Asmodeus-themed character help

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greetings and salutations.

I am new to 4e, and I've been invited to join a new game.   Figuring why the hells not, I decided to jump in, make a character, and run with it.   I decided to do this general idea - I want to make a PC that's basically an Infernal Princess (yes, a friend pointed out the theme to me).   Imagine if Asmodeus himself was killed and reincarnated into a level 1 character.

However, when I sat down to make a character, I didn't quite get what I wanted to fit on the paper.      Clever, manipulative, charismatic, devilish, slightly mischievious, with bits of imperialness blended in, yet a curiosity about the world, and an almost innocence about what's in it - sheltered upbringings will do that to you.  The character in question was raised to believe that she was a direct desendant of Asmodeus himself - not a surprise, considering that she was raised by a cult of Asmodeus.    Lavished attention on her whole life, but ran away when she realized that she was just basically being groomed to be a puppet.   Gilded cage, and all.   Neutral alignment - she was raised to be vicious, but never really put it into practice.

My initial reaction was to build a tiefling warlock - you've got hellfire, a few devil appearances, and some charms/fear effects.   Decent spread of skills, used a rod for her magic, too, just like dear "Grandpa Asmodeus" to help with that whole imperial theme.  Affinity for social things, something that the group seemed to be lacking.   Seemed easily enough.  In the end, though, I just couldn't reconsile the character.   Something felt a bit off - too much fire/ice magic thrown around with the whole striker thing in the party.    It didn't really -feel- like a devil lord anymore.    Too much Striker-role stuff, perhaps?   Or the whole odd Con thing at odds with wanting to focus on her intelegence and charisma?   I'm not really sure.    

So, given everything, I thought I'd ask for some help.   What would you choose in order to build a budding devil queen?    Any suggestions of any kind would be greatly appreciate it.
I'm imagining a bard, from your description. Charismatic, skilled, magical power, charm effects, highly social...

I don't have much experience with building bards, but I imagine you could find the powers to suit your theme. Powers like Misdirected Mark seems very flavourful for a devilish manipulator, and that fact that you're sliding allies with Majestic Word makes it feel like you're more of a controller than a leader - you just control your allies rather than your enemies.
You could go with the infernal pact warlock (hexblade) from the Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms book. You'd have CHA as your primary stat, CON as your secondary, and if you go for a more balanced array, you can have a decent INT, covering your three non armour-class defences nicely. You could even have CON as your tertiary stat if you really wanted to. Plus, as a hexblade you get to wear chain, which would bring up your AC to a decent number.

The character below is trained in two social skills (Bluff and Intimidate) and two knowledge skills (Arcana and Religion). I'd say a warlock ought to know about magic, and someone who was raised in an environment you described ought to know a bit about the gods.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 1
Tiefling, Warlock (Hexblade)
Pact: Infernal Pact

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 16, DEX 11, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 17

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 14, DEX 11, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 15

AC: 17 Fort: 14 Ref: 14 Will: 14
HP: 28 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +8, Bluff +10, Intimidate +8, Religion +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics –1, Athletics –2, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +0, Endurance +2, Heal +0, History +3, Insight +0, Nature +0, Perception +0, Stealth +1, Streetwise +3, Thievery –1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Tiefling Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Warlock Utility: Soul Feast
Warlock Attack: Soul Eater
Warlock Attack: Blazing Doom of the Void
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Bolt
Warlock Attack 1: Hellfire Blast

FEATS
Level 1: Rod Expertise

ITEMS
Blade of Annihilation x1
Chainmail x1
Adventurer's Kit
Rod Implement x1
====== End ======
Tiefling Hell'Lock+Infernal Prince Theme+ Appropriate 'devilish' PP + Prince of Hell ED = profit.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I'd have to go with what JaeMi is saying, except I would wonder if the 11 DEX (mod +0), if not going to be improved to 12 (mod +1), could have that last point go instead to CHA (16 beginning - 18 final instead of 15-17), since 10 DEX has the same (lack of a) modifier as 11 but the CHA modifier would go from 2-3 to 3-4. Too munchkiny for my first night here?
I'd have to go with what JaeMi is saying, except I would wonder if the 11 DEX (mod +0), if not going to be improved to 12 (mod +1), could have that last point go instead to CHA (16 beginning - 18 final instead of 15-17), since 10 DEX has the same (lack of a) modifier as 11 but the CHA modifier would go from 2-3 to 3-4. Too munchkiny for my first night here?

That wouldn't work because it costs two points to improve a starting ability score from 15 to 16, and you would only be refunded a single point by lowering a score from 11 to 10. [Rules Compendium p78]
Oh, right. I guess it's been longer since I looked at the point-buy tables than I thought. Oops