Suggesting Name Changes For Normal Weapons and Armor

This was split from a previous post with some changes.

Some of the weapon and armor names have been misleading for 20+ years. The goal of these suggestions is to make some minor changes that will make the game more approachable for newer players. It is not meant to get extremely realistic. This list is still simplified, but more correct with historical examples.

The litmus test for normal weapons and armor should be, "Can my player look it up on wikipedia and know what I'm talking about?" Then from there, add the fantasy versions. It'll save some headaches.

Weapons
Most of these ideas came from reading Ewart Oakeshott's reference and parts of Masters of Defence. When a history buff says they want a "longsword" like in the books, they mean a sword that had nearly a four foot blade and was usually used two-handed, wielded almost like a staff, and was used for piercing even more than slashing. The "short sword" or "arming sword" is more along the lines of a typical D&D longsword. Yes, there were bastard swords, but it usually referred to something between the length of a one-handed or two-handed sword. This would be my revised list. Please help me with this if you see fit:

Dagger - 1d4 piercing
Shortsword - 1d6 piercing
Sword (replaces original long sword) - 1d8 slashing
Longsword (replaces the bastard sword) - 1d8/1d10 slashing, versatile
Greatsword - 2d6 slashing, heavy, two-handed

Armor
I'm not able to find real examples of banded and ring mail. Banded seems to be laminar armor and ring sounds like a version of studded leather. Hide seems a crude form of leather armor, using thicker hides in place of techniques to thicken and strengthen leather. Speaking of leather, I work with leather in real life making wallets, purses and dabbling in scabbards and armor. Leather is soaked in hot (not boiling) water and shaped to dry. As it dries, it shrinks and thickens. It is not boiled in oil or beeswax. Those are used to seal it and make it more supple. You will cut through leather boiled in oil fairly easily.
Also, padded armor, often worn under other armor for comfort and warmth, is not encumbering and should not affect stealth. Many real examples of padded armor weigh less than leather. I would suggest the following changes:

Padded armor, 11+Dex (stealth disadvantage removed)
Leather armor, 12+Dex
Dragon leather, 13+Dex
Mithral shirt, 14+Dex
Hide (removed)
Ring (removed)
Laminar (replacing Banded)

Padded: Padded armor consists of quilted layers of cloth worn as a pullover or jacket that can extend as far as the knees. It can be worn under heavier armors for comfort and warmth or by itelf. Many knights would remove their heavy armor and rest in their padded armor. It is comfortable enough to sleep in if necessary, although may become grimy, smelly, and bug-infested if worn for long periods of time without cleaning. If worn under heavier armor, only the heavier armors Armor Class is counted.

Leather: Description as written but "...has been stiffened by being boiled or made from the thicker hides of large and possibly exotic animals."

Studded Leather: Studded leather is leather armor that is reinforced with closely set rivets, spikes, rings, or in rare cases tough bone or even coins.

Laminar: "This armor is made of overlapping, horizontal strips of metal..."

Thanks for any input. 

+ Lorica Segmenta
Here we go again.

D&D is not a historical simulation.  It does not take place in our real world history, so therefore, there is no reason for real world historical terms to be used.

Maybe it was called an 'arming sword' in the real world.  But on Faerun, Eberron, Greyhawk, etc, it's called a long sword.
+ Lorica Segmenta

Ole, exactly right. Lorica Segmentata is a type of laminar armor. It has been described as bands of metal, etc. I'm guessing that's how it became "Banded armor" in early editions of D&D.
Here we go again.

D&D is not a historical simulation.  It does not take place in our real world history, so therefore, there is no reason for real world historical terms to be used.

Maybe it was called an 'arming sword' in the real world.  But on Faerun, Eberron, Greyhawk, etc, it's called a long sword.

LolaBonne, you are certainly right when it comes to arming sword, smallsword, epee, seax and so on. Different languages and cultures. This all comes from a quick search of "longsword" on the Internet. Widely accepted definitions of "longsword" contradict what's in the core rules. This causes minor confusion that is quickly cleared up.

Having to say, "Here we go again" points to this coming up often enough over the years. It's a good opportunity for a change. If it's not changed, I'm still playing the game. I'll just have to explain it again. Changing it now is a "low hanging fruit". Small, non-game effecting changes make the game more accessible for new players.
Twelfth time this has come up. Not going to happen. Next thread.
They aren't going to change the names, and probably shouldn't. But I would be a bit happy if they had a short description of each weapon/armor that mentioned the actual historical terms that they are supposed to correspond to.

And fix the weights.
Here we go again.

LolaBonne, you are certainly right when it comes to arming sword, smallsword, epee, seax and so on. Different languages and cultures. This all comes from a quick search of "longsword" on the Internet. Widely accepted definitions of "longsword" contradict what's in the core rules. This causes minor confusion that is quickly cleared up.

In nearly 30 years of D&D, I have never once seen a single person confused by the concept of the longsword.

Having to say, "Here we go again" points to this coming up often enough over the years. It's a good opportunity for a change.

No, it means the medaeval history enthusiasts need to realize that they are very, very, very VERY small minority of D&D players, and that the vast majority of people simply don't care.

If it's not changed, I'm still playing the game. I'll just have to explain it again. Changing it now is a "low hanging fruit". Small, non-game effecting changes make the game more accessible for new players.

I don't see how using weird terms 99 percent of the world has never heard of make the game more accessible.
They aren't going to change the names, and probably shouldn't. But I would be a bit happy if they had a short description of each weapon/armor that mentioned the actual historical terms that they are supposed to correspond to.

And fix the weights.

Short description, some fantasy and history examples would be great! I agree, the weights are heavy.
D&D also has a very different take on what a Kobold is than actual mythology. I'll stick with the longsword and bastard sword.
But D&D does evolve (albeit glacially) in the the weapon and armor descriptions. Recall the rapiers in 3.5 were described as actual rapiers, but were drawn in all the artwork as these useless-looking slender machetes. Similarly now, shortswords seem to be smallswords (piercing) rather than cutlasses or wakazashis. Also there are no more helmets and breastplates either.

But really, the one that really sticks in my historically-informed-snobby craw is "longsword". Please call it anything else (backsword, sidesword, broadsword, sabre, yatagan, falchion, whatever, honestly) except longsword. 

I imagine that term has got quite a bit of inertia, though.
I'd rather they just stick to simple weapon groups for core and give examples as flavor. Such as:

Light Edged (shortsword, hand axe, et al)
Heavy Edged (longsword, battleaxe, greatsword, greataxe)
Light Piercing (dagger, spear/javelin, light pick)
Heavy Piercing (longspear, lance, heavy pick)
Light Blunt (light mace, throwing hammer, sap)
Heavy Blunt (heavy mace, warhammer, maul, lucerne hammer)

Just designate the handed-ness of the weapon to get the damage. Light weapons do d6, heavy does d8, adding a hand increases the die two steps. Done. Let more specific rules be handled via modules.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
While I appreciate the nod to history, I have to disagree with the OP. When I play d&d the word "longsword" is a recognizable, fundamental part of the game. I'm guessing that most people who have played d&d for an extended amount of time would agree that "longsword" immediately conjures the image of a generally useful, one-handed blade.

Also, I do agree that the weight on weapons should be lowered a bit.
While I appreciate the nod to history, I have to disagree with the OP. When I play d&d the word "longsword" is a recognizable, fundamental part of the game.

To me real history is more important than a rediculous error made by Gary/Dave... Calling the 1handed sword a one-handed sword wont make it stop being D&D.

Note the longsword in 4e is a versatile weapon used 2 or 1 handed and closer to being historically accurate.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

While I appreciate the nod to history, I have to disagree with the OP. When I play d&d the word "longsword" is a recognizable, fundamental part of the game.

To me real history is more important than a rediculous error made by Gary/Dave... Calling the 1handed sword a one-handed sword wont make it stop being D&D.

Note the longsword in 4e is a versatile weapon used 2 or 1 handed and closer to being historically accurate.

Yep, and you could still use a longsword two handed in 3.x to add your strength and a half to damage. Not quite as good probably, but it still added a level of versatility. What I'm saying is that yes it is historically incorrect, but as far as the culture of d&d goes, it is a recognizable and (to some at least) an integral part of the weapon roster.
  but as far as the culture of d&d goes

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

'Kay, having something be recognizable to most people who have played the game for several editions would be a bad thing. Glad I'm at least amusing you.

'Kay, 

If it quits being D&D because it doesnt have nomenclature error.. you have turned it into a religion.

'Kay, 

If it quits being D&D because it doesnt have nomenclature error.. you have turned it into a religion.

I never said it would quit being d&d, I just said it is part of the culture of d&d at this point. I'm not saying you shouldn't want it changed or that I would stop playing it if it was. I'm just saying it's easily recognizable at this point in the game, and to me that makes it more practical.

'Kay, 

No, he's treating it like a business, which it is.  All the rolling emoticons and pleas to the SCA gods aren't going to change the fundamental issue that certain historical inaccuracies have seeped into the D&D consumership and it's not worth the opportunity cost of removing them just so the medievalists' egos can be assuaged.

...that certain historical inaccuracies have seeped into the D&D consumership and it's not worth the opportunity cost of removing them just so the medievalists' egos can be assuaged.

What "opportunity cost"? You think people will stop playing D&D if "longsword" becomes a term for a two-handed weapon? 

...that certain historical inaccuracies have seeped into the D&D consumership and it's not worth the opportunity cost of removing them just so the medievalists' egos can be assuaged.

What "opportunity cost"? You think people will stop playing D&D if "longsword" becomes a term for a two-handed weapon? 

Yes. Some people will say, "What are they doing changing all the weapon names around? It makes no sense. Screw it, I'm playing Pathfinder."
dagger, light, thrown, 1d4, 1lb
short sword, light, 1d6, 2lb
long sword, one handed, 1d8/1d10(two handed), 3lb
great sword, two handed, 2d6, 5lb

that would sum things up.

I'm saying when you change things it's a cost to brand identity.  Alone it may not change anything, but it's not going to be alone.  There are other, more important changes being made to classes, to races, to alignment, to spells, to everything.  So don't change things you don't have to.  You dont' have to change this.  And thus they wont' change it.

'Kay, 

No, he's treating it like a business, which it is.  All the rolling emoticons and pleas to the SCA gods

Its a silly error in a very "niche" game  and at some level pretending its a "culture" is really us taking it too seriously, it really does deserve to be taken with humor.

Not fixing known errors is the absolute worst thing that "TRADITION" does.

That said its also a mostly inconsequential error... until one notices things like the following.
SCA folk I know have let D&D innacuracies like 3+ foot "long swords" and ceremonial weapon weights misconstrued as real use weights..  seep in to them (they are not really historical about anything).

history dies one ignorant bit at a time.

There are few things I despise more than the "D&D shoudl be a teaching aid" meme like this.  D&D has no responsiblity to history.  It has no higher calling.  You call it a "very 'nich' game" (as opposed to the SCA?!)  It is.  It's a frickin' game.  It's job is to entertain, not to teach.  It has no duty to be accurate whatsoever.  So get off the high horse of historical accuracy.  This is a product, not a teaching aid.  It's a rulebook, not a textbook.

There are few things I despise more than the "D&D shoudl be a teaching aid" meme like this.  

Back in the 80s I actually had teachers asking me about using it exactly as a teaching aid (not for historical elements).. but rather for the socialization benefits.

I dont use the word despise for many things.

I despise Tradition being used as an excuse for doing things wrong, its why I am not religious.

Back in the 80s I actually had teachers asking me about using it exactly as a teaching aid (not for historical elements).. but rather for the socialization benefits.

Good, then your teachers are smarter than you.  D&D is not an aid for history.

I despise Tradition being used as an excuse for doing things wrong, its why I am not religious.

Tradition is a reason for doing things profitably.  The quicker you accept that the quicker you can stop banging your head against the walls you can't see.

I'm saying when you change things it's a cost to brand identity.  Alone it may not change anything, but it's not going to be alone.  There are other, more important changes being made to classes, to races, to alignment, to spells, to everything.  So don't change things you don't have to.  You dont' have to change this.  And thus they wont' change it.

Consider from the recent google hang out the fact they were stressing over changing "longsword" to "long sword." That is about as inconsequential as you can get, but they were still concerned over the potential negative impact of making a change to something that has been that way for over a decade.

Good, then your teachers are smarter than you. 

Was that necessary?

D&D is not an aid for history.

He wasnt my teacher .. though I did have teachers in highschool which used the Once and Future King as a sort of start off point for teaching historical elements. In fact D&D has probably inspired many folk to become interested in history. Having elements which are historical correspond better wont break the game.

Its a triviality and obviously not a deal breaker if they dont fix it... but its so fixable

This is a product, not a teaching aid.  It's a rulebook, not a textbook.

Fair enough.

But the desire to pick these nits does not stem from my desire to prove people wrong. Seeing a one-handed "longsword" bothers me about as much as spotting an English usage error in the PHB would, and roughly in the same way. It's not gonna make me throw the book down, cancel my DDI subscription, and vow to never roll dice again. But for a split second, I'd be distracted and annoyed. Arguably, fixing a mistake like "longsword" will  evoke the same reaction in longtime D&D fans, and also for the same traditional reasons.

The major difference, though, is that they are much more likely to get over it. Like you said, their traditional investment is in the game. The other traditional investment is in history and language.

Here we go again.

But in the Historical D&D Campaign source books from 2e real world historical terms are used.   

The major difference, though, is that they are much more likely to get over it.

You don't know that.  "Where's my longsword?!" might not be as likely to be gotten over as you suspect.
I think the end result is a game which emulates the experience of Heroic Fantasy/Legend and Myth...and those are really what I prefer, however it does seem to be such a shame to throw history under the bus so early and over things that really dont interfere with the Fantasy or the Legend or the Myth.

The major difference, though, is that they are much more likely to get over it.

You don't know that.  "Where's my longsword?!" might not be as likely to be gotten over as you suspect.

I cite "two-handed sword" as proof that it would. Recall that in AD&D the two-handed sword was a two-handed (duh) slashing and piercing weapon which inflicted 2d6 damage.

I don't see the hordes of AD&D traditionalists up in arms about this.
So why should "core" include actual weapon/armor names at all outside of flavor text?

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
I'm all for giving things the proper name... so long as the names used are the proper translations into the vernacular and not trying to pretend that because you're saying "sword" in another language that its somehow more exotic than it is.

- Maille is just "Mesh" in the common tongue of a people who used Chain Mesh armor.

- Laminar is just "Layered" in the common tongue of a people who used Layered plates in their armor.

- Brigandine is just "Soldier's Armor" in the common tongue of a people who had soldiers wearing that style of armor.

- Claymore (spelled claíomh mór in its native tongue) is just "Great/Large Sword" in the common tongue of people who used a big ass sword.

If you're going to present the arms and armor in an accurate history sense it should all be translated into the common tongue of the target market (mainly English in this case) because that's how it would sound to the native speakers of the day.

When a medieval Scottman went to a weaponsmith and said "An féidir liom a cheannach claíomh mór anseo?" what the weaponsmith would understand it as would be "Can I buy a large sword here?" and not "Can I buy a Claymore here?"

An accurate armor table would probably be Padding, Leather, Reinforced Leather, Mesh, Reinforced Mesh, and Plate.

An accurate table for swords would probably be Knife, Small Sword (one-handed only), Large Sword (versatile), Two-Handed Sword and Pole Sword (i.e. a sword blade mounted on the end of a long pole). If you must, throw in specific real world examples after each type (just be aware that most of the names that medievalists use are often just the above descriptors in another language.

A similar list for axes and other weapons with Small indicating one-handed only, Large indicating it can be used with either one or both hands, Two-Handed and Pole would far better capture the feeling of speaking in the vernacular of the time than trying to resurrect words from other languages to describe otherwise common items.

Maybe throw in Double [weapon type] too... while they aren't historically accurate, they do pop up with great frequency in fantasy and deserve to be included for precisely that reason.

Dagger - 1d4 piercing

Agree with this completely. Longswords are long, and I don't know how the guys at D&D ever got it so mixed up. I've had several longswords, and their blades have all been between 35" and 40", with long handles for two-handed use.

Leadership and class choice should have NOTHING to do with each other, EVER. Conflating the two is simply horrendous game design.

Maybe throw in Double [weapon type] too... while they aren't historically accurate, they do pop up with great frequency in fantasy and deserve to be included for precisely that reason.

I quite agree even though I support historical elements the fantasy shouldnt be dropped or undermined.

Dagger - 1d4 piercing

Agree with this completely. Longswords are long, and I don't know how the guys at D&D ever got it so mixed up. I've had several longswords, and their blades have all been between 35" and 40", with long handles for two-handed use.

Its apparently anti-D&D and anti-American pie to name things with a nod ot actual history ... it would reduce profits so much the game will die off.

Hell if the games brand identity is so meager it is based on an error of that scope... not sure it has much of an identity at all.