question on security blockade..

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
This card says Enchanted land has 'tap': prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to you this turn.

Ok, does this mean, if I have that enchanted on a land, and I have 4 lands total, and play a creature that cost 4 lands (meaning that that one would then tap), does it activate it's ability? to prevent damage.

Also, since it says it prevent 1 damage to YOU, does that mean it will prevent a damage to a creature even if that creature is blocking.

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

Ok, does this mean, if I have that enchanted on a land, and I have 4 lands total, and play a creature that cost 4 lands (meaning that that one would then tap), does it activate it's ability? to prevent damage.

No. You may tap the enchanted land to obtain mana OR to prevent damage; not both.

since it says it prevent 1 damage to YOU, does that mean it will prevent a damage to a creature even if that creature is blocking.

No. It cannot prevent damage on creature. Only on YOU, the player.

play a creature that cost 4 lands

1. One casts a creature. This use of play was obsoleted in 2009.

2. Nothing costs 4 lands. I believe you meant "4 mana". Mana is usually produced by lands, but mana and lands are entirely separate things.
play a creature that cost 4 lands

1. One casts a creature. This use of play was obsoleted in 2009.

If we're being picky, players do still play cards. The term "play" encompasses both the casting of spells and the playing of lands. It's been used most recently on Search the City, and is also on Nightveil Specter in Gatecrash.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

He didn't say "play a card that happens to be creature", he said "play a creature" and that's improper. That use of play was obsoleted in 2009.
He didn't say "play a card that happens to be creature", he said "play a creature" and that's improper. This use of play was obsoleted in 2009.

In absolutely technical Magic terms, a "creature" (with no specification after it) refers to a creature on the battlefield. So you're right, you don't play creatures. You play creature cards.

But you also don't cast creatures. You cast creature spells.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

You play creature cards.

No, you can't say that as it was obsoleted in 2009. It was deemed confusing.

ok:

• play a card

• play a land

• cast a creature spell

informal:

• cast a creature (short for "cast a creature spell")

not ok:

• play a creature

• play a creature spell

• play a creature card

not ok:

• play a creature

• play a creature spell

• play a creature card

Only if you're a pedant.

Players can play cards. Some cards are creatures. Ergo, players can play cards which are creatures. For all practical intents and purposes, this is "playing a creature card", which in the case of nonland creature cards (ie, "all of them except Dryad Arbor") is one and the same thing as casting it. "Play a creature [spell/card]" is perfectly acceptable informal speech.

Lighten up, Feigel.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Lighten up, Feigel.

Hah!

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

Lighten up, Feigel.

ROFLMAO

We are Feigel. Resistance is futile. You will be educated.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Is this real or a joke? Is Ikegami actually the same person as Feigel?
It certainly is possible: Feigel was quite arrogant and possibly had had his account cancelled by the Forum mediators...  

I apologize for not 'wording' things properly for some. Being new to the game makes it difficult to be 'pomagically' correct.   Didn't mean to start a discussion on terms. I do however want to thank all the responses, we had a fun time last night playing and learning. Being able to ask a couple questions on rules here and getting such fast feedback is enourmously helpfull.

Thanks!
Magicese is a precise language, there is a difference between "blocked" and "blocked by a creature" for example

but ikegami takes it way too serious, so ignore him when he goes on about semantics, we all try to
proud member of the 2011 community team
You can certainly play a creature card. For examples, see Scout's Warning and Ward of Bones.

You can even play creatures: Check the oracle text on Uphill Battle.

But those three were the only exceptions that I could find. ikegami is right to say that the preferred term is "cast."
You can certainly play a creature card. For examples, see Scout's Warning and Ward of Bones.

You can even play creatures: Check the oracle text on Uphill Battle.

But those three were the only exceptions that I could find. ikegami is right to say that the preferred term is "cast."

No, there is a difference with those 3, a they will include Dryad Arbor. So, with the ward, if your opponent had more creatures than you but not more lands, they still couldn't play the dryad. If it said cast, they could play the dryad because they wouldn't cast it.
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Uphill Battle states that creatures played by your opponents enter the battlefield tapped.

While that specific wording does include Dryad Arbor, it also implies that "play a creature" is a perfectly acceptable way to describe what happens when your opponent casts a "normal" creature spell.
Sign In to post comments