DR and Mind Affecting

Jedi duel coming up. The Jedi player have the talent Damage Reduction 10 and the force power Energy Resistance.

These do not stack, do they?
They do not work against a lightsaber, do they?

That's not the real question though;
Do they protect against the Mind-Affecting powers such as Memory Walk and Mind Shard?

My rationale is that many force powers such as Force Lightning are literally described as an "attack" but the mind-affecting ones are not.
DR 10 applies to any kind of damage done, because it's not specific about what it affects. Energy Resistance (which is a damn annoying power for a PC to have in my experience >_>) only helps against Energy damage. So any damage that is NOT energy damage (such as Force damage, look at the power's wording carefully here) does not get stopped by Energy Resistance. Furthermore, the highest one counts, they do not stack. So DR 10 works against everything except for Energy, for which you'd apply the power DR.

However, there are several types of "attacks" that you could still use. Look at the Jedi Consular tree in the Core book. You could just talk him to death  
DR 10 applies to any kind of damage done, because it's not specific about what it affects. Energy Resistance (which is a damn annoying power for a PC to have in my experience >_>) only helps against Energy damage. So any damage that is NOT energy damage (such as Force damage, look at the power's wording carefully here) does not get stopped by Energy Resistance. Furthermore, the highest one counts, they do not stack. So DR 10 works against everything except for Energy, for which you'd apply the power DR.

Are you sure?
From p158 Core Rules
"A creature or object with damage reduction (DR) ignores a certain amount of damage from every attack."

Force Lightning actually indicates that it's an attack. So do Ballistakinesis, Combustion etc, that often try to beat an opponents Reflex Defenses. The Mind-Affecting force powers like memory walk, mind shard and thought bomb does not.

However, there are several types of "attacks" that you could still use. Look at the Jedi Consular tree in the Core book. You could just talk him to death  

That reminds me of a Wolverine parody in which he speaks a bunch of ninjas to death by drengthening them with talk.

Fair enough. In that case, all Force powers ignore DR, because none of them are actually an attack. Form powers notwithstanding.
DR will apply in most cases.  It will NOT normally apply to damage from a lightsaber but it IS effective against other forms of damage.

Jedi duel coming up. The Jedi player have the talent Damage Reduction 10 and the force power Energy Resistance.

These do not stack, do they?

Damage Reduction never stacks. You use the DR that “most benefits the character” – Core page 158.

They do not work against a lightsaber, do they?

Lightsabers ignore all DR, no matter what. They ignore DR 10, Energy Resistance DR, Elite Trooper DR. Unless the DR specifically says, “Lightsabers do not ignore this DR

Do they protect against the Mind-Affecting powers such as Memory Walk and Mind Shard?

My rationale is that many force powers such as Force Lightning are literally described as an "attack" but the mind-affecting ones are not.

Actually, Force Lightning was errata’d to remove the word “attack”:

SECR Errata:

p. 97 – Force Lightning
Change the phrase “If the attack hits…” to “If the skill check equals or exceeds the target’s Reflex Defense…” and change the phrase “If the attack misses…” to “Otherwise…”

Therefore, none of the Force powers are “attacks.” However, I still believe that DR applies to Force powers. If you get hit with Force Slam, why shouldn’t the DR apply? Force powers do not bypass DR. So following this logic, even the [mind-affecting] force powers should not bypass DR.

Also, here is a quote from Saga Edition FAQ:

Q21: Is Dark Healing affected by Damage Reduction 10?

A: Yes. Pretty much everything except lightsabers is effected by damage reduction.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

Thanks.

A: Yes. Pretty much everything except lightsabers is effected by damage reduction.

Should work on Vital Transfer as well then.

Most probably. But it costs a FP to use DR 10. You can spend a FP with Vital Transfer to avoid taking any damage.

But I guess if you've just come out of battle with DR 10 and you're still within the 1 minute of its use, the DR 10 would apply to taking damage when using Vital Transfer.

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

Most probably. But it costs a FP to use DR 10. You can spend a FP with Vital Transfer to avoid taking any damage.

But I guess if you've just come out of battle with DR 10 and you're still within the 1 minute of its use, the DR 10 would apply to taking damage when using Vital Transfer.

The only time I see it comes handy is if you have 3-4 Vital Transfer in your suite and wish to heal your group. I am a bit concerned over the mere absurdity of this though, such as being able to reduce the cost of Vital Transfer through wearing some types of armor. I believe I need to pay respect to the source of the DR and the nature of the attack to determine if it actually makes sense.

The only time I see it comes handy is if you have 3-4 Vital Transfer in your suite and wish to heal your group. I am a bit concerned over the mere absurdity of this though, such as being able to reduce the cost of Vital Transfer through wearing some types of armor. I believe I need to pay respect to the source of the DR and the nature of the attack to determine if it actually makes sense.

I agree. However, armor doesn't normally grant DR, so you don't really need to worry about that. The only armor in Saga that I can find that grants unconditional DR is Orbalisk Armor, which are actually parasites that bond to your body through the dark side of the force.

Also, if you have the Durasteel Cast armor template, you gain DR 1, and superior tech can grant DR 2. But since these numbers are so small, I don't think it's a big deal if you heal 20 hp with Vital Transfer and take 8 damage instead of 10 damage. You can rule that DR from armor doesn't apply to Vital Transfer damage, but then we have to ask, why would the DR from armor apply to Mind Shard damage? I say leave the DR as it is and keep it consistent. It's much simpler that way.

Also, I think it is rare for anyone to have 3-4 Vital Transfer in their suite. It's more common for a group to have 2 jedi that each have 1 Vital Transfer. They can heal their entire group in a few minutes. However, if one guy has DR 10 and wants to use a FP to activate it heal his friends with 3-4 Vital Transfers without taking damage, I would allow it. After all he's spent 3-4 force power slots for Vital Transfers and a FP. That's a lot of resources.