[GTC-ICD] Gruul Ragebeast

61 posts / 0 new
Last post

Gruul Ragebeast (Rare) -
Creature - Beast
Whenever Gruul Ragebeast or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, that creature fights target creature an opponent controls.
"If the other guilds want a war, they should know we've been ready the whole time." - Ruric Thar, Ghor-Clan chieftan
6/6

Source: GTC card image gallery
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
7CMC is a bit much, but the effect seems really good. Ramp target I guess?
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Bleh.

Also for this much mana it should have at least been a 'may' clause. 
Limited bomb-and-a-half. Bad pretty much anywhere else.
Better hope your opponent doesn't have any Typhoid Rats sitting around.
I think I would rather go with Borb 2.0 than this as the obligatory 7cmc Unburial Rites target.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
I know it already rotated out, but I can't help but mentally compare this to Inferno Titan.  Which one would you play if they were both monocolour with the same CMC?  Ok, now what if instead of being the same CMC, it's multicolour and 7 CMC?  Yeah....

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Terrible.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

this works for other creatures too. 

I can imagine attacking with this, then when they summon a creature, make it fight with this (b/c you don't need to be tapped to fight), kill it, then attack with this the next turn.
How to name Gruul cards:

Take off your hat. Write the following words on a piece of paper:

Beast
Tail
Blood
Rage
Goliath
Giant
Beast
Clan
Gruul
Rampage
Scale
Smash
Pit
Wild
Beast
Gruul
Tree

Then put a tablespoon of cinnamon in your mouth and write down the noises you make. Spell phonetically. You should get something like this:

Krug
Hrrak
Gruul
Agnr
Cruht
Fruuck

Put those cards with the original then throw them all in the hat.

Draw three.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Goliath Rage-Clan

Smash-Pit Agnr

Tail-Beast Tree

man you're right.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

If there isn't a pump spell this block called Wild Tree Rampage, I will be severely disappointed.
If there isn't a pump spell this block called Wild Tree Rampage, I will be severely disappointed.

Best.

Aaaaaand pablo wins the thread.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

I love how "beast" is listed twice.  It's fitting.  I could actually see beast-rage beast being printed.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
How to name Gruul cards:

-snip-

Then put a tablespoon of cinnamon in your mouth and write down the noises you make. Spell phonetically. You should get something like this:
-snip-

Draw three.

It makes sense flavor wise. Hopefully you aren't saying thier simple names are a bad thing. Tongue Out
Seems like a decent topend for ramp or a rites target. I forget who called ETB Fight (I think it was a popular prediction for the card that we would later know as Huntmaster of the Fells)
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Goliath Rage-Clan

Smash-Pit Agnr

Tail-Beast Tree

man you're right.

Smash-Pit Agnr sounds like an awesome card. Better than this loser.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

I love how "beast" is listed twice.  It's fitting.  I could actually see beast-rage beast being printed.

And "Gruul".
I want to see Gruul Gruul-Pit, personally. ;)
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
is it me or do they really seem to be pushing the fight mechanic as of lately?
If by "pushing" you mean "printing", yes.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

is it me or do they really seem to be pushing the fight mechanic as of lately?

It was very recently keyworded, and seems to be a very popular and flavorful way to give green removal, so it makes sense to see a lot of it.  Its evergreen, so there's no reason it can't appear as much as vigilance or flying, or at least first strike.
"Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties." - catowner
the problem I have with fight is that it is a very effective, isn't green supposed to have problems with killing creatures without smashing their face in... well I guess they kind of are with the fight mechanic, but thats besides the point, greens supposed to be weak at targeted removal; but at the same time it is creature dependant, so its kind of a weird color pie conundrum...
I think this card is quite nifty, but it does set up a lot of feel-bad moments when they play a single big creature, and you're completely locked out of all your creature plays from then on.
the problem I have with fight is that it is a very effective, isn't green supposed to have problems with killing creatures without smashing their face in... well I guess they kind of are with the fight mechanic, but thats besides the point, greens supposed to be weak at targeted removal; but at the same time it is creature dependant, so its kind of a weird color pie conundrum...

Green is not supposed to be weak at targeted removal. It just is supposed needs a creature based way to take care of creatures. Fight is that way.

Green is not supposed to be weak at targeted removal. It just is supposed needs a creature based way to take care of creatures. Fight is that way.

No, green is supposed to be weak in terms of targeted creature removal, fight is just a means to correct that weakness; it fits green, I just don't think that its really fair to other colors that cannot account for their weaknesses, like how red cannot kill enchantments or black cannot kill artifacts and enchantments or how blue has trouble with permanents that hit the board.
This artwork... makes him look like the kind of beast that is happy to even comprehend the "forwards!"-command.
That's some derpy face.
How to name Gruul cards:

Beast
Tail
Blood
Rage
Goliath
Giant
Beast
Clan
Gruul
Rampage
Scale
Smash
Pit
Wild
Beast
Gruul
Tree

Krug
Hrrak
Gruul
Agnr
Cruht
Fruuck

Draw three.

Giant Fruuck Beast
Krug Scale Goliath
Agnr Beast Tree
Wild Cruht Smash

I'm into this.
How to name Gruul cards:

Beast
Tail
Blood
Rage
Goliath
Giant
Beast
Clan
Gruul
Rampage
Scale
Smash
Pit
Wild
Beast
Gruul
Tree

Krug
Hrrak
Gruul
Agnr
Cruht
Fruuck

Draw three.

10/10, unlike this card. 
Love this card!  I'd even try to run it in a Standard Gruul deck.  More excited to run it in my tribal beast EDH deck though
If this had a "may" clause, it would be pretty decent.  As is, i dunno.    Wild Pit-Tree?  Hrrak Scale Rage?  i dunno.    
It could be good to reanimate or ramp. There are obviously better options, but this card isn't gonna be expensive and still does some good work, so casual players rejoice!
-
But as has been pointed out, if it has a "may" clause, this wouldn't have made it OP or anything...
I'll run in one as a finisher at most or a SB against control decks depending on my meta. I like him but I wish he had Bloodrush or cost 1 less and was a 5/5.
How many rare 7cmc cards are there in this set so far? This, bug, demon and cycle puts it at 10.
Edit: I meant 8.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Fun ability but a bit expensive.
Pros like me know that repeatable removal like this can be abused.
Cruht-Pit Scale?

Krug-Gruul Smash?

This is great! 
Seems pretty decent in EDH, nowhere else due to his cost of course.

Wow, how often will this trend continue.
How to name Gruul cards:

Beast
Tail
Blood
Rage
Goliath
Giant
Beast
Clan
Gruul
Rampage
Scale
Smash
Pit
Wild
Beast
Gruul
Tree

Krug
Hrrak
Gruul
Agnr
Cruht
Fruuck

Draw three.

Gruul Beast Beast?
I want to Fruuck that Gruul in her Cruht?

Edit:  I b& nao? 
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.
Wow. My beast deck just became even more ridiculous. Defense of the heart into this guy and rampaging baloths spells doom for anything that moves.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
Sign In to post comments