[suggestion] paying boosters as entry fees in all events

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
With the recent decline of the secondary value of the RtR boosters I believe that something has to be done to stop the drop in value.

I am predicting that the Gatecrash boosters will devaulate at a faster rate. The price after release weeks is about 3,5 tickets and if that gets continually droping it should not be long before it drops below 3 or even at 2 tickets.

This is problematic. If the secondary market price is low that any winning in the form of boosters devaluate your efforts. We have come to accept that any booster won has a lower that 4 ticket value but if the value drops to 2 tickets then we will Think twice if it's still benificial to play those tournaments.

On the other hand tournaments that consume boosters will have a field day since you can snatch those boosters up cheaper making playing even cheaper.

So I am suggesting that each and every tournament fee alows to be paid in an inprint booster instead of 4 tickets (as is done in limited non-phantom events).

I am suggestion that all inprint boosters be possible to pay since I find it very annoying that the prize structeres of smaller sets intentionaly devaulate the value of the smaller set (paying more of these and not in the "correct" ration with prevoius sets). The "correct" ratio would be one small set booster againts 2 big set boosters (for drafts) or 3 againts 3 (for sealed) on average.

If boosters are made available to pay instead of tickets then the price of boosters will come much closer to 4 tickets. People in contructed ques will be more happy since they will get more valuble prizes and limited players (nonphantom) will not be effected negitivly so much since they can use their prizes with same efficency (buying more boosters will cost them more unfortunately). Phantom players will be able to pay it with their winning so they will be pleased with the change.
I've always thought it would be great if Wizards would just offer generic boosters and allow the player to decide what set it's from when the open it or use it in an event. This would solve many problems including draft payout ratios, formats being unpopular due to the type of boosters given as prizes, and the relative uselessness of out-of-print boosters.

If I were Wizards or a collector I'd probably want to limit what a person could do when they simply rip a booster without using it in an event. In that case, the ripper could only choose sets that were on sale in the store when the booster was created. So, there'd still be different types of boosters, but they'd be different multi-set types rather than individual set types. This is great from Wizards perspective because it wouldn't affect their sales of new boosters when they release a new set. 

I think this is a solution that has no downside, only up, for players and benefits Wizards, through increased attendance in formats that would have been popular except for the payout. I originally proposed it almost a decade ago, so I know I'm just going through the motions... but, yet, I hope.
I can't spare a moment for the dog faced boy I won't lend another hand to the worm girl of Hanoi Don't deplete my oxygen for the guy who's turning blue But ask me, and I'll do anything for you
Tickets are preferred because they force more money into the system.

The devaluation of boosters is getting a bit extreme, though.
Agree, pack prices are at an all time low, and each set keeps hitting a new "low".
I used to occasionally buy packs from a bot when I felt like playing 4-pack sealed. Maybe if pack prices drop enough, I'll be able to pay the same amount for 6 and play a limited format that I'll enjoy a little less.
I used to occasionally buy packs from a bot when I felt like playing 4-pack sealed. Maybe if pack prices drop enough, I'll be able to pay the same amount for 6 and play a limited format that I'll enjoy a little less.

If you compare buying the packs from the store to play 4pss to buying the packs from a bot for 6pss they are almost the same price already.
I was pleasantly surprised last weekend.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

If you compare buying the packs from the store to play 4pss to buying the packs from a bot for 6pss they are almost the same price already.

Yes, but its been a long time since I bought packs from the store! When does it ever make sense to buy packs from the store? Unless there aren't any bots you don't trust with credit, and even then you'd probably come out ahead even if you lost that credit.

Well at the very least, I think the should make the new 6 pack sealed queues take product only like the 4 pack did.  This would make them a little more appealing since they aren't really firing at all now.
I came to this forum looking for that thread where you can make suggestions, but I can't find it so here will do.

Please experiment with changing the entry fee for phantom swiss from 4 tix to 1 booster. Having to pay a set amount of tix for prizes of fluctuating value is not fun. It kills confidence and forces us to play a minigame of "is this event not terrible today?" Tracking the mtgo stock market is not what I want to be doing with my time. I want to play your game and not feel bad about getting ripped off. Although the value of packs would still fluctuate, the idea of paying 1 pack for a chance at breaking even or tripling your entry is much more acceptable than paying a flat 4 tix to either loss value or get 3 packs. As I'm sure was stated earlier in this thread, it would also alleviate the problem of low pack prices by shifting from generating 4 packs per queue to consuming 4 packs per queue, thus boosting confidence in other queues such as 2-mans.