I don't see a thread on it. Iron Hide is terrible.

/sign for 1 DR being an awful, awful level 9 feat.
I'm not certain that you're going to get anyone to disagree with that statement. For a 9th level feat is seems like it would never be chosen by a PC. I think it would be better placed as a 1st level choice, but even then I don't feel it's strong enough to "waste" taking Improved init, durable, or first stike...
I think durable is worse, at least in a game which takes average hp instead of rolling.
+1 to OP.

Now, whining about something done wrong is good, but I've always felt that if I should declare something as a failure, then I ought to provide an alternative I consider viable. So, here's a few suggestions:

1) As a move action, spend any number of remaining Hit Dice, to reduce bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from any weapon attack by the number of dice spent for the duration of that encounter.

2) During a short rest, or after a long rest, spend and roll any number of remaining Hit Dice, adding your Constitution modifier to each as normal. You gain the sum as temporary hit points. Temporary hit points from multiple sources (including multiple uses of this feat) do not stack, and damage to temporary hit points cannot be healed. Any remaining temporary hit points go away after a long rest.

3) At the beginning of an encounter, spend and roll your Skill Die, to reduce bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from any weapon attack by the amount rolled. Maintaining this ability requires concentration, although you do not need to check for loss of concentration when you take damage. You can stop maintaining this ability any time, by simply ceasing to concentrate on it. While you maintain this ability, your Skill Die remains spent and unavailable.

Well... that's my 2 cp...
Thread: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I'll say the same thing I said there: Iron Hide is not as bad as Weapon Focus.

1) As a move action, spend any number of remaining Hit Dice, to reduce bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from any weapon attack by the number of dice spent for the duration of that encounter.

Shhhhh don't say Move Action.

Now it's either Move or an Action.

;P

Shhhhh don't say Move Action.

Now it's either Move or an Action.

;P

Oops :D
We Greeks tend to rush ahead without thinking much about the consequences... OK, make it "By giving up your move..."
The simplest and most elegant solution would be to change it to make it offer a +1 to AC.  In a world with Bounded Accuracy, a +1 is huge, even at 9th level.

Why not?  There is already a way of obtaining a +1 to AC over and above one's armour and Dexterity bonus:  be a Mountain Dwarf.

Just to forestall any min-maxing, I'd like to see Iron Hide replace the Mountain Dwarf +1 AC Racial feature, so a Mountain Dwarf PC can't take it twice.

If you have to resort to making offensive comments instead of making logical arguments, you deserve to be ignored.

I think durable is worth it even without rolling for HP on level up. Since my monk is the "tank" for the party, it really helps being able to heal about 1.5x max health per day with healing kits.

Low damage resistance like that is only useful in a few situations. Either you are swarmed by a bunch of weak enemies (20 kobolds?) or you are being subject to continuous damage such as stinking cloud or a wall of fire. Since it only applies to physical damage, it is even more limited...

The deflect feat is much better assuming you have a free reaction. I regularly block 5+ damage / round with deflect... and it works against non-physical damage as long as its melee. I think it should either be 2 DR for all damage types or 3-4 physical DR.
The deflect feat is much better assuming you have a free reaction. I regularly block 5+ damage / round with deflect... and it works against non-physical damage as long as its melee. I think it should either be 2 DR for all damage types or 3-4 physical DR.

The only problem with Deflect is that it requires you to have a light weapon in hand. Granted, not a big deal if you have a hand free, but I hate the thought of holding a dagger as a Monk simply to use a feat that should be usable with the Monk's Way of the Fist feature (best answer would be to make the monk's unarmed strike count as a light weapon as well).

With regard to Iron Hide. It's terrbile. Make it CON MOD DR (Minimum 1). Assuming Max CON, that's DR 5. That's pretty awesome and it should be since you sunk two feats into it and the first feat isn't that great to begin with...

With regard to Iron Hide. It's terrbile. Make it CON MOD DR (Minimum 1). Assuming Max CON, that's DR 5. That's pretty awesome and it should be since you sunk two feats into it and the first feat isn't that great to begin with...

What do you mean sunk two feats into it?  Iron Hide doesn't require any other feat.  Your change sounds vastly overpowered.
Drop the minimum CON prereq, and it becomes much more useful

What do you mean sunk two feats into it?  Iron Hide doesn't require any other feat.  Your change sounds vastly overpowered.

Oops, looking at the wrong feat for prereqs. I still think (up to) 5 DR is not that terrible. Looking at a selection of average damage for 5th-9th level monsters, they're going to still be damaging the character on balance (even monsters that are far down the Encounter Building Level suggestion). The character just lasts longer against physical attacks (and has given up the ability to take any of the much better 9th level feats out there).

I do think a monk with this ability and Iron Root Defense would be hilarious. Then again, they'd also be mighty SAD (and Mighty Root Defense seems kind of crazy).
Its not that bad a feat unless your DM is obsessed with making sure that all the threats of the world scale with your level magically like a final fantasy game. Bounded accuracy needs to be tweaked a little (+2 to hit is too low) but it's supposed to make armies of goblins and kobolds still a part of the game at higher levels. Reducing a stone giant's attack by one point is not great, but reducing an army of 1d4 dagger stabbing little pygmies is pretty powerful.

Also once we get a more impressive selection of gear to choose from, resistances may become a major component of gameplay. Once hazards and aura's start doing half-damage, reducing them by an addional point can be fairly significant.
Con Mod DR vs Physical would be good

Gives Con some significance
Con Mod DR vs Physical would be good

Gives Con some significance

It would be so powerfull that characters without it would be handicapped

A barbarian with 20 con in a rage could totally IGNORE a large mob weilding anything but 2-h weapons

If you think that toughness is ok because it grants you an aditional HP per level, Iron hide gives you an additional HP per attack you suffer. Depending on circumstances they could interchangeably be the best bet.

Try radiance RPG. A complete D20 game that supports fantasy and steampunk. Download the FREE PDF here: http://www.radiancerpg.com
Don't improve it - make it die in a fire. DR is fiddly and time-consuming. Parry, Deflect, etc. are okay because they burn your reaction, limiting the amount of time they can waste and making them more of a tactical choice. 

For the record, kill Weapon Focus and Two-Weapon Defense too. Two-Weapon Defense is a boring way to balance TWF. Weapon Focus meets the suck trifecta: it's boring, time-consuming, and weak. In general, I understand that less tactics-focused players should have feat options that make them more effective in combat without heaping on even more tactical options, which is why I like Toughness just fine. But it's a fine line to create those feats without making them either tedious or so powerful they're "feat taxes." 
Don't improve it - make it die in a fire. DR is fiddly and time-consuming. Parry, Deflect, etc. are okay because they burn your reaction, limiting the amount of time they can waste and making them more of a tactical choice. 

For the record, kill Weapon Focus and Two-Weapon Defense too. Two-Weapon Defense is a boring way to balance TWF. Weapon Focus meets the suck trifecta: it's boring, time-consuming, and weak. In general, I understand that less tactics-focused players should have feat options that make them more effective in combat without heaping on even more tactical options, which is why I like Toughness just fine. But it's a fine line to create those feats without making them either tedious or so powerful they're "feat taxes." 

I support this too
Tho I would also kill Durable (add the second effect to Resilience), Herbalism and Restore Life
Herbalism and Restore Life feel like they could easily be made into a Skill thing than a Feat thing
Temporary Hit points is the way to go....

You gain ConMod temp hit points at the end of your turn.  

Carl  
You could just have it start at lvl 1 and scale a bit with level. up 1 at 5th/10th/15th/20th.
Alternatively, Carl's idea is also good. 
Show
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
What Clan are you? There is no equality. There exists only equity.
As a separate issue not related to balance, but just reflecting personal experience and preference...

I don't like DR that subtracts from each attack for two fairly trivial annoyances.

1)  I am forgetful - and my experience as  a DM says players are as well.  I forget to apply the DR and I've seen players do the same.  Speaking for myself - I do better with temp hit points because they are just easier to remember somehow.  

2)  DR forces a small slowdown during play because it subtracts a different amount of damage depending on whether the target was hit by one, two or three attacks -for example.  As a DM I can't just roll my multiattack,determine how many hit and roll all the damage dice (especially when the DR gets larger than 1 point).  I have to deal with each attack individually.  This is, of course, less of an issue with small DRs (like Iron Hide) - and more of a problem with large DRs to specific types of attacks (like 4Es Resist 10 fire, etc.)

Neither is a big factor, neither affects balance.  But they are annoyances to DR over temp hit points. 

Carl