Making a Beast Hunter?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So after getting into a miniature wargaming game I found a mini I think I'd like to base a character off of, but I'm at a loss at how to begin to make it. The miniature's name is "Alten Ashley, Monster Hunter". Essentially he's dex-based and has a hunting rifle and is an expert at shooting up all kinds of beasts from across the lands due to his knowledge of their anatomies and so on. 

Now all I can think of off the top of my head is the Scholar theme, the rifle is easily a crossbow or even bow reflavored, and the "dealing extra damage due to knowledge of anatomy" leads me to think Rogue for sneak attack, though that's more of a general thing. What I'd really like to maximize here is stacking up all sorts of damage buffs and various other things that deal with creatures with the "Beast" type. It's a fairly general keyword that comes up often enough with all the magical beasts and such, and not so rare that I wouldn't get much use out of the character if I were to say a "Reptile Hunter" or even "Undead Hunter". Of course it depends on the campaign, but as the one I'm playing in isn't really "undead focused" or anything and more of a general "here's all these random creatures" the concept seems to be useful. In addition INT seems good for all those knowledge checks to identify weaknesses in monsters. 

I'm not really asking for anyone to "Build me a character" or anything, just looking for some good suggestions on where to start with the build or point out some key feats or items that are a bit specific to this concept, maybe perhaps items that get overlooked in normal builds? 

Also below is a pic of the miniature I'm attempting to build this character off of. It should be noted he IS NOT good with his longsword in any way, it's simply there so he can make "opportunity attacks" of sorts.
Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun!
Take a look over Shoot to Thrill.  Ranger seems like exactly what you are after.

I think there was a paragon path out there somewhere where you could have a favoured enemy.  As I recall, it was not a particularly good PP, which is why I probably do not remember anything else about it.

Anyway - load up on the Nature skill so you can ID all the beasts you come across.

I think there was a paragon path out there somewhere where you could have a favoured enemy.  As I recall, it was not a particularly good PP, which is why I probably do not remember anything else about it.

Anyway - load up on the Nature skill so you can ID all the beasts you come across.

There are several - anti-humanoid, anti-dragon, anti-lycanthrope and anti-giant in particular.  TTBOMK none of them are any good even in a campaign where you fight nothing but a given type of enemy.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.