Holy symbol + "can be used as a holy symbol"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can a weapon that "can be used as a holy symbol" (like the Scepter of Bane) be used in conjunction with an actual holy symbol?

RC 274: If a creature wears or holds more than one holy symbol, none of these symbols function until only one remains (this rule is usually relevant only to magic holy symbols).

I think yes, they can be used together, because the weapon is not actually a holy symbol, it can only be used as one. If it had said "counts as" that would've been different...but that's not what it says.
Can a weapon that "can be used as a holy symbol" (like the Scepter of Bane) be used in conjunction with an actual holy symbol?

RC 274: If a creature wears or holds more than one holy symbol, none of these symbols function until only one remains (this rule is usually relevant only to magic holy symbols).

I think yes, they can be used together, because the weapon is not actually a holy symbol, it can only be used as one. If it had said "counts as" that would've been different...but that's not what it says.

I would say yes.  Same goes for the Holy Avenger sword for Paladins which uses the same "can be used as a holy symbol" wording.

I guess if you took a very strict literal wording of the rules for Holy Symbols, you would have to put away the other Holy Symbol before you could use the weapon as a holy symbol, otherwise when you use it as a holy symbol, you then have two and both stop functioning for the duration of the power, but as a DM I wouldn't play it that way, and instead I would just let the weapon property supercede the normally worn holy symbol.
I would say yes you can since as you pointed out, it doesn't say "counts" but instead "can be used".  the fact that it can be used as something else does not make it stop being a scepter.  It does not suddenly become a holy symbol proper.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I'd say yes too, but i have seen people claiming that ''can be used as'' and ''count as'' were same in reference to powers or weapon for exemple so YMMV, expect table variation.

I guess if you took a very strict literal wording of the rules for Holy Symbols, you would have to put away the other Holy Symbol before you could use the weapon as a holy symbol, otherwise when you use it as a holy symbol, you then have two and both stop functioning for the duration of the power

Exactly. From the forum FAQ, if desired:
"If a power counts as a Basic Attack, is it affected by everything that effects a Basic Attack? The concensus is that if the power is worded as 'in place of', is not an actual Basic Attack. However, if it is worded as 'Counts as' or 'can be used as' it is a Basic Attack and is affected by anything that affects Basic Attacks."

Personally: as a DM I would try to rule in favor of the player. But as a player, I would not contest the ruling if the DM ruled against me. Either though, your normal holy symbol will work just fine while using the weapon normally
The concensus is

3 users only. What is called a concensus in the linked discussion is 2 persons agreeing with a third one. To put things in perspetive, an equal number of people here disagree with this premise so i don't know if you can really call that a concensus. Wink

EDIT  I think there's a difference between letting X benefit from things affecting Y because it can be used as Y and letting X be subject to Y limitation because it can be used as Y. 

I think "counts as" and "can be used as" do mean different things (this should be obvious...), but in the context of MBAs there is no *practical* difference, because there aren't any features that are affected by the distinction.

For example, if you have a feature that says "when you make an MBA, X happens," and you use Eldritch Strike, that feature will trigger because when you used ES at that time, you were using it as an MBA.

On the other hand, if there were some system-wide restriction that you can have at most 1 MBA on your character at a time, then there'd be a difference.

The wordings are not synonymous, but their differences don't matter when it comes to MBAs.

@mvincent: if the DM rules that it doesn't work, then that means no, you can't use a Holy Avenger with a Symbol of the Champion's Code, because they cannot be equipped at the same time or they both cease functioning.
The concensus is

3 users only. What is called a concensus in the linked discussion is 2 persons agreeing with a third one. 

The statement encompasses several other discussions on the matter. I have no poodle in that fight though. Links to other threads are always welcome. Or you could even discuss it in the thread provided.

if the DM rules that it doesn't work, then that means no, you can't use a Holy Avenger with a Symbol of the Champion's Code, because they cannot be equipped at the same time or they both cease functioning.

"can be used as" indicates that it's optional. Interpreting "can" as "always must" would create issues elsewhere in the rules.
Sign In to post comments