Glaring Spotlight and Asceticism

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I noticed that Glaring spotlight from the gatecrash preview effectively removes hexproof.  However, Asceticism says " creatures you control cannot be the target of a spell your opponent controls".  Both have the same effect, but Asceticism does not grant hexproof per se.  Has there been a rules change on Asceticism, or would that be a way to avoid Glaring Spotlight.
next time please mark questions about GTC cards with Spoiler in the title

Glaring Spotlight will allow you to target creatures affected by Asceticism, check out the Oracle text, it does grant Hexproof
proud member of the 2011 community team
Please autocard see my sig. If you check gatherer it says Asceticism grants creatures you control hexproof. The oracle text always trumps whats printed on the card.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

Always refer to the Oracle text of a card. If you look at the Oracle text of Asceticism (click the uatocard to see it), you'll see that it now gives creatures hexproof - which Glaring Spotlight will effectively nullify.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
EDIT: damn... 3 posts beat me by under 30 seconds :P
However, Asceticism says " creatures you control cannot be the target of a spell your opponent controls".

You can look up a card's oracle text at gatherer.wizards.com. Asceticism now says "Creatures you control have hexproof" (it received this wording when hexproof was added to the game).  Glaring spotlight will stop it.
many of the older cards have been erratad to grant Hexproof, but there are still some exceptions like Canopy Cover
proud member of the 2011 community team
EDIT: damn... 3 posts beat me by under 30 seconds :P

Yeah, this place is frickin' insane....

many of the older cards have been erratad to grant Hexproof, but there are still some exceptions like Canopy Cover

To be fair, that and Shielding Plax (which I believe is the other 'exception') would become functionally different if they granted the creature hexproof - as they are currently, the enchantment itself is what protects the creature. So if the opponent were to cast Sudden Spoiling, it would remove hexproof if the enchantments granted it, but as they are now those creatures are still protected.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O

To be fair, that and Shielding Plax (which I believe is the other 'exception') would become functionally different if they granted the creature hexproof - as they are currently, the enchantment itself is what protects the creature. So if the opponent were to cast Sudden Spoiling, it would remove hexproof if the enchantments granted it, but as they are now those creatures are still protected.

Actually, the real issue is that, as printed, the creature can't be targeted by opponents of Shielding Plax's controller. If it granted hexproof, the creature couldn't be targeted by opponents of the creature's controller.

As originally printed, Fear would have prevented your opponent from blocking even after Sudden Spoiling was cast, but it still got errata'd to grant fear to the creature.
Rules Advisor
The big difference is that Canopy Cover and Shielding Plax can enchant your opponents' creatures. In that case, those creatures will still be targetable by you (being the enchantment's controller), but not your opponents. This can be used, for example, to shut down that player's Equip abilities, Aura spells, pump spells, etc. Same deal with Vines of Vastwood.

Errata to have them grant hexproof would shut down these important uses.
Sign In to post comments