Would you want an Oriental Adventures rule book for D&D Next?

116 posts / 0 new
Last post
With the release of D&D Next would you want to see a rule book released as a companion to the core set or would a series of online articles work better?

Or perhaps you have no interest in a Oriental setting? 
Yes
I want to see a oriental adventures book.
Nope.  No cause.  If the core is designed properly, it should be setting-neutral.  Just reflavor existing material. 
A full sourcebook with races, classes, spells, feats, weapons, way more content than you could distribute through online articles.
Nope.  No cause.  If the core is designed properly, it should be setting-neutral.  Just reflavor existing material. 

This is the correct answer.

Nobody needs a hardcoded "honor" system to play a samurai.

Not really, over glorification of samurai, ninja, katanas or anything of that era have ruined the entire genre for me.

I'd welcome something like a Historical Reference module for medieval China/Japan... back in 2nd Edition, they had an appreciation for history rather then just what is cool in the mainstream.

I'll pass really... If I want to run an Oriental Campaign, I can make a better version with just the core rules.

One of the players in my group is currently playing a cleric that is essentially a Ronin with spiritual powers. We don't need an oriental book thanks to it being relatively setting-neutral Smile

This is the correct answer.

Nobody needs a hardcoded "honor" system to play a samurai.

I agree with this 100%

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

It'll never happen.  The PC Police would scream bloody murder.  You can't even use the word Oriental anymore without it becoming a hate crime.

However, count me as a vote for Oriental Adventures.  More stuff is good.  

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

With the release of D&D Next would you want to see a rule book released as a companion to the core set or would a series of online articles work better?

If they do a oriental book i prefer if it was a campaign setting, or marked as a part of a specific campaign setting.
So that if you tell players they can make a character using the core rules they would not show up with things like a wu-jen and a ninja.
As they would not be core but setting specific and can only be introduced to another campaign at the Dm's discretion. 
It would be of limited use to me, but I know many people would like it, so it should be printed.
If they do a oriental book i prefer if it was a campaign setting, or marked as a part of a specific campaign setting.

Sure, they could just call it "Kara-Tur" and make it part of a Forgotten Realms.  Even give it a subheading of "For Adventurers From the Far East" since Kara-Tur is on the Far East of Toril.

I think they could still publish a book called "Oriental Adventures" without being accused of insensitivity, though.

So that if you tell players they can make a character using the core rules they would not show up with things like a wu-jen and a ninja.
As they would not be core but setting specific and can only be introduced to another campaign at the Dm's discretion. 

Irrelevant.  The DM should always tell the players what sources, and what elements within those sources, are allowed in a game.
I would think twice about investing in DDN if it didn't have something as simple as an Oriental Adventures supplement.  I can see not having it on release day, but it should at least be in the planning stage by then.

I disagree; it seems very much western, especially if they throw other certain specific classes on top of what we have. What it needs is more eastern choices, for fighters and rogues et cetera. It would feel more inclusive of eastern philosophy and warfare, with weapons and armor and the like. That is my concern. The whole neutral setting, for the most part, yeah I hope it is, other than the western eastern bias I have a feeling it might be. More Historical accuracy, If I can find a link to someone who posted on this, I’ll send it. Obviously the extent of the book would be heavy fluff, the world, the interaction and backstory of the races, (which would likely change because of western bias). I’m glad you brought this up, it’s the one of the only things I have ever felt was often present in older editions especially third, is western bias. But why wouldn’t there be western bias? It is mostly subtle and likely due to where the games are made and who they are targeted at, and the cultural history. I would hope in core they can do things to help players connect hard mechanics to fluff when thinking through an eastern lens.

AD&D 1st Edition Character (Simplified)

BIOGRAPHY
Name: Brother Michael
Adventuring Class: Cleric
Adventuring Experience: 1446 out of 1501
Bonus Experience: 10%
Languages Known: Common, Orc, Elven.
Alignment: Lawful/Neutral Good
ABILITY SCORES
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 10
Intelligence: 11
Charisma: 11
Constitution: 14
Wisdom: 16
WEAPONS: HIT; MEDIUM; LARGE
Footman’s Flail: 1d20; 1d6+1; 1d4
Hammer (Thrown): 1d20; 1d4+1; 1d4
Sling: 1d20-3; 1d4+1; 1d6+1
MAGIC
Today’s Prepared Spells: Cure Light Wounds x2, Command x1
Spells Spent: Cure Light Wounds x1
Other Cleric Abilities: Turn Undead
Spell Failure: 0%
Magical Attack Adjustment: +2
DEFENSES
Armor: 5 (-4 Armor, -1 Shield)
Maximum Health: 10
Current Health: 9
CONSUMABLE ITEMS
Water Skin
7 Days of Trail Rations
7 Pints (Flasks) of Oil
1 Ounce (Vial) of Holy Water
4 Parchments
12 Sling Bullets
6 Pieces of Silver
8 Pieces of Twine

Irrelevant.  The DM should always tell the players what sources, and what elements within those sources, are allowed in a game.

indeed but look at the 4th edtion character builder for exaple (use it a lot when we play 4th) it has everything turned on even campaign setting books.
Many people who just use the character builder and don't buy books have no idea where a class race or power came from.

In my opinion a 5th edition character builder should have campaign specific recourses turned off with the option for the dm to say it is ok to turn a certain option on.

While I probably wouldn't use it (I run L5R for my samurai themed games), I can see demand for the product. I would like to see it done in the green-book style of 2E with mostly fluff and a bit of mechanics (mostly re-skinning weapons, spells, skills, etc, but new maneuvers and such would be cool). DMs already familiar with Eastern style gaming should (hopefully) be able to play it right out of the gate with limited modification (again, mostly re-skinning).
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />indeed but look at the 4th edtion character builder for exaple (use it a lot when we play 4th) it has everything turned on even campaign setting books.

Which is why I also said 'and the elements within those sources'.  In other words, every DM needs to make a ban list.  It's entirely possible that most of a book might be allowed, except for one or two things, which 'source banning' in a character builder does not account for.

Of course, with reflavoring and renaming, you can run such a game out of the gate anyway.
I could see having a setting book with campaign info as well as needed class changes for flavour

Sounds like a positive addition to me.
My two copper.
Sure, why not? 

And if it's in book form I'm more likely to take note of it than if it's just an OL article or such.
I'm all for an Asian-influenced book, especially if it's better researched (and written) in terms of culture, history, and folklore.  Setting neutral of course, save the specific campaign stuff for Kara-Tur.  As for expanding classes, maybe not so much introduce new classes, but expand on classes with specialties and whatnot.

The Knights of W.T.F. may as well be ghosts, but the message still stays;

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
  • PRAISE THE SUN!

And hey, let's not forget there's more to the orient than China and Japan. There were plenty of rich cultures which could lend great ideas to a D&D campaign: the Persians, the Arabs, the Rus, the Mongols, etc.

My doubt is... the oriental classes (samurai, ninja, sohei..) will be in a player handbook 2 (or 3) or in Kara-Tur player handbook.

I imagine oriental classes with ki powers, but the ki power source should be in a core book (player handbook, 1, 2 or 3). 

* kensai = monk + katana?

* What do you know about Lin Kuei / Lin Qui (forest demon), the "Chinese ninjas"? (Forget the Mortal Kombat faction)

http://www.learn-chinese-martial-arts.com/ninjas-martial-arts.html

* Should shugenge and wu jen be only a alternative list of class features, or a different gameplay style?

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

And hey, let's not forget there's more to the orient than China and Japan. There were plenty of rich cultures which could lend great ideas to a D&D campaign: the Persians, the Arabs, the Rus, the Mongols, etc.

I figure an Al Qadim type motif would benefit more middle eastern and mediterranean inspired cultures and settings.  Not to mention, there's much more of east Asia that can be explored besides China and Japan.  Southeastern Asia(Sample the K'mer empire for instance!), Tibet, Korea, Mongolia, to name a few.  And heck with it, I'd like to see other cultures be used as inspiration with books similar to Nyambe, Al Qadim, the Hollow World cultures (Azcan, Millenian, Nithian), the list goes on.  Generic/non-setting D&D could use a bit more than faux-Medieval Europe, ya know?  (Similar to original mystara)

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
No, I'd prefer an Egyptian Adventures book.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

the Persians, the Arabs

Al Qadim

the Rus, the Mongols, etc. 

Damara and Vaasa, I believe.
No, I'd prefer an Egyptian Adventures book.

HWR2 - Kingdom of Nithia and FR10 - Lost Empires (Mulhorand) have a lot of Egyptian style lands, if that helps at all.  But yeah, an Egyptian style campaign would be awesome!

the Persians, the Arabs

Al Qadim

the Rus, the Mongols, etc. 

Damara and Vaasa, I believe.

That sounds about right, but no reason these cultures can't influence D&D Next somehow, right?  (Especially a return to Zahkhara)

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
Nope, wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they made one though.
Cultures inspired by Mongols in D&D include the Horde in the Forgotten Realms (2nd Edition era) and the Ethangar Khanate in Mystara (BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia era).

All around helpful simian

Oh man, you know **** is real when Monkey posts
My two copper.
Oh man, you know **** is real when Monkey posts

Heh.

Just trying to provide a little info.  I shall not claim to be an expert when it comes to D&D's history and product lines, but it is something I've been researching for a good long while now.  ;) 

All around helpful simian

The Vietnamese...real life Dragonborn -  "Children of Dragons... Grandchldren of Gods"
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Want? Not really. But I think it would be worthwhile if campaign setting/modules were produced to highlight different cultural folklore/traditions that one could base campaigns on... using some historical products:

Kara Tur (East Asia)
Al Qadim (Middle East/North Africa)
Maztica (Central/South America)

I'd also love to see a little love for sub-Saharan African traditions. Forgotten Realms had Chult but it really kind of felt like it was tacked on: "Hey guys... where are we going to put the dinosaurs that are in the Monster Manual?"
As long as it comes after spelljammah, I won't mind in the least. 

Besides, I have my Oriental-Kenku homebrew well established.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

It will not affect me in the slightest if one is released.
It will likewise not affect me in the slightest if one is not released. 
Those that want one should not be denied having it based solely on the cries of those that don't want it and/or wouldn't use it if it was released. 
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
It will not affect me in the slightest if one is released.
It will likewise not affect me in the slightest if one is not released. 
Those that want one should not be denied having it based solely on the cries of those that don't want it and/or wouldn't use it if it was released. 

If everyone thought like this there might be world peace
My two copper.

There, someone said (Doctor Necrotic) Campaign Neutral Eastern Setting, put that into core. The fact that they haven’t introduced grossly western concepts yet like Paladins, Bards (in so far that they exist as a single class and not an extension of most classes), Druids, and you would still have to tweak clerics and wizards to allow for it. Barbarians and somewhat Rangers could be allowed I suppose. I think the way they did 4th essential might be the way they go this time. Splitting up which source book gets which classes. I just do not like default western. I’d love to see dual core books, with monks and re-skinned fighters (bushido, meaning warrior as well as samurai types) with open ended instead. I don’t know, it seems like it would be impossible without grounding in western medieval fantasy as the core. I should mention I’d like to see Paladins, Druids, Bards, Rangers, and Barbarians as expansions of preexisting classes unless enough new mechanics are involved. You could add substitute classing, where rangers are either reskinned rogues or reskinned fighters, which might be enough to create a hybrid class. I don’t know I feel like I’m delving into an entirely different topic not for this thread; please excuse what I said then. The monk existing in any Western-based books bugs me like no end, the monk is likely the offspring of Magic and the sect of Chinese Mahayana Buddhists who practiced martial arts to an insane degree. I find it weird that it exists alone and separate in an otherwise western setting; include other eastern facets if you are going to do that. GAH! Reading further of Doctor Necrotic’s post agrees I think he is right on the money for the sort of mentality I have, Props to him. NICE Forged Fury, post #34 good info, I don’t know many other culture campaign settings outside of the Oriental Adventures of 3.5. Father Dragon, I think a lot of people feel that way especially about campaign settings like this.

AD&D 1st Edition Character (Simplified)

BIOGRAPHY
Name: Brother Michael
Adventuring Class: Cleric
Adventuring Experience: 1446 out of 1501
Bonus Experience: 10%
Languages Known: Common, Orc, Elven.
Alignment: Lawful/Neutral Good
ABILITY SCORES
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 10
Intelligence: 11
Charisma: 11
Constitution: 14
Wisdom: 16
WEAPONS: HIT; MEDIUM; LARGE
Footman’s Flail: 1d20; 1d6+1; 1d4
Hammer (Thrown): 1d20; 1d4+1; 1d4
Sling: 1d20-3; 1d4+1; 1d6+1
MAGIC
Today’s Prepared Spells: Cure Light Wounds x2, Command x1
Spells Spent: Cure Light Wounds x1
Other Cleric Abilities: Turn Undead
Spell Failure: 0%
Magical Attack Adjustment: +2
DEFENSES
Armor: 5 (-4 Armor, -1 Shield)
Maximum Health: 10
Current Health: 9
CONSUMABLE ITEMS
Water Skin
7 Days of Trail Rations
7 Pints (Flasks) of Oil
1 Ounce (Vial) of Holy Water
4 Parchments
12 Sling Bullets
6 Pieces of Silver
8 Pieces of Twine

I mean, I didn't particularly want Eberron released for 4E, but they released it anyway. Tons of people bought it, played it, and loved it. I did not, and my games were 100% unaffected by its presence in the world. I guess everyone assumes that if a splat/module/setting is released, then they must immediately incorporate it into their games even if they hate it with every fiber of their being. These people are what I like to refer to as "wrong".
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
My doubt is... the oriental classes (samurai, ninja, sohei..) will be in a player handbook 2 (or 3) or in Kara-Tur player handbook.

I imagine oriental classes with ki powers, but the ki power source should be in a core book (player handbook, 1, 2 or 3). 

* What do you know about Lin Kuei / Lin Qui (forest demon), the "Chinese ninjas"? (Forget the Mortal Kombat faction)

* Should shugenge and wu jen be only a alternative list of class features, or a different gameplay style?

A samurai can anybody who knows how to use a longsword or bastard sword.
Sohei and Shugenja are clerics.
Wu Jen are wizards.
Everything else is roleplay.

A samurai can anybody who knows how to use a longsword or bastard sword.
Sohei and Shugenja are clerics.
Wu Jen are wizards.
Everything else is roleplay.

I figure all you need is some new fluff (and easy ways to refluff)... and maybe a few "alternate class options" to swap some things here and there.  But yeah, I see no need to build up a class ground up when taking an existing one and tinkering with it is a valid option too (that'll save tons of time... and funding)  Heck, you don't need much more than an article or two on Dragon magazine.  For the sake of simplicity, 5E seems to be going this route anyway.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
  • PRAISE THE SUN!