Mono-Colored Decks--Not Competitive/Relevant Anymore?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Perhaps this has been discussed before and I'm just late to the party, but it just feels as though MtG is moving more and more toward a multi-colored flavor (especially in Standard), to the point where mono decks aren't competitive or viable anymore. I see the new Gatecrash cards and the RtR cards, and it further solidifies my belief that MtG has progressed to the point that a single color is only part of a bigger puzzle and not a destination of its own.

Maybe I'm just too old school, but there is a charm to each color having its strengths and weaknesses. Now, however, it seems to be more about the guilds than it is the colors.

Am I offbase? 

Mono decks are still relevant. It just happens that green and blue aren't. Green because monogreen was never relevant, and blue because Cavern of Souls.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
You are half correct. The current set is indeed about two color pairs rather than monocolored decks. That said, you are correct more by coincidence than anything else. This block is specifically focused on two color pairs which is why they're being pushed so hard.

Wait a year or two and you'll see a move back towards a balance between monocolored decks and multicolored decks.

Of course, as long as it's easy to build a two color deck with the duals available, it'll always be a powerful and important option. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Bear in mind we're currently directly between one of the most multicolour sets of all times, and a tribal set organised around two-colour pairings ;) I daresay monocolour decks will come around again when/if we start to lose manafixing (i.e. when the shocklands rotate, and if the core lands rotate).
Well, the most multicolor block was Shards of Alara.

5colorcontrol's being stupid, so I can't link to the "Eladamri EDH in Alara Reborn" strip.

Shadowmoor featured hybrid, Shards featured three-color (one and its allies), Invasion featured allies then enemies, and Ravnica (and Return to Ravnica) featured allies and enemies both in all sets but organized in a way to favor limited (with RTR representing each color twice in RTR and GTC while Ravnica...didn't).

Multicolor is really popular, as you can see.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
I think it's interesting that a block based on two color pairs has inspired so many people to play three or more colors.  I know that it's because the mana fixing available makes it possible.  It just seems odd that with the guild focus, very few people are actually guild style decks. 
Maybe in Standard but certainly not in the larger cardpools. Monocolored decks are actually pretty strong in Legacy because they are very consistent and naturally resistant to hosing in a format where there are boatloads of cards that, in one way or another, cripple decks with complicated manabases. It's also very inexpensive, comparatively speaking, because you don't have to blow $600 on lands alone for your deck.
I'm experiencing good results with a mono red deck at Standard FNMs. Sure, I don't expect the archetype to dominate GPs any time soon, but it's playable.

L1 Judge

I'm running mono-black Pack Rat right now in Standard and it's humming along quite nicely. 

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

RDW is always among the top decks
it might not be THE top deck, but in the hand of a capable pilot it is a force to be reconned with

MBC is also quite viable

green is currently not really viable, because there isn't that much to ramp into
sure, there is Worldspine Wurm, but other than that?

white would also be viable with a human tribal, the "problem" is that it is simply that much better as green-white

and blue is being hated quite a bit right now with Cavern and all the uncounterable stuff
proud member of the 2011 community team
Keep in mind, I don't play Standard at all, but I do watch a lot of people playing it while judging. This has been true for a long time: there is little to no drawback to playing a lot of colors in Standard. WotC has pretty much completely stopped printing strong ways of interacting with your opponent's manabase. You can't punish someone for being super greedy with their mana. Also, every block and core set we get different multicolored lands. This ensures that people can fill thier land slots up with all the viable non-basics they want. Finally, due to the reduced card pool size of Standard the power band is steeper than in other formats like Modern and Legacy. There are a certain number of bombs you can throw in and you want to play as many as possible. Those cards may not actually be in the same colors or even form a coherant strategy, but good cards that win games are still good cards to flesh out your deck.

Lack of interaction with opponent's mana + Tons of color fixing + There is usually a better card if you go into more colors = No real reason not to use more colors.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Keep in mind, I don't play Standard at all, but I do watch a lot of people playing it while judging. This has been true for a long time: there is little to no drawback to playing a lot of colors in Standard. WotC has pretty much completely stopped printing strong ways of interacting with your opponent's manabase. You can't punish someone for being super greedy with their mana. Also, every block and core set we get different multicolored lands. This ensures that people can fill thier land slots up with all the viable non-basics they want.

If ever there was a great time for Blood Moon to get a reprint, M14 will be it.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

If ever there was a great time for Blood Moon to get a reprint, M14 will be it.

Or Price of Progress and Back to Basics.  I'd love it if either of those got a reprint, since I've already got my playset of Moons.

Mono decks are still relevant. It just happens that green and blue aren't. Green because monogreen was never relevant, and blue because Cavern of Souls.

What is the last significant mono blue deck you can remember? I need to go back to TSP.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

was Guile ever a thing in Standard? I know I am having a blast with him in Modern
proud member of the 2011 community team
If I recall correctly Guile saw play in the 5-Color control deck of it's day. Speaking of 5 color control: Vivid Lands, Reflecting pooland Exotic Orchard were the mana base of choice back then, so no one had any trouble mana fixing.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
If I recall correctly Guile saw play in the 5-Color control deck of it's day. Speaking of 5 color control: Vivid Lands, Reflecting pooland Exotic Orchard were the mana base of choice back then, so no one had any trouble mana fixing.

You need a pretty crazy manabase to play Cryptic Command, Cruel Ultimatum, Wrath of God and Cloudthresher in the same deck. I think it's some time until we'll see that again though.

Filter Lands helped too, or whatever the a/b = aa/ab/bb lands are called.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Another problem with mono, is that often multcoloured cards get a discount due to ther assumed harder to reach casting cost.

For example, one of my favorite cards of all time; horned kavu vs centaur courser vs [Card]centaur healer[/card].

Notice something odd? The courser is inferiour both to the cheaper 2cmc and the same-costed 3cmc. So you get more benefit, and with the current manabases, the old problem of fixing mana is solved for you, so there is little reason to not go for multicoloured, with some exceptions.

Another result of invasion was also that it brought along hate for monocoloured cards, and to this day cards like ultimate price puts monocolour at a slight disadvantage.

That said, monocolour exsist and it can still be effective. My monowhite human weenies deck works ok, and I have seen monored goblin decks in legacy, or monoblue combo decks. In terms of standard, i believe Zombiess were monocoloured before ravnica, and as has been noted, we are in a monocoloured block at the time.

However, while at it. if say green has 80 cards in a block, and white has 80 colours, the 160 card pool is statistically more likely to have a higher number of good cards than just the 80 card pool, so that is also a reason for the predominance of multicoloured decks. Want to have both restoration angel and Thragtusk? well, you have to go selesnya then.

Mono green was relevant as recently as m13 standard, and mono black and mono white are pretty bad now, because if you don't have the super aggressive rdw deck, it's hard to justify not playing multicolored in a standard with 20, soon to be 30, dual lands in print.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

Mono green was relevant as recently as m13 standard, and mono black and mono white are pretty bad now, because if you don't have the super aggressive rdw deck, it's hard to justify not playing multicolored in a standard with 20, soon to be 30, dual lands in print.

I'm pretty sure Thragtusk decks usually splash another color.

But yeah, it is tough to justify playing mono with so many dual lands.
139359831 wrote:
Isn't this a debate to have AFTER RtR/Wizards reprinting the shocklands while simultaneously making Modern a FNM rotates away?

Mono red is traditionally a way of keeping folks honest. It's... Around, but beating zombies/br aggro means less if you lose to the decks that your victims feed on.

You need the right tools, hard control or a tempo deck to feed on and less omfg-re-stupid cards to deal with for it to work.

Sure, reprinting sinkhole with the ability to only hit nonbasics and cycling would be magical and sure I want to hear the dulcet tones of Niche crying out in victory as MBC crushes dreams. You need sp
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.

I'm pretty sure Thragtusk decks usually splash another color.

But yeah, it is tough to justify playing mono with so many dual lands.

www.channelfireball.com/articles/twoos-b...

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
You need specific metas to make that work and specific card pools. As Wizards makes the game less 'unfun' the decks that were the predators for such unfun tactics are getting splash hated out of existance.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Isn't this a debate to have AFTER RtR/Wizards reprinting the shocklands while simultaneously making Modern a FNM rotates away? Mono red is traditionally a way of keeping folks honest. It's... Around, but beating zombies/br aggro means less if you lose to the decks that your victims feed on. You need the right tools, hard control or a tempo deck to feed on and less omfg-re-stupid cards to deal with for it to work. Sure, reprinting sinkhole with the ability to only hit nonbasics and cycling would be magical and sure I want to hear the dulcet tones of Niche crying out in victory as MBC crushes dreams. You need sp

I'd actually play UB and Snapcaster that Sinkhole reprint. 4 Sinkholes and 4 Ghost Quarters isn't enough to really force tears. You have to repeat the performance.

But yes, you could start with sinkhole and gq. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

And then, like magus of the moon, you'd be able to swing for two.
76783093 wrote:
Sign In to post comments