Circling Predator i need to lose the use of one of Critical Opportunity or Blade Vault, if i'm reading the feat correctly?

Benefit: Choose an encounter attack power from your class. The power must be your level or lower and one that you don’t already have. When you regain the use of your powers at the end of any rest, you can gain the use of the chosen power instead of regaining the use of an encounter attack power of the same level or higher.
Special: Each time you gain a level, you can exchange the power you chose for this feat for another encounter attack power from your class. The power must be your level or lower and one that you don’t already have.

I think he was suggesting you drop Critical Opportunity with the bit about "As opposed to a chance of an extra minor attack that you might not be able to use." 

I think he was suggesting you drop Critical Opportunity with the bit about "As opposed to a chance of an extra minor attack that you might not be able to use." 

Okay, that makes sense now.

This.

On your nova round, 2 attacks before you're down to a single minor action = 48% chance of at least one critical hit. Not to mention, getting an extra minor attack after a critical hit might be a situation where you don't have a target to attack.

I really like the combo of Blade Vault+Circling Predator+Low Slash, because it means you're not only getting 4 shots at a crit, but you're also likely hitting the thing 4 times in case you don't critical hit it.

Which has some potential to drop it anyway.