Quest for a DM.

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
Myself and two others are looking for a GM.
Doesn't matter about if they're experienced or not. Just willing and capable.
We all live in the UK, if you're abroad we can see if we can work out a reasonable time and day to play.
As we're basically new to D&D, we've been practising on 4th Edition Rules,  but since we haven't actually bought handbooks yet (been practising via the Quick Rules and KotSF links), we're willing to get whatever is needed.

If anyone is interested, you can PM me or contact me via Skype, notforhire42.

Really looking forward to replies!
I have gm'ed other games but not D&D, I like the idea of on line play as I find getting other players difficult. I would happily have a go but id need some time to get the rules down and get set up. Do you have any ideas on days/times?
And thus a shining light did appear, and as our brave adventurers shielded their eyes; attempting to adjust to the intensity of this bright shining force of awesome, a voice did boom verily, "I am Bendermanduk, and I would deliver you from the forces of monotony."

I had little hope someone would respond, so cheers very much! I shall maintain a grip on you that even 'overly attached girlfriend' couldn't wrest it from.
I gather, from your name, you're from the UK. So the headache of working out a time should be a non-issue. As for days,  Sunday would be the best time for us. If it's not for you, then I'm sure we can work something out.
Don't worry about learning all the rules and such, as I said my friends and I are new to D&D and we will take just as long getting ourselves set up as it is. Hell, I've only just ordered the players handbook off of Amazon, but since it's apparently going to take a couple of weeks to get to me (I assume these, the most nerdiest of books, are in the dusty corner of the warehouse), meanwhile I've downloaded a PDF copy through.. nefarious means.
Add me on skype mate, it'll be easier to properly sort out everything via voip and we can help each other out concerning the prep and whatever else. My skype name is notforhire42

Cheers!
A small, wizened, robed man stops your band of brave travellers, 'I am the dungeon master and I will guide you on your quest to glory, power and riches. There will be danger for this is a path not travelled lightly but I can promise you adventure!'. He then vanishes with a puff of smoke but a voice booms out 'I will fetch you when the hour is upon us'

I'm still sorting out my spare room and the pc etc so I won't be on Skype for a day or so but it all sounds good. Have you all ready the adventure bit of KotSF? If not I'll probably start with that, if you have well start something different. I need to sort out something like maptools to use to game on but I'm a complete noob to that side of it so like I say it might take some time, but as your still waiting for books etc it'll all work out. What sort of age group are you and the others? I'm in my 30s. Catch you later.
We only did the very beginning of KotSF, the King's Road battle, so no worries there.
No problem about taking your time mate, we'll take just as long trying to work everything out on our end as it is.
We're all 24 years old.
We used roll20.net, dunno if that's better or worse than Maptools. We're fine with whatever you choose.

Looking forward to having a chat on Skype!
Hi,

I got a PM from Archangel88 about going the group, so that gives us four players i think. I have had a look at Roll20 and that looks really good and simple so I hope to use that. One issue I have is getting the grids to line up with the image of the map so it is a little off at the moment.

I'm still going through the rules atm so its starting to fall into place and Im sure it will all be right be the time we start.

Do you guys have level 1 characters rolled yet?

Also I hope to get my skype sorted today so I should be able to chat soon.

Ben
The maps you're using, do they have grids on them already?

We haven't rolled characters yet no, my thinking was we'd wait until everyone is together and do it then. To ensure we're no doing things wrong and/or cheating by accident. But, if you like we can roll sooner.
The maps you're using, do they have grids on them already?

We haven't rolled characters yet no, my thinking was we'd wait until everyone is together and do it then. To ensure we're no doing things wrong and/or cheating by accident. But, if you like we can roll sooner.

Well, the maps are 'back ups' of the ones from the adventure so have the pre printed grids on them. It may be that I can re-size to get it to work or its OK to go ahead. When we get an initial session going you guys can have a look and see what you think.

As for rolling characters it will be good to do it together. Any ideas on what classes/races for the group? As far as I'm concerened whatever you guys want to play shoudl be fine, except that I would prefer good/lawful good alignments. Race/Class/Gender etc just go for it. I might roll a character that might pop up from time to time.

I'm looking forward to this, it will be good to all start at roughly the same level and develop the story as we go.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BrXBd1TBO4 - Should hopefully help with the alignment problem.

I'm going Dwarf Fighter, I know that much but I'm not sure about others.
We'll stick to those alignments, it'll certainly make things less complicated then needs be.
I'll talk to the others today on skype at some point.
Cool, you tube is blocked at work so Ill have a look tonight, hopefully that will help sort it - cheers.

Dwarf fighters are good, nice and solid.

That vid worked fine, thanks mate.
Are the other players on here? I have added you as a friend and would like to add them too so we can start working some details out.
Other than Archangel88 and yourself, I'm the only other one with an account on here.
I'll be able to relay any details back and forth as needed though.

Was hoping for us all to get on Skype this Sunday, if you're up for that?
I just replied to your PM, but Sunday is fine, is 2pm ok? not too early or late?

We can have a general chat and the roll the characters, see how far we get etc and if we want to start the adventure.

I am still trying to get to grips with all the rules so there will be a learning curve for me and I would just say bear with me if the first couple of sessions are a little on the slow side. I'm looking forward to it though.
Hello everyone,

Looks like your starting from the very beggining with Keep on the Shadow Fell.  I live in the U.S. so I am not sure if I could get in on this game.
Will you be using D&D essentials ?   The smaller books ?
@ChromeDragon how far behind UK time are you? Im thinking we could look to move the time so you could join. The only thing I would say is that I do have to be up early on Mondays so I would rather not start too late so we could get a good session in.

Regarding the rules, I am using the 'standard' 4e rulebooks but I have the essesntials and there doesn't seem to be a significant amount of difference in how the games works (other guys feel free to correct me if Im wrong here). I think that character creation is different but not unrecognisibly so.

So to clarify interested players are :

Me (DM)
Micropanic (plus 2)
Archangel88
ChromeDragon

So that gives us 5 players, sounds ideal for scenario.

In terms of starting of I propose sunday at 2pm UK time. If that doesnt sit well with anyone please post suggestions and we'll come to an agreement.

Edit: Archangel has requested a start of 1pm UK, how does that sit with the group?
Well it is 7:30 AM here now. I am mountain time US.

Will I need to download skype or register with any sites ? Please let me know.  I think we need to make sure we have the varios roles filled too.
We have a Dwarven Fighter which I think is a Defender ?

Controller, Defender, Striker, Leader are the different roles that I see here, though some classes say you can have a secondary role if you need too.

I will probablly take one of the standard arrays for stats. That seems the simplest way to generate stats.

I am still deciding what class and race to play, the one new thing about 4th edition I like is they make everyone so cool that it is hard to decide.

Right now I like a few choices, Hexblade Warlock, Cavalier Paladin, and the Hunter Ranger class all look pretty good.
1pm is fine with us.

I believe the major difference between the 4e handbook and essentials, is an overall simplification of the character classes: Fewer spells/skills etc and premade characters(?).
Chrome, you may want to purchase a handbook later on, but no need just yet.

Yeah, Skype is indeed needed.
And you'll need to register on roll20.

One of my mates is going Human Wizard, the other hasn't decided yet.
Ok I am registered with roll20 site.

I will send my email to the DM so that he can invite me to the game.

Sounds Good a Dwarven Fighter and Human Wizard.  A Defender and Controller I believe.
I think I might go with a Striker. 

I keep trying to find what the Cavalier (Paladin) is classified as all the others in the book are defined.
The Druid is a Leader, the Warlock a Striker, the Ranger either a Striker or Controller.  It doesn't say anywhere that I can find what
role the Paladin has.  It looks to be a defender but I am not sure.
Ok I found it they are a Divine Defender.

Alright I have a Skype account now.
Ya 2pm works fine for me on sundays guys, infact i dont mind if we move it earlier noon ish even wouldnt be a problem for me to get up, and im thinking about a sorcerer, warlock but if some one wants the striker role i dont mind being a leader or defender either, Bendermanuk i think i invited you on skype not sure though
So shall we say 1pm UK time on Sunday?
I think that is 8 AM for me, I guess I am ok with that.

Is getting DDI worth it ?
D&D Insider is worth it if you're planning to DM a game in the future, I guess.
The only invaluable tools I can see with subscribing is gaining new professionally written adventures and a monster builder.
Otherwise it's stuff you can print off or buy in a more substantially detailed book form.
Chris Perkins also writes excellent DM blogs: www.wizards.com/dnd/archive.aspx?categor...

My mate who's rolling as a Human Wizard is in it for the damage, I'm going Dwarven Fighter with the goal of becoming an Iron Vanguard in the Paragon path. A tanking badass essentially.

Since we've got 5 people. I'd, personally, say a cleric, 3 damage dealers and 2 tanks would be awesome. My own opinion though.

Chrome, I've got my skype name listed on the first post of this thread, so add me when you can. I'll tell you the others over that incase the others would rather it not be known in public.
Ok I will look for your name thanks !
I am brand new to Skype though.

I tried saying hi to people on Skype but it is saying my messages havent been delivered yet.
It seems to take a long time to send.
I've just added you mate.  So no worries on my end. I'll send you the other names via skype.
See everyone tomorrow !

Great game today everyone ! Took a while to make characters but the encounter was pretty fun.

So we have:

A Drow Ranger 

A Human Cleric

A Human Wizard

A Dwarven Fighter

and a Dragonborn Hexblade Warlock.

Can I get peoples names for their characters ?

Balasar is my char the Dragonborn Hexblade Warlock.

I am going to work on his background and history today.
Great session today guys, I hope everyone enjoyed it, I certainly did.

Its was great to finally get started on something and the Roll20/Skype seemed to work well too. I'm looking forward to running the next session already!

Thanks a again, see you in a week!
Had an awesome time too.

Shame it took so long to create characters, but that's to be expected. At least that's all done with now.

Names for the characters are:

Prothean the Human Wizard
Boseph the Human Cleric
Vorgryn the Drow Ranger
and Baelred the Dwarf Fighter.
Thanks for getting those names for me. That will be helpful for the next game.  I am going to add that to my char sheet.
Aye, that's why I asked for names during the session.
Would rather call people by their characters name rather than anything else, so as not to break roleplay as much.

Also, this is a personal viewpoint of mine, I'd like to see you and Archangel roleplay through skype.
Unless I'm missing something, writing it through the chat system on Roll20 will be often missed, and, I think, to do it through Skype, will cause the rest of us to get into the roleplaying mind.
Of course, if you feel more comfortable to do it through chat, then fair enough.
Great session today guys, I hope everyone enjoyed it, I certainly did.

Its was great to finally get started on something and the Roll20/Skype seemed to work well too. I'm looking forward to running the next session already!

Thanks a again, see you in a week!

As I mentioned before, I used this adventure for Rich, Bo and I to get into the mind of D&D.
One massive problem I noticed was the maps. A lot of the maps had the monster locations in them as single letters to denote the placement, so without the fog of war, it's quite easy to see where they'd be placed. And unless you have access to maps without these markings, I don't see the possibility of us not metagaming, since we can see where they'll appear.
And not all the maps are redrawn by a third party.
Basically, if you do have the maps that show the marks where monsters are, you should keep the fog of war.
Otherwise, I expect, we'd (sub consciously or not) metagame against surprise encounters/traps and such.
Aye, that's why I asked for names during the session.
Would rather call people by their characters name rather than anything else, so as not to break roleplay as much.

Also, this is a personal viewpoint of mine, I'd like to see you and Archangel roleplay through skype.
Unless I'm missing something, writing it through the chat system on Roll20 will be often missed, and, I think, to do it through Skype, will cause the rest of us to get into the roleplaying mind.
Of course, if you feel more comfortable to do it through chat, then fair enough.

Yes I want to be able to call people by their names.  Much better then using race or class, or the traditional 'hey you'.

I can try to role play more on Skype though it is easier and more comfortable for me to type out what I am saying. I do have neighbors so a booming dragonborn voice would probably be hard to do. 
@Micropanic - the maps that I have don't have the monsters pre-marked on them or if they did the person who posted them to the internet removed them. I like the fog of war aspect of the Roll20 interface to help with that as well. I think that this will be really useful later on in the story. How far did you get with the adventure?

We only finished the first battle and stopped just as we entered Winterhaven. Everything past that point is a mystery.
I never got to play through any of the modules, though I have wanted too.

I own the modules that came with Monster Vault and Dungeon Masters Kit boxes.  I really liked the Eberron setting though I think they only published one module for it for 4E.  Ashen Crown I think it was called.
I know its early in the week but is everyone still OK for Sunday?
As far as I know Sunday is still good.
Yip yip, all good here.