Need ideas for a mounted Hobgoblin

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
With a new LFR heroic campaign starting up soon, I'm considering playing a mounted Hobgoblin. I think that should be easy to do thanks to Hobgoblin Phalanx Soldier (Str 13, gain proficiency with all shields without the penalties), Goblinoid Mount Training (mounts use your defenses) and Hobgoblin Weapon Training (proficiency and +2/3/4 feat damage bonus with all spears and flails). Question is, what classes are good for this tactic? (taking the Hobgoblin's Con + Int/Cha racial bonus into account)

There are two mounts that are really awesome for charge-op: the Warhorse (level 3, +5 damage bonus to all charges) and the Magebred Destrier (level 5, +6 damage bonus and an encounter power that gives it THP = your surge value when you spend a surge). I've already statted out a decent Ardent (right stats, several basic attack powers) with high defenses that can give the mount some temp HP every encounter and of course heal it with Ardent Surge once/day. But aside from a Vanguard Lance it's hard to do serious charge-op for it (no Dex for Surprising Charge, for example).

I'm interested to see what else is possible with this concept. For example, I can see a Warlock working too.

So again, the requirements are:
- Hobgoblin
- Mounted
- Still functional when not mounted
- Interesting and fun throughout heroic

Link to a list of good heroic mounts.
There might be a possibility to get the dex for suprising charge, but it would be difficult and probably would make you suffer too much in other areas.

With a new race, especially one like this, I generally take the idea from the start and see where I can go with it by trying to make one of every class from it.  My initial thought is a hexblade (although sadly you won't get a lance out of it).

There also might be a way to get a workable Blackguard out of it, but it seems like too much effort.

Sadly if you want to make a great charger with hobgoblin it seems like the best way is to kill them first.  Then Revenant-past life hobgoblin opens a huge number of doors.

Edit: Revenant hobgoblin slayer with Dex training?  Seems like it could be interesting, but thats a lot of feats out of the gate.  Lets you switch from your mounted weapon (Lance) to your ground weapon (gouge) quickly though by level 4. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Battlemind is good for CON/CHA...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Battlemind is good for CON/CHA...

BM isn't really a good charger class.  Which if you are going to be mounted, wanting dex, with a lance.  I'm failing to see what you are doing that isn't charging...  That being said, you really don't have to be a good class to be a charger, but you might want to consider it.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
The answer is definitely Con/Dex or Cha/Dex Revenant Executioner|Warlock. They get stupid MBAs
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Hexblade.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
If you're playing it in LFR, I'd say Hexblade with Ki Focus tomfoolery.  Maybe Gloomblade for the Reach Flail they get automatically, add in a Transcendent Ki Focus for Reach 2, on a mount.

Also, remember that Swordmage article that brought Arcane Lance?  Adds IntMod damage if you charge while mounted, and it's a melee 2 attack on its own.  Stats line up for a Shielding Swordmage too...

EDIT:  Didn't realize Arcane Lance didn't get IntMod to begin with.  Sadface.  Charging Swordmage maybe?

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Reach 3

Staff Expertise also works for +reach, if you don't like the ki focus idea.  Same entry feat cost (unless you go Elemental Initiate), but saves you the superior implement feat.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Also, remember that Swordmage article that brought Arcane Lance?  Adds IntMod damage if you charge while mounted, and it's a melee 2 attack on its own.  Stats line up for a Shielding Swordmage too...

EDIT:  Didn't realize Arcane Lance didn't get IntMod to begin with.  Sadface.  Charging Swordmage maybe?

I (rightly) got shouted down pretty hard when I suggested something along those lines. Even if the power was any good (combination of reach, slow and charging is just weird), I agree now that Swordmages have no business charging.

EDIT: I still think Arcane Lance is kinda nice against non-flying enemies with normal reach if you're on a flying mount. Slowing a melee foe while staying out of its reach is not a bad tactic. But flying mounts are too expensive for heroic LFR.
Executioner|warlock > Hexblade
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I kind of favor something like a Blackguard|Executioner to play up the Hobgoblin Knight flavor. Dex/Cha, probably revenant version.

Pack Outcast for perma-CA when mounted; your weapon package is Vanguard Lance/Vanguard Tratnyr (when dismounted). You get a mean MBA, and eventually and pick up triple-hitter powers from the assassin side.
Pack Outcast for perma-CA when mounted;

How are you picking that up?
D'oh, missed the Human/Shifter requirement.
Consider that the mount feat works for goblins too.  If you're a Black|Exe using a lance, you don't need the other two hobgoblin feats anyway.  You can ride on your own companion with FBT for auto-CA, although you lose some of the nifty mount abilities.  But at that point I guess you're not getting that much out of the mount feat either.
I like the idea of a Blackguard|Executioner for a hobgoblin. The campaign is set in Eltugard, aka the paladin capital of the world, so it'll fit the flavor nicely. Let's see how long it takes before the bullies of Torm beat him up.