Best Gatecrash guild combo

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'll be doing a 2HG sealed prerelease event with my daughter. I haven't had a chance to really look at all the spoiled cards yet, so which two guilds should we pick that would complement each other mechanically? The only restriction is that we don't want the guilds to share a color, so we don't have to fight over any mono-color cards from our sealed pool.

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, but didn't know where else to put it since GTC is still in spoiler phase.

Thanks!
I was going to suggest Dimir and Orzhov, but they both share black. Also, it's really hard to say what will go well with what since we haven't seen the majority of commons/uncommons yet.
I understand, thanks. I just have to get registered before they sell-out.

Just taking our play styles into account, I think we will go with Boros + Simic. I like the weenie/rush play, and my daughter likes putting counters on her fatties.

Given that, based on what's spoiled, are there any synergies or strategies we should look for?
It's worth noting that bloodrush can target any attacking creature, not just your own. So Gruul + Orzhov or Gruul + Dimir could be decent.

Just taking our play styles into account, I think we will go with Boros + Simic. I like the weenie/rush play, and my daughter likes putting counters on her fatties.

Given that, based on what's spoiled, are there any synergies or strategies we should look for?

Not sure about synergies right now, however things to keep in mind:

Both guilds can splash Gruuls fairly well, and Gruul works with both guilds quite well.  For Evolve, it gives some mid-range creatures for efficient costs, has added damage boosts, and also helps evolve out a lot.  For Boros, it mainly provides efficient creature to attack with to trigger Battalion, as well as solid middle game creature plays and late game pump.

As far as Simic is concerned, one card to really include is Rapid Hybridization.  Depending on your daughter's skill level she may not see the potency of it right away, however it does two things for Simic:

1.  It is the most efficient Removal one can hope for.  Non-conditional removal, no regen, at instant speed, and all at the low cost of .
2.  It can help your evolvers out in a pinch if you draw into a mid to late game Cloudfin Raptor or the like.  Drop the Raptor, destroy it and replace it with a more relevant 3/3 body while simultaneously evolving your creatures.

Also, as far as simic is concerned, a single Leyline Phantom can actually be pretty decent.  It gets a lot of flak, however considering it is both an evolve enable and a hefty body.  No more than 1 should do, however, as you don't want to be drawing heavily into them.

As for Boros, I will say I'm not particularly impressed with the guild.  Still, has some nice cards that are extremely efficient.  One thing to consider is keeping a Skullcrack ready to be sideboarded in against Orzhov to prevent them from stabalizing.  Also, the Keyrune+Bloodrush(From a gruul splash) could be a game ender in and of itself.

cipher + extort is the best combo right now, free spellcast means you have the mana to extort. Milling and stalling goes hand in hand. But ummm...

I guess gruul and orzhov could be your best bet. Bloodrush allows "target creature" to be boosted, so you can help your daughter when she's in trouble, while Orzhov can gain you life and control like a boss so you guys don't die.
Orzhov and Gruul will play really well together, IMHO.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Thanks for the input guys. And just because she's my daughter, don't assume she's not the better player... I'm the one that will most likely need saving.

So in 2HG, does Extort take/give 2 life?
Thanks for the input guys. And just because she's my daughter, don't assume she's not the better player... I'm the one that will most likely need saving.

So in 2HG, does Extort take/give 2 life?

I think in 2HG, both of you share a life total of 30, iirc.  So it would still only trigger once.
boros and gruul are probably going to be the best combination, boros creatures with gruul pumping ability is going to be a nightmare to go against
Extort syphons life from each opponent, and since there are two opponents it will take 2 life. That's why cards like Guttersnipe and Deathrite Shaman are so potent in 2HG
boros and gruul are probably going to be the best combination, boros creatures with gruul pumping ability is going to be a nightmare to go against

The thing you have to remember is you want a good spread of colors in 2HG so that you can have as many answers as possible, at least that's how i see it.

Boros and simic wouldn't seem all that bad either, as you'll have plenty of good creatures and spells to choose from with plenty of agro for the pressure.

In limited. In Constructed, I'd say Boros and Selesnya just because all those tokens love them some battalion.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

In limited. In Constructed, I'd say Boros and Selesnya just because all those tokens love them some battalion.

I meant purely in a limited format, whats good in the constructed game is anyones guess...
Actually in my experience you really don't want to go two guilds that share a color. Your decks end up fighting for their share of card, like black control spells.

My girlfriend and I are going Orzhov/Simic.
Naya Humans will be coming to town...
boros + gruul + Basandra, Battle Seraph

swing with the aggresive boros with battalion, get Besandra up as soon as possible, then wreck with bloodrush because it isn't a spell

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
As a few people have pointed out, the fact that (to my knowledge) you share card pools in the Gatecrash Prerelease for 2HG means that you're more likely to individually make stronger decks if you do not share any colors.

Assuming you play only 2 colors, only about 40% of your entire card pool would be usable. Ideally, to make the most of what you get, particularly the better rares and uncommons, you don't want to be sharing that 40% at all. 

I was thinking of playing 2HG with a friend, but a change of plans means I won't. However, we had personally agreed upon Gruul/Orzhov or Orzhov/Simic as our own combinations due to the synergy that can be made without sharing colors.

In Gruul/Orzhov, we had planned for the Orzhov player to build a deck with Lifelink in mind, if possible, as well as making use of monoblack Dimir-themed Cipher cards. Meanwhile, the Gruul will make the most of bloodrush, having a very creature-heavy deck with a lot of cards to pump attacking creatures.

The Orzhov will play as aggressively as possible when the Gruul player has cards to Bloodrush with, meaning that opponents that block will tend to lose creatures in the ensuing trade or a lot of life while the pumped attack means that lifelink becomes almost insurmountable. A +4/+2 pump on, say, a 2/2 lifelink creature will ensure a lifegain of 6 while a potential damage of 6, or destroying a blocker or two. Otherwise, the Orzhov player will play defensively, chump blocking with lifelink and using the fact that Extort now steals 2 life from the opposing 'team' to ensure the gap in life stays wide. The creature-heavy Gruul can both provide chump blockers consistently as well as his own fatties or huge bloodrush late-game to finish an opponent that has been drained by the Orzhov player.

Of course, nothing will ever go perfect, but the (hopefully) large amounts of lifegain means that the Gruul player can take risks and get into late-game safely, two very beneficial things. Also, any monoblack Dimir cipher cards can be taken advantage of if the Gruul has any bloodrush effects that provide trample, hopefully meaning that your opponents chump blockers won't be an obstacle into getting multiple uses out of an Encoded spell.

Otherwise, Orzhov/Simic works as a more defensive version of a similar principle. Orzhov focuses almost exclusively on Extort and blockers, and keeps the team alive as the Simic plays an Evolve-heavy strategy to get large numbers of large creatures and use effects like Fathom Mage to get the card advantage needed to turn late-games into our advantage.

We'd also considered breaking our self-imposed rule of 'no conflicting colors' completely by going as two Dimir players, and just milling like crazy. Assuming everyone plays 40 card decks, then if we both target a single part of the opposing team, we just need to mill about 14 cards each and we beat the entire team on turn 5/6. Unfortunately, we don't know if there'll be that many mill cards to share between us, and it'll be both inconsistent and we'll fall BADLY to aggressive decks like Boros or Gruul.

Hopefully you got some ideas that you found helpful.
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)

Boros is actually a very good idea on one side of this, because the Battalion keyword is VERY 2HG friendly: It merely cares that two other creatures are attacking -- it doesn't matter who controls them. And the only format that allows players to attack simultaneously is ... 2HG!

Boros is a great color ro damage and weenie and just plain damage. If you need a color to help with that, such as a support/removal set up, then Orzhov or Dimir will likely be your best bet: orzhov helps you stabilize and can block decently, while hurting your opponent's development, and Dimir will host a number of evasive stuff plus board control that will fight their development they've managed to pull through. Orzhov shares White with Boros, so you can just aim for Boros/Dimir.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Extort syphons life from each opponent, and since there are two opponents it will take 2 life. That's why cards like Guttersnipe and Deathrite Shaman are so potent in 2HG

I never play 2HG exept with friends... interesting, I'll pay more attention to multiple player damage spells from now. Thank you.

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

I never play 2HG exept with friends... interesting, I'll pay more attention to multiple player damage spells from now. Thank you.

yep, another good combo, megrims + skull rend. with only 2 megrims up, thats...20 damage

2 for each opponent from skull rend (4 total)
player 1 discards 2 cards and takes 4 damage from each card discarded (if 2 megrims are up) (8 total)
repeat previous math for player 2 (8 total)

4+8+8 = 20 fun times 

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.