[GTC-ICD] Simic Manipulator

48 posts / 0 new
Last post

Simic Manipulator |
Creature - Mutant Wizard (R)
Evolve (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature has greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
, Remove one or more +1/+1 counters from ~: Gain control of target creature with power less than or equal to the number of +1/+1 counters removed this way.
0/1

oh beguiler of wills why you playable now? 

also this should be a dimir card =( 

at least it's monoblue =D 
Oh wow, must find way to add +1/+1 counter fast!, also it doesn't return the stolen creature
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
WOAH! THAT'S HORRIBLE!

Seriously though. This is in the running for the worst rare in the set.
WOAH! THAT'S HORRIBLE!

must find a way to break this... increasing savagery?
I preferred Cytoplast Manipulator.

This isn't awful, but it ain't great.
WOAH! THAT'S HORRIBLE!

Then your jumping through all these hoops to play Mind Control that still has a relatively low upper power limit. There's really just no feasible way for this to be worthwhile.
This definitely isn't going to cut it in constructed. But I can appreciate that it curves perfectly into Increasing Savagery.
WOAH! THAT'S HORRIBLE!

Then your jumping through all these hoops to play Mind Control that still has a relatively low upper power limit. There's really just no feasible way for this to be worthwhile.

well.. at least you can tap for 0 to steal their fog banks/axebane guardians. Or use jace's -1/-0 to steal one of their utility 1/1s
Well, I know what I'll be opening at the prerelease.
Wizards ate my account that needed no sig, so I guess I need one now.
This definitely isn't going to cut it in constructed. But I can appreciate that it curves perfectly into Increasing Savagery.

Even then, I can't get behind this. This goes down in one of two ways.
1. You waste him stealing a subpar creature.
2. You waste time an resources getting him big enough to steal a good creatures, when you could just play Mind Control.
Master biomaster and this will probably be good friends
WOAH! THAT'S HORRIBLE!

well.. at least you can tap for 0 to steal their fog banks/axebane guardians. Or use jace's -1/-0 to steal one of their utility 1/1s

you can't tap for 0.  i miss agony warp.  remember when dimir had good cards?  it was called 'alara'.
WOAH! THAT'S HORRIBLE!

You don't lose the creature you stole if you lose the Manipulator. And the guild in Limited at least and possibly in Constructed formats will be able to grow him rather well. Better yet?
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
WOAH! THAT'S HORRIBLE!

You don't lose the creature you stole if you lose the Manipulator. And the guild in Limited at least and possibly in Constructed formats will be able to grow him rather well. Better yet?

a 3 mana 0/1 do nothing is far from what you want to be doing in constructed formats. 
One thing I will say about this card: it's going to be awesome in my Experiment Kraj EDH deck.
That's a nice Guildmage/Deathrite Shaman/silly red fast creature/etc. you have there.
WOAH! THAT'S HORRIBLE!

a 3 mana 0/1 do nothing is far from what you want to be doing in constructed formats. 

Unfortunately, this kind of card cannot be looked at through a vacuum. You have to consider what other things are coming your way. In this case, you may extrapolate what you might be doing before you drop this, and what you might drop when this creature loses summoning sickness. Consider a progression of turns in which you evolve up to this creature in the curve, then drop the next creature in the curve. Like, say, the OTHER Simic card previewed today, Master Biomancer. How big do you think Simic Manipulator would be, then? What could it grab?
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
I love the artwork. I love how the is a throwback to [c]cytoplast manipulator. I aslo love its ability. I dont care if it will never help me win a PT or even a FNM, this card is awesome.  No, this card is if awesome and kick-ass had a love child.
Just Hydrosurge a creature and steal it.  Even with that, it's pretty janky.
WOAH! THAT'S HORRIBLE!

Unfortunately, this kind of card cannot be looked at through a vacuum. You have to consider what other things are coming your way. In this case, you may extrapolate what you might be doing before you drop this, and what you might drop when this creature loses summoning sickness. Consider a progression of turns in which you evolve up to this creature in the curve, then drop the next creature in the curve. Like, say, the OTHER Simic card previewed today, Master Biomancer. How big do you think Simic Manipulator would be, then? What could it grab?

So yeah, in a world where you curve your rares and mythics out perfectly, it MIGHT do something nice. But 90% of the time you are going to hate this card because it won't do what you want it do.
Ehh...what's killing me is that there's not a whole lot worth stealing at 1 power (even the 1-drops these days have 2 power), which means you will have to evolve twice before you can even use this on a 1-drop.

Granted, if you do actually snag a creature, this is pretty much worth-it.  As soon as you successfully grab anything, it's the same cost as Threads of Disloyalty and about the same effect.  But needing to evolve twice just hurts.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Okay, aquus steed, your time has come to shine.
This is terrible.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Okay, all you need is Death's Presence and... a sac outlet, and... some way to untap this guy a bunch, I guess? And then you wind up with a poorly functioning, clunky pseudo-Plague Wind. Maybe if you add Doubling Season it would actually become useful, but...

Eh. Much as I want to break this, it's just not that good. The likelihood of this guy Evolving to the point where he can steal something relevant is vanishingly small outside of Limited. (It goes without saying, of course, that in Limited any repeated stealing of creatures, no matter how small and worthless they might be in other formats, is absurdly good.)
Rules Nut Advisor
Yeah expected something like that.
On the plus side: it's a simic creature that does something green could not.
Couldn't you team him up with some graft creatures to supercharge the effect? Turn one: Birds, turn two: Vigean Hydropon, Turn 3: this as a 5/6 that can steal anything they lay down?
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
cool card for sure.
Cool card.

Couldn't you team him up with some graft creatures to supercharge the effect? Turn one: Birds, turn two: Vigean Hydropon, Turn 3: this as a 5/6 that can steal anything they lay down?

"you may move counter" you cant move all 5 at once. 
I play for fun
Most of the creatures you'll want to steal are going to be from Orzhov or Boros anyways.  They'll have the early threats that you need to answer.  This guy will do it quite nicely for 1-2 counters.

I wish they had given rankings to Evolve.  This would have been a much better card if it had two counters placed on it for each Evolve trigger.
Simic manipulator+simic fluxmage+[Card]corpsejack menace[/card] = you doubble counters when creatures enter play, you doubble counters when they are moved; hillarity ensues....in magical christmas land.

The big problem remains though; fitting in the corpsejack menace without many other good black cards to synergize

EDIT: **** corpsejack menace! Just noticed that Master biomancer exsists:
No, you know what? Use them both and watch your enemy cry, a lot.

Creature -Elf WizardMythic Rare
Each creature you control enters the battlefield with a number of additional +1/+1 counters on it equal to Master Biomancer's power and as a Mutant in addition to its other types.
also this should be a dimir card =( 

at least it's monoblue =D 

Yeah because Dimir love using +1 +1 counters.
This may be playable in the right deck... But I doubt said right deck will be competitive enough.....

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
This sure is and interesting ability but im not sure how useful it will be.
I'm not a rules guy, but I assume someone can Giant Growth their creature to save it. That sucks.
I'm not a rules guy, but I assume someone can Giant Growth their creature to save it. That sucks.

Unexpected interaction, unexpected results. We must dissect it, and study this in detail ...

It seems really slow.  But fun.
Its a pity that all the time that will be spent in taking over the board with this can be undone for at instant speed.

Unexpected interaction, unexpected results. We must dissect it, and study this in detail ...

Disgaea reference? It seems I have much to learn. (Boom!)

Anyway, though, but as other people have mentioned, you can just (appropriately enough) Downsize the Giant Growthed target. That said, this card isn't strong, reliable or fast enough to be worth building a deck around, but any less and you won't realistically get any good targets for of him without wasting more effort than its worth. That said.... Mind Control isn't in standard, and this is no aura, this is a permanent effect on legs that may be reused. The speed of using it and the difficulty in finding targets is abysmally worse than Mind Control, of course, but it IS cheaper, repeatable, at instant speed (with the flaw of summoning sickness, mind you) and on a potential blocker...a potential large blocker or attacker if REALLY necessary.

Yeah, it probably won't see Standard constructed play... but that isn't the only measure of the worth of a card, with Limited and EDH hanging around. I think this is a damn good card, both in power level and fun, even if it doesn't reach the standard of competetive constructed.
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
Its a pity that all the time that will be spent in taking over the board with this can be undone for at instant speed.

Lol. That'd be so humiliating! I mean, of all the charms, that should be one of the worst ones (if not THE worst)....to be caught by that would be a real downer.
Sign In to post comments