[Wide Beta] Feedback — Collection, Deckbuilding, and Trading Cards "[Retired]"

159 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please use this thread to post and discuss your feedback on the collection and deck building screen in the new MTGO wide beta client. This includes viewing your collection, trading cards with other players, and making & saving decks.  Please keep the discussion focused ONLY on these topics regarding the Wide Beta.    

Please DO NOT POST BUGS in this thread. Instead please use the Customer Service bug report form.

Feedback thread index
Finding and Playing Games
Collection, Deckbuilding, and Trading Cards
Store, Settings, and Miscellany

Retired feedback threads (closed 16 Jan)
[Retired] Finding and Playing Games 
[Retired] Collection, Deckbuilding, and Trading Cards
[Retired] Store, Settings, and Miscellany

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
My Feedback for the Collection area of the BETA is:

1.  Deck Binder:  We really miss our Binders from v3.  We want to be able to flick through our card collection, just like we would with Paper Magic.  Please can we request that you do not deny us this simple pleasure.  This was one of the best features of the old client, and it is sad that you are thinking of removing it.

2.  Different Pictures for Same Cards:  When Deck building, I like to use my favourite pictures and alternate art on various cards.  For example, I have many M13 negates, but I want to use my Promo versions of the Negate.  Because the M13 versions appear on top, I cannot see my Promo versions and I must manually try to guess where it is in the pile.  Please keep different art in different piles so that I can easily move the best version into my deck.  

(I realize that one can filter the cards by set, but I do not believe it is sensible to make users go through this effort for something so simple as choosing the best art).

Thank you.

Just click the show all versions and you will see any promos you have. You can even filter promos only in the view panel.
Thank you, I just tried to "Show all versions" and it worked. Cheers.
I would like to be able to search for activated abilities, i.e. search for ":" but that doesn't work.
I would like to be able to search for activated abilities, i.e. search for ":" but that doesn't work.

Works for me [v71.155]. Did you put the colon in quotes?

Go draft, young man, go draft!

The client was running last week, but now it hangs whenever I try to click on the collection tab.  My collection is reasonably large:  30-40k.   The program does nothing except the spinning wheel, then a failing to respond error when I click anything.  Even leaving it run for 10 minutes without interaction, and allowing an additional 5-10 minutes after clicking "wait for program to respond" has only worked once in 11 attempts. 

If you can't load the collection screen, you cannot load a deck, and you cannot play.  Pretty miserable.

Any suggestions?

I am running  build 3.4.71.266 over a base DSL connection:  1.5Mbps down, avg 400kbps up

Computer data:
Windows 7
AMD A6-350 APU
Radeon HD Graphics 2.1 Ghz.
8 GB RAM
64 K Windows 7

Virus prot:  Webroot SecureAnywhere & Sandboxie

PRJ - "one million words" on MTGO

I write the State of the Program series on PureMTGO.com, appearing every Friday.

The client was running last week, but now it hangs whenever I try to click on the collection tab.  My collection is reasonably large:  30-40k.   The program does nothing except the spinning wheel, then a failing to respond error when I click anything.  Even leaving it run for 10 minutes without interaction, and allowing an additional 5-10 minutes after clicking "wait for program to respond" has only worked once in 11 attempts. 

If you can't load the collection screen, you cannot load a deck, and you cannot play.  Pretty miserable.

Any suggestions?

I am running  build 3.4.71.266 over a base DSL connection:  1.5Mbps down, avg 400kbps up

Computer data:
Windows 7
AMD A6-350 APU
8 GB RAM
64 K Windows 7

bump.

I downloaded the newest version yesterday.   The problems continue.  The client now generally loads, but the collection screen is glacially slow.  This morning, I tried to add the spare cards from a recent draft to my trade binder using the new client.  I could have accomplished this in under 5 minutes in the old client, including powering on the computer and loading the program.   The new client was taking literally minutes to add individual cards to the active (trade) binder, after taking over 7 minutes to load my collection, then another 15+ minutes change to owned >4. 

I will continue to post videos of the new client in my articles, but it would be better for all of us if the client worked a bit better.        

PRJ - "one million words" on MTGO

I write the State of the Program series on PureMTGO.com, appearing every Friday.

Any suggestions?

Computer data:
Windows 7
AMD A6-350 APU
8 GB RAM
64 K Windows 7

bump.

I downloaded the newest version yesterday.   The problems continue.  The client now generally loads, but the collection screen is glacially slow.  This morning, I tried to add the spare cards from a recent draft to my trade binder using the new client.  I could have accomplished this in under 5 minutes in the old client, including powering on the computer and loading the program.   The new client was taking literally minutes to add individual cards to the active (trade) binder, after taking over 7 minutes to load my collection, then another 15+ minutes change to owned >4. 

I will continue to post videos of the new client in my articles, but it would be better for all of us if the client worked a bit better.        

IIRC, you and JMason are the only users who complain about extreme lag/slowness of Beta client. For me, it's fast and responsive, except recently when loading games list, which I contribute to Gatecrash testing and Beta game server slowing down. And my machine has less RAM than yours, with onboard graphics; i7 processor.

Naturally, if I'm right, this makes your feedback even more important.

The cards in the wish list have the yellow stripes indicating that you don't own them. I already know that I don't own them. If I did they wouldn't be in my wish list. It doesn't tell me anything I don't already know and it makes it hard to see what's in there. I'd like the option to turn off the stripes in the wish list.
Problem: Older versions of standard-legal cards don't show up in the "Standard"-format search.

THAT is EXTREMELY bad, because I have lots and tons of standard-legal cards from Magic 2011 and 2012, and deckbuilding in the current Magic 2013 standard is extremely tiresome because of that.

As of today (it was working fine yesterday), I can no longer see any cards in my Collection in the beta (v3.4.71.274) . There's no filters (I can't see those either). Apparently I have no cards and no other products, but everything shows up fine in the real client. Tried reinstalling, no luck. I can see cards in the trade window.

Edit: I also cannot add anything to my cart.

Here's what it looks like:

Kirjon, this is the exact same problem which I have in the new BETA downloaded on 31 Jan 2013.  

As of today (it was working fine yesterday), I can no longer see any cards in my Collection in the beta (v3.4.71.274) . There's no filters (I can't see those either). Apparently I have no cards and no other products, but everything shows up fine in the real client. Tried reinstalling, no luck. I can see cards in the trade window.

Same problem here
 Already reported this, no answer no help

---
UPDATE
Now its working :O on my laptop with windows 7 on win8 mashine still no cards in collection
I am a fan of the BETA overall, but even I must admit that I was stunned when I watched the BETA Q&A video a few days ago and heard this the reason why the trade binder is gone in the BETA is because it will require too many graphics to have the binder holes split down the middle of the screen!!!   To ensure I am not misquoting, you can watch the video here and scroll to 50 minutes.

WOTC Host:  "This is a question for either of you.  A lot of players are familiar with the current binder look in the Deck Collection scene, and they want to know if it will make a return in the new client."

WOTC Speaker:  "The 3-ring binder?"

WOTC Host:  "Right"

WOTC Speaker:  "We want players to have that kind of browsing experience, but I don't think that we'll ever put in the graphics to have the 3 rings running down the centre of the page.  That's space where you can have more cards visible".

Can this really be serious?  I am simply stunned.
I am a fan of the BETA overall, but even I must admit that I was stunned when I watched the BETA Q&A video a few days ago and heard this the reason why the trade binder is gone in the BETA is because it will require too many graphics to have the binder holes split down the middle of the screen!!!   To ensure I am not misquoting, you can watch the video here and scroll to 50 minutes.

WOTC Host:  "This is a question for either of you.  A lot of players are familiar with the current binder look in the Deck Collection scene, and they want to know if it will make a return in the new client."

WOTC Speaker:  "The 3-ring binder?"

WOTC Host:  "Right"

WOTC Speaker:  "We want players to have that kind of browsing experience, but I don't think that we'll ever put in the graphics to have the 3 rings running down the centre of the page.  That's space where you can have more cards visible".

Can this really be serious?  I am simply stunned.

That's not how I read that interaction. He specifically asked "The 3-ring binder?" and then mentioned they would not be wasting space with the graphics. That does NOT mean they won't enable a binder view similar to that of v3. It just won't have the 3 rings. How is that stunning?

Winter.Wolf

I've already posted on a separate thread (before this one existed).
I want to be able to make all my 400000 cards tradable. I don't want to split those into 8-9 parts and then trade all those separately. Obviously I can do it with V3 so I don't understand why they remove functionality with the new version. 
I can confirm the empty collection bug. In previous builds sometimes saw quite a delay before the "loading collection" progress bar appeared, but now it sometimes doesn't appear at all. Like a few other things this build, it seems to be an intermittent problem.

Maybe related - often the progress bar showing the loading of account settings takes a long time (minutes, then it gets stuck) to make any progress. The entire client sometimes locks up when this happens.
This is happening in the closed beta also, and seems to be random, probably not connected to the client version. After a week with no collection, it loaded for the first time yesterday, and has worked since.

After the latest update, everything was fine for a couple sessions, but now all of a sudden, my collection doesn't load anymore. I even tried deleting the client and reinstalling it. The problem persists.
This is happening in the closed beta also, and seems to be random, probably not connected to the client version. After a week with no collection, it loaded for the first time yesterday, and has worked since.

Is there is closed beta as well as the wide beta? Confused...

Is there is closed beta as well as the wide beta? Confused...

Yes. The closed beta is more beta-y (and right now, also has Gatecrash).

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Additional feedback for the Collection area.

Binder

I am another fan of the old binder look in v.3.  Please may you re-consider your decision to revert to this style, because I love turning pages of my binder. The BETA could make it even better and smoother (like the page actually turning in front of your eyes when you scroll to the next page).  In light of all the feedback you have received on this point, has the community managed to convince you yet?

Missing Cards in a Set

What I would love is to look at all the cards in a binder of a particular set, and see the missing cards clearly.  This is achievable in both V.3 and in BETA, I realize.   However I want to scroll through, page by page, and see all the cards which I don't own in that set, shown in a greyed-out colour so that I can try to collect the missing cards.

Yes, I know that one can do this in BETA by selecting the number count to zero, and browsing through, however it is not an enjoyable experience.

Thank you.
Additional feedback for the Collection area.

Binder

I am another fan of the old binder look in v.3.  Please may you re-consider your decision to revert to this style, because I love turning pages of my binder. The BETA could make it even better and smoother (like the page actually turning in front of your eyes when you scroll to the next page).  In light of all the feedback you have received on this point, has the community managed to convince you yet?

Missing Cards in a Set

What I would love is to look at all the cards in a binder of a particular set, and see the missing cards clearly.  This is achievable in both V.3 and in BETA, I realize.   However I want to scroll through, page by page, and see all the cards which I don't own in that set, shown in a greyed-out colour so that I can try to collect the missing cards.

Yes, I know that one can do this in BETA by selecting the number count to zero, and browsing through, however it is not an enjoyable experience.

Thank you.

I would add that I would like to be able to tell what I don't own and also what I don't have 4 ofs yet for a set.  Maybe have a binder with a range and some kind of gas gage control below each card on how close I am to my desired range.  Defaulted to 4 but maybe sometimes you just want 1 or 2 of each card.

Though personally arrows in game play and just having a binder view of colleciton would come before the gas gage controls.
Adding a feedback note here on superdax's behalf:

The expansions on Avacyn and RTR are ugly.. but very nice on the other ones and especially on the Gatecrash one (i'm using the new software) 

It might be nice to fix the size of the above 2 mentionned.. the other symbols are top notch.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

I still can't view my collection with today's update (v3.4.72.279).

My collection just started working all of a sudden. Have no idea how or why...
My collection just started working all of a sudden. Have no idea how or why...

My collection worked once, two days ago, and then stopped working again.
I bought my Guild Mark for the Gatecrash prerelease, went to collection, and now it's not working again. Grrrr....
I bought my Guild Mark for the Gatecrash prerelease, went to collection, and now it's not working again. Grrrr....

My collection is also still not showing in BETA (even after the latest download). 

This is a shame because it means that I will need to play the Gatecrash Pre-releases in the old monstrous client.
Exactly...the last thing I want to do is install the old client again...but it looks like I'm going to have no choice, unless by some miracle, it starts working again all of a sudden.
The biggest issues that I have are the following:

Format filtering (Standard-legal cards from older sets not showing up when you filter for Standard).
You cannot easily tell in one window how many of something you have as well as how many you have for trade.
If you try to add a card you don't have to a deck or wishlist it always defaults to the foil unless you tell it not to find foils.
You cannot tell a wishlist to look for all cards of a name rather than a specific set (shocklands being the big culprit right now).
The deck window still constantly reverts to pile view every time you switch decks.  The sideboard window seems to keep its setting.

Version 3.4.72.279
I reinstalled the beta in case the collection not loading was because of some file being in a bad state. The collection still doesn't load, and now the Play Lobby has lost all my decks. (It seems I could still play my decks because the client had a cached copy of them somewhere. But being unable to synchronise my collection means it cannot obtain that cache).

Please fix this, and push out a change. I have been using the beta exclusively for several months, and all the decks that I play were in there. Now I can't even export those decks for use in v3.

I noticed that in the (empty) Collection screen, the "Quantity" drop-down is unpopulated, while the other drop-downs (sort, view) have their normal controls inside. Maybe the code is failing somewhere in constructing the UI, and then skipping over the part that actually pulls the collection information down from the server.
If your collection is not loading, can you send screenshots, dxdiags, and any other information you might think is relevant.   You can either use the regular bug reporting system, or in this very specific instance, send them directly to me at chris.kiritz@wizards.com with the subject "Wide Beta Collection Problem".  This is currently our top priority, but are having a very difficult time recreating the issue in house and we would love as much information as we can get.   

Hopefully we can get this sorted our shortly.  Thanks.   
Chris
I would also add the following: Log into the beta client, make sure "Show All Versions" is NOT checked. Make sure quantity is set to 1-20+ Click on Sets, and filter by Promotional (doesn't only happen with promotional) And behold as cards you do not own are displayed with 0 quantity.

When "Show All Versions" is not checked, for some reason the beta client shows cards you do not have when you filter. 
When a trade ends, the the Classifieds and Active List sections are always shrunk to a small size no matter what the previous layout was. The layout should be remembered between trades.
When you are looking at a binder or the Wish List, there should be an option to close it like there is for decks.

When looking at a binder, deck, or the Wish List, the Sort button at the top of the panel does not let you sort by name or set & collection number. It should have the same options available as the right-click context menu.
When trading with bots, we often trade cards to them and take their tix, but currently we have only 2 options.  "Add All" their tix, or "Add 1" at a time.

Recommendation:  Please give us more options - like Add 4, add 10 etc. 

Thank you.
When trading with bots, we often trade cards to them and take their tix, but currently we have only 2 options.  "Add All" their tix, or "Add 1" at a time.

Recommendation:  Please give us more options - like Add 4, add 10 etc.

I'm pretty sure you can already do what you want. I sold some cards over the weekend and right-clicked on the tickets to bring up a menu for choosing 4, 10, etc.

I wanted to build a new deck this evening and gave up. Why? because the collection/deck building area is so annoying.

Every time I scrolled the page down to see new cards I had to wait 2-5 seconds for the cards to load. That really adds up with a big collection.
My main way of building casual decks is to find a random rare I own and build around it. When it takes this long to get half way though my collection I just give up.
Every time I applied a filter it would be another 10+ seconds for the filters to apply and reload the card images. Then another 10+ seconds when I changed or removed a filter. Then the 2-5 second waits when I start scrolling this filtered view.
This means that I'm being encouraged to only use cards I already know rather than use the search function to find cards that may be better for my particular deck.

This brings me to a suggestion. I know you at wotc have an irrational hatred of the collection binder.
However some system to break the collection into manageable sections, that don't all need loading at once and which when moved between had an obvious and expected break to allow a small load period, would almost certainly help.
I'm not asking for binder rings or turning pages. But some sort of page break, preferably split by block, would allow this.

As it is I can not browse my collection. Which makes me ask. Why have I even got these cards?

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

Maybe something like this:

www.elementalgame.com/spellbook

I know it's not really aplicable to magic since there are many more cards here but still looks nice to me