[GTC-ICD] Vizkopa Guildmage

63 posts / 0 new
Last post

Vizkopa Guildmage

Creature - Human Wizard (U)

: Target creature gains lfelink until end of turn.

: Whenever you gain life this turn, each opponent loses that much life.

2/2

Source: MTGS
Oh no, Sphinx's Revelation may have just made a new best friend.
Bah, dumb with the 6/1 Lifelinker.  It's decent, though.  Might work in Orzhov Control, but it'll be a lot better in Limited than Standard.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Insta-win combo in Standard with Exquisite Blood... Might just be kitchen table fodder but could possibly work as the win-con for an Exort control deck.

EDIT: Ninja'd by 30 seconds... 
Great card.
So... This is it? Decks with this, Exquisite Blood and Sanguine Bond are a thing now?

Great card, really mean it. Just too bad with the Insta-win.  
I just like that it's "Each opponent" so it's an instant win in multiplayer too.
I'll take it.
makes me take another look at tree of redemption.  most of the decent lifegain effects require mana the turn you use them, which is annoying as his price isn't cheap.  which is a good thing, because you can stack that effect, can't you?  i exchange my 3 with the trees 13 after spending 6 mana to activate him twice...
makes me take another look at tree of redemption.  most of the decent lifegain effects require mana the turn you use them, which is annoying as his price isn't cheap.  which is a good thing, because you can stack that effect, can't you?  i exchange my 3 with the trees 13 after spending 6 mana to activate him twice...

Oh that's mean haha :D
Stick her in a junk midrange/control deck that features a load of incidental lifegain, makes for a nice win condition there in grindy games. Don't really see anywhere else it drops into though, exquisite blood is a bit too gimicky, and other colour combos don't seem to feature enough lifegain to be able to get consistant use out of it.
Stick her in a junk midrange/control deck that features a load of incidental lifegain, makes for a nice win condition there in grindy games. Don't really see anywhere else it drops into though, exquisite blood is a bit too gimicky, and other colour combos don't seem to feature enough lifegain to be able to get consistant use out of it.

2 cards, 3 mana, and any way to gain life or make your opponent lose life doesn't sound gimmicky to me. It's the best combo to hit standard since Deceiver Exarch + Splinter Twin.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Insta-win combo in Standard with Exquisite Blood... Might just be kitchen table fodder but could possibly work as the win-con for an Exort control deck.

Hehe this combo is evil and I will be using it with my friends or for FNM. I will probably get punched in the face but meh, worth it.

I REALLY like this guild mage. A lot. Works perfectly with the mechanic and can be another way to win if you can gain a ton of life.
i don't like it.
That's a pretty sweet guildmage.
Wow.  I was just thinking today how it would be great if Orzov got a life gain support card because I wanted to run esper life.  I love lifegain decks.  A few years back I worked on a life gain deck until it started crushing people at FNM.  Then some random guy went to the top with a deck he called "soul sisters".  The only difference between his deck and mine was he ran Knight of Meadowgrain, which after extensive playtesting, I found out that without it, I still won easier as it never really effected the board state, being dwarfed by my powerhouses.  Made me mad.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. How to Create
Show
replace {} with [] {sblock} at the beginning and {/sblock} at the end.
I borrowed this from blood77. All credit goes to him. Great idea for a signature and I'm tired of people not autocarding decks. How to Auto Card
Show
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
Show
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck Auto Deck
Show
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4 Halimar Depths 4 Unstable Frontier 8 Island 4 Swamp Creatures 12 4 Hedron Crab 4 Nemesis of Reason 4 Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4 Spreading Seas 4 Suffer the Past 4 Mind Funeral 4 Archive Trap 4 Ponder 4 Into the Roil 4 Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Result
lol wow
Another awesome thing about this card is that now your Angel's Feathers and Demon's Horns extort for free. I like good cards that make bad cards good when used with them.
Rules Advisor

2 cards, 3 mana, and any way to gain life or make your opponent lose life doesn't sound gimmicky to me. It's the best combo to hit standard since Deceiver Exarch + Splinter Twin.

I think you're seeing this through beer goggles.

Firstly, it's not a 2-card, 3-mana combo. Not 2 cards because you don't only need this and Exquisite Blood to go off. You also need a source of damage. It could be as easy as attacking, playing a burn spell, or triggering extort, but you still have to have that element. It's not 3 mana because 1) your most expensive piece of the combo costs 5, and 2) you probably want to go off the turn you play your second piece, making this at minimum a 5-mana or 8-mana combo.

You can't really compare this to Splinter Twin combo, where one of the pieces actually helped you go off by tapping down opposing lands, and you could do it all in one turn thanks to Exarch's flash.
Oh no, Sphinx's Revelation may have just made a new best friend.

Yeah, because revelation decks totally want a bear with an ability, especially one that lets them draw 3 fewer cards and gain 3 fewer life to do a bit of damage to their opponent.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

Firstly, it's not a 2-card, 3-mana combo. Not 2 cards because you don't only need this and Exquisite Blood to go off. You also need a source of damage. It could be as easy as attacking, playing a burn spell, or triggering extort, but you still have to have that element. It's not 3 mana because 1) your most expensive piece of the combo costs 5, and 2) you probably want to go off the turn you play your second piece, making this at minimum a 5-mana or 8-mana combo.

You can't really compare this to Splinter Twin combo, where one of the pieces actually helped you go off by tapping down opposing lands, and you could do it all in one turn thanks to Exarch's flash.

lol then you remember the orzhov mechanic is extort.
have any extort creature down, play exquisite blood, pay 6 mana to cast guildmage with the active and extort cost and watch it cascade.

He mentioned Extort. That's still a three card combo. The guildmage, the enchantment, then a card with Extort. In which case, it's also not a three-mana combo - it's the ability's mana cost, Extort's mana cost, and the spell's mana cost. 

He mentioned Extort. That's still a three card combo. The guildmage, the enchantment, then a card with Extort. In which case, it's also not a three-mana combo - it's the ability's mana cost, Extort's mana cost, and the spell's mana cost. 

I'm just saying it's really easy to activate it, since orzhov's mechanic is lifegain.
Never thought I'd say this, but combos with Heroes' Reunion.  Heh.
Never thought I'd say this, but combos with Heroe's Reunion.  Heh.

Hero's reunion + this guildmage.
Mind Sculpt + duskmantle guildmage.

huh. what's the the number 7, eh? 
Whee, more consistency for Exquisite Blood Sanguine Bond combo in EDH for me!

I don't drink much. I realize that this combo is worse than splinter twin-deceiver exarch for multiple reasons. #1 it requires more mana. #2 exquisite blood isn't very useful on its own while splinter twin was useful with other creatures used in the deck (such as titans in the birthing pod version). #3 Its easier to disrupt (playing a 5 mana enchantment vs flashing in a creature eot).

It's a source of damage or a source of lifegain. Use the guildmage effect, gain some life. Gaining life will cause your opponent to lose life, exquisite blood will then make you gain life, opponent dies. It's a black/white deck. It's a requirement to the combo, but it isn't a hard requirement. I would compare it to writing your name on a paper before turning it in or a 1st and goal on the 1 yard line with a good running back. It's not a certainty, but it's far from a Herculean task. 

The combo at its best would probably go off turn 6 at the soonest which isn't great for a combo deck. I never said it was as good as splintertwin-exarch combo. I just stated that it was the best standard  infinite combo since that deck. Definitely not as good, but still decently possible as a fringe combo.

I like it. The art is cool and self-synergy is something I've always loved on cards.
The reason this combo will see play is because its resilient and inexorable, not because its fast.
The reason this combo will see play is because its resilient and inexorable, not because its fast.

it's also very relevant in Orzhov in general to have exquisite blood. 1 mana for +2 life -1 opponent's life, 2 mana for +4 life -2 opponent life, 3 mana for +6 life, -3 opponent life... not bad.
This card is very reliant on comboing with something.

And to be fair it combos with a lot.  Got a 5 power creature sitting around, and 6 untapped mana?  Cool, you can get yourself a 10 point life swing (5 lifelink healing; 5 life loss).

But if this is the only card on your board?  It's pretty trashy. 

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Isn't it a two card combo with exquisite blood? Just activate the first ability and gain lifelink, then swing after you activate the second ability. If they dont have removal, it is game. Anyway, I am thinking it is more of an "oops, i win" combo rather than the main focus of the deck. At least, that is what I will be using it with in standard. In modern, this and the orzhov charm makes me really want to make a soul sisters deck.

The same is true with Sanguine Bond + Exquisite Blood, and one reason why in EDH I do not run both together. I prefer to win by my skill, not stupid 2 card win combos.

This card is very reliant on comboing with something.

And to be fair it combos with a lot.  Got a 5 power creature sitting around, and 6 untapped mana?  Cool, you can get yourself a 10 point life swing (5 lifelink healing; 5 life loss).

But if this is the only card on your board?  It's pretty trashy. 

It's not at all like it combos with the Guild's keyword. No, not at all.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
If Rhox Faithmender is on the board too it gets really effective.
Seems like a nice guildmage. A super swingy ability for limited, and a playable ability for constructed.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Never forget you can activate the second ability multiple times. Like, if your guy already has lifelink, set up multiple triggers and you will put some serious hurting on your opponent.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
and just to but it out there (I know no plan survives contact with the enemy) 

T1: Duress
T2: Vizkopa Guildmage
T3 Chalice of life
T4: Crypt Ghast
T5: Exquisite Blood

pay the additional 3, tap Chalice Win. Tongue Out 
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
Sign In to post comments