Need help with Monks and Weapons

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello fellow D&Ders, i have a question for you all.

So i asked my party what they want next time we play, so i can either stock store shelves, or create monster/dungeon drops. One person in my group, a Female Razorclaw Shifter Monk, wants to pick up a pair of elbow blades. They're basically Tonfas but the blunt wooden bar is replaced by a slightly curved blade that extends passed her elbows.

To my knowledge Monks don't use weapons, or if they did it's more for show and is treated as an impliment of sorts. The weapon doesn't exist in any databases i've looked at, so how would i go about this? Can these be used as like a Ki Focus (which if i remember right is like a Monk's impliment), or do the weapon stats HAVE to be applied? Does the monk need some form of training to use them? Do i modify the stats for Tonfas at all, like instead of d6 damage, they do d8?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i've only DM'd around three games. Thank you all in advance. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Right, monks use implements, but their attacks can be envisioned as coming from anything they use, including their body, weapons, improvised weapons, etc. So, just let the character describe the weapons, but continue to use the damage as listed in the implement attacks.

I suppose melee basic attacks would still need stats, so just treat them as shortswords, or something.

I really hope the game separates damage from weapons in the next edition or so.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Right, monks use implements, but their attacks can be envisioned as coming from anything they use, including their body, weapons, improvised weapons, etc. So, just let the character describe the weapons, but continue to use the damage as listed in the implement attacks.

I suppose melee basic attacks would still need stats, so just treat them as shortswords, or something.

I saw on another thread somewhere else that Tonfas have a Defensive trait to them. Would i apply that to the Monk's stats, or no?

I saw on another thread somewhere else that Tonfas have a Defensive trait to them. Would i apply that to the Monk's stats, or no?

I don't think so, unless they are the "implement" being used.

The Rules forum might be your best bet for this question.

I don't think so, unless they are the "implement" being used.

The Rules forum might be your best bet for this question.

Ok, thanks. I'll go look.

So in short, they're just for show and her stat's won't be changed? 

If the monk's implement is a ki focus, then any weapons the monk uses are just for show.

Quite frankly, I don't know why every class doesn't work this way. Imagine the simplicity and the freedom to flavor characters.

If the monk's implement is a ki focus, then any weapons the monk uses are just for show.

Quite frankly, I don't know why every class doesn't work this way. Imagine the simplicity and the freedom to flavor characters.

Ok, i think i get it now. So it'll be on paper as a Ki Focus and behave as such, but it'll be a pair of Elbow Blades.

ask in the rules Q&A.  It's your best bet.  First thing you should say is which edition you're playing.  Second a weapon doesn't become a ki focus.  Nor does any implement become one either.  Ki foci are a unique kind of weapliment.  Ask people who know what they're talking about lol..
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

A monk has two options...

- They can use a ki focus. This is a specific type of implement.

The ki focus can either be used (A) as an implement by itself to make implement attacks, or (B) can be used to ki focus a weapon to make Weapon keyword attacks. When you make a weapon attack using a ki-focused weapon, the weapon loses any enchantment it may have and instead uses the enchantment and enhancement bonus of the ki focus.

- They can use a weapon as an implement.

A monk can use any weapon they're proficient with as an implement. In this case, the monk ignores any physical properties of the weapon (proficiency bonus, damage dice, high crit or brutal, etc.), and only uses the weapon's enhancement bonus and enchantment.

All monk powers are Implement keyword powers. Even when using a weapon as an implement, at no time is the proficiency bonus of the weapon added to the to-hit roll and at no time does the damage dice of the weapon in any way impact how much damage the power does, since it is an implement power and doesn't have the weapon keyword.

Since the only time a monk is going to be making weapon attacks is when something provokes an opportunity attack from them or the party's leader grants them a basic attack, it's largely irrelevant what sort of weapon you choose to refluff as "elbow blades"...

The simplest solution is to just give her a pair of non-magical shortswords.
Call them elbow blades.
 Have her use her ki focus implement for all her attacks.
Say she's attacking with her blades.
Done.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

All monk powers are Implement keyword powers. Even when using a weapon as an implement, at no time is the proficiency bonus of the weapon added to the to-hit roll and at no time does the damage dice of the weapon in any way impact how much damage the power does, since it is an implement power and doesn't have the weapon keyword.

And just to note, since it wasn't explicitly stated:  If the weapon in question is enchanted, then any item powers/properties associated with that enchantment which can apply do apply.  If something says "Making a weapon attack with this item" or something to that effect, then it wouldn't apply; but "When making an attack with this weapon" may apply for implement attacks.  (For example, "Quick Weapon" would allow the monk to make an extra attack as a free action.)

Also, again to state it explicitly, if the monk has both a magic weapon and a magic ki focus, she must choose one or the other for the attack, not both (unless there's some feat which allows otherwise, and I don't know of any in this case; there's one for arcane powers, though).