Lightbringer: Armor and Shield proficiencies?

For the 12/17 playtest packet:

The Classes document, under the cleric section, specifically states that unless a diety entry indicates otherwise, Clerics actually have no special armor or shield proficiencies.

Two Dieties, Lightbringer and Arcanist, list no special armor or shield proficiencies.   It therefore follows that Lighbringer Clerics and Arcanist clerics are unable to use armor or shields.   Indeed, neither equipment list for these clerics includes any armor or shield.

However, the playtest pre-gens have a human cleric who is a Lightbringer cleric, utilizing Studded Leather Armor (medium armor).

So, which is incorrect?

They must not have updated the pre-gens fully. The Arcanist doesn't get armor proficiency because it's basically a Wizard-Cleric and relies on Mage Armor. The Lightbringer to my best guess is poorly defended because it gets to cast Lance of Faith as a reaction when something attacks it with melee, and resolve the spell before the attack, so I guess it's meant to deter attackers. I think they should at least get light armor, though. Arcanist is fine, it can cast both Mage Armor and Shield of Faith.
Yes, lord Kyrion is right that the pre-gen is wrong and the Lightbringer is not supposed to be able to wear armor.

The designers said they wanted to try a more "white mage" style of armor-less cleric and the lightbringer is their attempt at that.  
Just make a Mountain Dwarf Lightbringer and take advantage of that free medium armor prof.
1)  I think that they should get some armor.  Perhaps the Arcanist remains unarmored by default - but the light-bringer ought to have some armor.    For that matter - why are the only two armor properties "No armor" or "All armor" - there are no deities granting light armor or medium armor proficiecies?

2)  I think that the combination of "you can cast spells in any armor you are proficient in" and "Mountain dwarves are proficient in medium and heavy armor -and get an AC bonus to boot" is a problem.

Nevermind the fact that it makes it nearly obligatory for all lightbringer and arcanist clerics to be Mountain dwarves (what other racial feature is possibly worth as much as nine points of AC?).  It also means that most wizards ought to be mountain dwarves as well.    Which is more valuable?  A single point of intelligence (High Elf) or wearing plate armor with an AC bonus to top of that?

They either need to reconsider the 'if you are proficient in the armor you can cast spells in it" idea - or they need to change the MDwarf racial benefit.

I'd rather they changed the dwarf.

Carl
The Dwarf feature should just grant the bonus if your class gives you proficiency, not grant free proficiency, just like the weapon training does.
The Dwarf feature should just grant the bonus if your class gives you proficiency, not grant free proficiency, just like the weapon training does.

I'd rather have weapon training work by giving the prof and you get a bonus if you get them if your class already gets it instead of your suggestion.

I think they're going for a sort of "Warcraft Priest" build with the Lightbringer. Hopefully in later packets they get some more buff and heal spells.

Well, in other threads you have players complaining that humans are way too strong and no racial bonus is worth giving up 6 attribute points.

However, note that the bonus grants medium and light, not heavy, though it does grant an additional +1 AC bonus when wearing medium (or heavy) armor.

Easily obtainable medium armor only offers up to 14 AC.  Compared to mage armor, it's 2 points better, but it also limits DEX bonus to +2.  An 20 dex wizard will actually have higher AC in a robe.  Now, 20 dex on a wizard might not be super common, but giving up 6 points of stats to make a mountain dwarf instead of a human, including 2 points of int, I think it's fair that the mountain dwarf can get a higher AC by default when the wizard is below 20 dex.
you're right, it should at least give light armour proficiency...
Sign In to post comments