Captivating Vampire

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
captivating vampire how do you go about stopping this, because from what i understand if someone brings it out they can tap 5 vampires right away as this card its self isnt being tapped so summoning sickness dosnt apply to it, but if you destroy it as soon as its played can they still activate its ability, or if they activate its ability then tap 5 vampires can you say i'll destroy one of your 5 vampires so you cant tap it, im confussed.
If you let it resolve and they have 5 vamps out (including Captivating Vampire), there's no much you can do to stop it. If you try to destroy it before it activates the ability, they can activate it in response. If you wait until they've activated the ability, you're too late, as even if the Captivating Vampire is no longer around abilities on the stack are independent of their source.

Now, when they cast Captivating Vampire, you can always kill vampires currently out in response to the spell cast, before it resolves, so that they don't have 5 when it actually hits the table. You can also counter the activated ability. There are plenty of other options of dealing with it - Pithing Needle, Essence Scatter, Homeward Path etc. How to best deal with it is probably best asked in cards and combos or the casual forums.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
I play a deck that uses Captivating Vampire in this way, and the best responses my opponents give are:

1) Don't let me get 5 vampires in the first place. If I can do that, I'd probably win without using the creature steal anyway. Start to get nervous when I cast the third, and take action after the fourth.
2) Take advantage of the fact that I'm now almost defenseless. I might have six creatures, but five of them are tapped. If you forced me to activate the Captivating Vampire before your combat phase (say, with Terminate), you might have a chance to get in a big swing. This leads to
3) Try to keep on top of my life total. If I can't afford to "spend" five perfectly good blockers, I'm not going to.

Wouldn't you be able to activate the Captivating Vampire's ability in response to having a Prison Term attach to him before that resolved?
Yes, alas!

Don't forget Split Second
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Don't forget Split Second

That'd only work if CV entered on another player's turn

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

captivating vampire how do you go about stopping this, because from what i understand if someone brings it out they can tap 5 vampires right away as this card its self isnt being tapped so summoning sickness dosnt apply to it,

Do take note that Captivating Vampire can very well tap itself among the five Vampires, even if it currently suffers from summoning sickness. Summoning sicknes only apllies to the Tap SYMBOL , not to the WORD «tap».
(SS also applies to the Untap Symbol )
302.6. A creature’s activated ability with the tap symbol or the untap symbol in its activation cost can’t be activated unless the creature has been under its controller’s control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. A creature can’t attack unless it has been under its controller’s control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. This rule is informally called the “summoning sickness” rule.

Actually, 2Goth, Sudden Death would mess me up quite a bit. I prefer to wait until the end of my opponent's turn to activate Captivating Vampire (I call him "Edward Cullen," much to the chagrin of everyone). I consider it more advantageous to wait until the last possible moment before tapping out, so I wouldn't be able to avoid a split second death.
I have to agree, split second cards like Sudden Death or Sudden Shock would work as unless you've played against the person+deck running those before, you probably won't be expecting them - and when you don't have any restrictions on activating an ability, often you want to leave it as late as possible, to try and hinder your opponent a little more than otherwise. But of course, that's not news to many players.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O