ROE Draft!

323 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok I'm starting this one up early because I know some people may not want to participate in drafting an older set like Legends.  Also I'm done with Fallen Empires and don't really want to do that one on here again.

This will be an Rise of the Eldrazi draft!

ROE
ROE
ROE

Pack 1:

Linvala, Keeper of Silence
Surreal Memoir
Time of Heroes
Brimstone Mage
Dread Drone
Contaminated Ground
Hand of Emrakul
Venerated Teacher
Growth Spasm
Kiln Fiend
Jwari Scuttler
Stomper Cub
Knight of Cliffhaven
Unified Will FOIL 
Never drafted this before, so I have some basic thoughts.  If they suck, feel free to say something.

I feel like Time of Heroes could be great in this set in multiples.
Not sure if it's worth it to just start table slamming every Annihilator Eldrazi I see (like Hand).
Brimstone Mage seems really, really overcosted to get a pinger (even though removal is removal; it feels like it isn't worth it).

For now, I'm just taking the Mythic, because it shuts people down hard, and is already slightly over curve as a 3/4 flyer for 4.

Linvala

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Linvala.

However, that mage looks friggin' AWESOME. A pinger is great, a lightning bolt on a stick is stellar.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Linvala

There are very few formats where a 3/4 flyer for 4 aren't good. 
Linvala.

Also, I'm trying to remember the archetypes here...
W/U flyers/levelers
W/G totem Armor
G/B Ramp/Eldrazi
G/U something I think...
am I remembering right?  I know I'm forgetting some.
Susan Summerson from the Hell breaks loose Flavorful Voting Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29076567/Hell_breaking_loose:_an_Avacyn_Restored_voting_game?pg=1 Click here for more Forum Games:
Show
Susan Summerson also appeared in the Innistrad Mafia Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28609371/Innistrad_Mafia?pg=1 Writer of Nally Bear from The Gathering Flavorful Voting Game: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28846821/The_Gathering:_M12_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Writer of Phyrex the Myr from Phyrexia Reborn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27993097/Phyrexia_Reborn:_A_Flavorful_Voting_Game?pg=1 Writer of Tinker the Myr from Legacy of Karn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26647005/Karns_Legacy_(A_flavorful_voting_game) Writer of Crusader Tolkana, who has appeared in: Eldrazi Awaken: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/24071149/Eldrazi_Awaken:_A_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Colors of Magic: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/25352501/Colors_of_Magic:_a_flavor_game?pg=1 Guildwars III: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26082093/Guildwars_III:_Shattered_Pact_(A_flavorful_voting_game)?pg=1 Writer of Isaic from Treasures of Zendikar http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22819881/Treasures_of_Zendikar?post_id=402182877#402182877
Linvala is a great body with an ability that locks down levelers, Eldrazi spawn and defenders with abilities. Snap that up.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Linvala is incredible.
3/4 flier for 4 was all I needed to see.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Linvala is quite strong in this set, as Mythic creatures tend to be. But if I remember correctly the strongest architype was Green Ramp/X/Eldrazi.
Linvala is quite strong in this set, as Mythic creatures tend to be. But if I remember correctly the strongest architype was Green Ramp/X/Eldrazi.

It was also drafted heavily and I don't think taking Spasm here and passing Linvala is a good decision. Though I would not criticize someone who was hellbent on drafting green for doing so, I honestly believe we should be picking the strongest card no matter color for the first few picks at least.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

W/U skies/levelers was also very powerful, especially as the invokers in those colours could just win you the game.

Linvala is the pick. (And if we're lucky maybe we get to go GW and draft the aura gnarlid deck?)

Agreed but in my experience Level up was better if you managed to not have to commpete for Cards and the best Archtype is Totems.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Linvala
Linvala.

I had a lot of good results in ROE drafting flyers/control.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Linvala.

I had good luck drafting 5x Overgrown Battlement, Ulamog's Crushers and Pelakka Wurms :-)
Linvala.

I had good luck drafting 5x Overgrown Battlement, Ulamog's Crushers and Pelakka Wurms :-)

Well, you must have had A LOT of good luck (as in there was one in every pack, or your opponents were extremely stupid) if you managed to get 5x overgrown battlement.  It's rare for me to get 3 of even a mediocre common, I don't think I've ever gotten 4, and overgrown battlement was the best green common in the set.

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
Linvala.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
In M13, Kindled Fury was a very decent common and I tended to manage to take 6 of them sometimes.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Agreed about Linvala. This is a leveler's dream pack: Venerated Teacher,Time of Heroes,Brimstone Mage,Knight of Cliffhaven. I wouldn't expect to get much leveler stuff back in pack 2.
Linvala.

Yeah, well, Crusher is on Guard Duty and the Wurm has Narcolepsy. Flyers say hi.

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Linvala.

Yeah, well, Crusher is on Guard Duty and the Wurm has Narcolepsy. Flyers say hi.

Time to bring in Kozilek, Ulamog and Emrakul! Seriously though, if you could put together green ramp to Eldrazi, such that you were dropping Eldrazi on turn 4 it was difficult to lose. But perhaps more fun to go the Guard Duty / flyers route.
A bit surprising the last player passed Sarkhan.  I'm tempted towards the Vindicator, but I could be convinced on Gomazoa, Invader, Sarkhan, or Hatcher
Susan Summerson from the Hell breaks loose Flavorful Voting Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29076567/Hell_breaking_loose:_an_Avacyn_Restored_voting_game?pg=1 Click here for more Forum Games:
Show
Susan Summerson also appeared in the Innistrad Mafia Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28609371/Innistrad_Mafia?pg=1 Writer of Nally Bear from The Gathering Flavorful Voting Game: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28846821/The_Gathering:_M12_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Writer of Phyrex the Myr from Phyrexia Reborn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27993097/Phyrexia_Reborn:_A_Flavorful_Voting_Game?pg=1 Writer of Tinker the Myr from Legacy of Karn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26647005/Karns_Legacy_(A_flavorful_voting_game) Writer of Crusader Tolkana, who has appeared in: Eldrazi Awaken: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/24071149/Eldrazi_Awaken:_A_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Colors of Magic: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/25352501/Colors_of_Magic:_a_flavor_game?pg=1 Guildwars III: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26082093/Guildwars_III:_Shattered_Pact_(A_flavorful_voting_game)?pg=1 Writer of Isaic from Treasures of Zendikar http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22819881/Treasures_of_Zendikar?post_id=402182877#402182877
Ummmmm....what?

Is Sarkhan really that bad in limited that an uncommon is first-pickable over him?

Anyways, both the Vindicator and the Gomazoa look pickable over all the commons here, even Induce Despair and Guard Duty in this case (although yes, removal is removal).

I'll take the Gomazoa, but am very willing to change that one based on better analysis.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Sarkhan is really good.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I think you'd have to take Sarkhan here, this is a set with a lot of 0/1 tokens that could become 5/5 dragons.
Sarkhan.
Gamazoa. We've already got a good flyer, picking the jellyfish puts us in the other flying color and stops our flyers from being repeatedly chumped.

BTW, falconer, saying you'll bust out multiple mythics against me in draft when I'm shooting you down with commons is kinda'... well... Stupid.

Gamazoa. We've already got a good flyer, picking the jellyfish puts us in the other flying color and stops our flyers from being repeatedly chumped.

BTW, falconer, saying you'll bust out multiple mythics against me in draft when I'm shooting you down with commons is kinda'... well... Stupid.

Show a little class.

Didn't your parents teach you how to speak to other human beings?

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Sarkhan.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Sarkhan seems pretty good to pass up.

Show a little class.

How does what he's saying demonstrate a lack of class?

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

Show a little class.

Apprentice has had a bug up his duct concerning me for a while. I blocked him... last week? Week before? Longer ago than that? Who knows? I wouldn't worry about him.

Show a little class.

Apprentice has had a bug up his duct concerning me for a while. I blocked him... last week? Week before? Longer ago than that? Who knows? I wouldn't worry about him.

He has this thing where he strawman ad hominems people.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

Show a little class.

He has this thing where he strawman ad hominems people.

If he sticks to pattern, he'll say something about DQing in response to all this.

Sarkhan

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Sarkhan seems pretty good. I can't recall ever playing with him in limited, but seems like the right pick.
Keep the drama at home people, please...

Oh, and Sarkhan
Sarkhan is horrible in limited so lets take Zoa instead.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Keep the drama at home people, please... Oh, and Sarkhan

What sort of uncultured person are you that you cannot appreciate a drama?

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Vindicator over Guard Duty, I think. Pass that Sarkhan right along.