[Wide Beta] Feedback — Finding and Playing Games "[Retired]"

158 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please use this thread to post and discuss your feedback on finding and playing matches in the new MTGO wide beta client. This includes setting up and starting new open games, finding open games, and finding & entering events. Please keep the discussion focused ONLY on these topics regarding the Wide Beta.   

Please DO NOT POST BUGS in this thread. Instead please use the Customer Service bug report form.

Please DO NOT use these threads to make non-GUI requests/comments such as Leagues, automated trading, fractional tickets etc.

Feedback thread index
Finding and Playing Games
Collection, Deckbuilding, and Trading Cards
Store, Settings, and Miscellany

Retired feedback threads (closed 16 Jan)
[Retired] Finding and Playing Games 
[Retired] Collection, Deckbuilding, and Trading Cards
[Retired] Store, Settings, and Miscellany

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
We raise the following 14 items of BETA feedback based on the most recent version (v266), which is collected from our playgroup in the United Arab Emirates.

1.  Creatures in the Middle:  We love the way that creatures are centred, rather than to the left.  This is a great improvement in our opinion.  Well done!

2.  Appearance of Cards:  Well done on making the cards look like proper Magic cards!!  We say a thousand times to you "Thank you!!!"  We now feel like we are playing the Magic that we know and love, not an imitation.

3.  Creature Stacking:  We don't support the current stacking/piling of creatures.  The exception is where there are 4 or more creatures of the same type on the board, in which case we agree that they should be piled on top of each other.  The current system really detracts from the fun in our opinion.  For example, when we cast "Krenko's Command", we feel cheated that the 2 goblin tokens are stacked.   We want to see 2 creatures on the board, will you deny us that pleasure?  We do agree that a balance must be struck otherwise it will become unmanageable, hence our suggestion to stack 4 or more creatures of the same type (and with the same status) on the board. 

4.  Stacking of Lands:  We like the way that lands are stacked.  However why do we now not have the Option in Settings to have lands pile separately, like we had in V3?

5.  Dice:  We are sad that there are no DICE at the beginning of the battle.  Can this be brought back before the official launch?

6.  Arrows:  We can't wait to get our targeting ARROWS back!  

7.  Alarm:  We'd like an ALARM sound to play when a new tournament round starts.  The alarm should be a piercing alarm sound to get our attention.  Between rounds, whilst we wait for the next round to start, we like to do other things, not just sit at the screen.  Without the alarm, we feel like helpless 1/1 creatures with Vigilance, who need to be constantly watchful and vigilient!

8.  Pass the Turn:  We Arabs really want a shortcut key to indicate "Pass the Turn". (By this we mean: no spells, no attacks, no blocks, Done!).  We say in Arabic "خلاص" or "تفضّل" which means "Finished! Go!".  Currently when we press F6 (the so-called 'no possible plays' button), it still gives us a prompt to attack and block! At which point we roll our eyes and think "Why are you asking us this question? We already told you that we have passed the turn LOL!"

9.  Player History:  We would love to see the history of the opponent, in terms of how many previous matches played against this opponent, what formats and how many were won and lost.  This can either be achieved by showing it in the Chat area when we start a match, or before the match starts.

10.  Game History:  Edit: We are happy now with this feature.  Previous comments have been re-considered and retracted on this point.

11.  Attack All:  Can we please have a shortcut key or icon for "Attack All"?  Currently we must right-click and select it.

12.  Phases of the Turn (Voice):  We would love to hear a digitized female voice for all the phases of the game which we have selected to hold priority.  For example, if we have selected to place a pin on the 1st and 2nd main phases and EOT, then when those phases start we want to hear a voice "First Main Phase", "Second Main Phase", "End of Turn".  Of course, for those who do not wish to hear these sounds, they can be de-activated by an option in Account Settings.  The benefit of this is that it is immediately clear what phase the game is up to.  It avoids squinting.  It also will give the game a more professional feel.

13.  Passing Priority Delays:  We strongly recommend that where a player delays by 15 seconds in making a move, flashing should re-appear!! Preferably in red colour, but at very least via regular flashing.  The reason is that the game is too often stalled because a player doesn't realise that he has priority.  In our experience this problem can happen even occasionally to smart attentive players, not simply dumb fools!!  Even more seriously, there are times when a choice is required and it is shown in grey without any flashing at all.  The "Triumph of Cruelty" discard trigger is a good example, and "Desecration Demon" is another good example and there are many others like this.  Another good example when there are many cards which go on the stack together and a player must order them.

14.  Animations/Sound Effects:  We Arabs are a huge fan of simple animations and sound effects, to be selected/de-selected as an Option in the Account settings area.  We understand from the previous thread that this is not a priority and is less important than Leagues, but we really want our voice to be heard in 2014 after all your main priorities are resolved.  You will make so many people happy.  Pretty please?!!!  Tongue Out

Well done overall!! Good Job!!  We love the BETA!!
I need to second Dwarven Pony's recommendation that something needs to be done to prevent the needless repositioning of the floating chat window each time a new game is opened.

There are numerous ways this could be solved, but essentially, the only thing I am looking for as a user is for the application to remember my preferred layout. If I have to constantly move the window each time, it really gets annoying, in competition it causes extra seconds to click off my timer, and it wastes real life time for my opponent as well while he/she waits for me. 

Outside of this I really like almost everything you have done. I for one, even like the new multiplayer screen. It takes some clicking to see every card that is in every play zone, but I like that you can minimize zones and players to prioritize screen real-estate on the player or zone you are most interested in examining.
I have just upgraded my monitor form 1280x1024 to 1920x1080. The play area now actually works for me.
This is great for me, I no longer care about the chat taking up all the space on the right, and it now takes loads of permanents for the scrolling/resizing to take effect and I can leave the exiled zone revealed if I need to. I'm guessing this is the size you developed for.
However can you please go and buy some small monitors and see how cluttered it all feels at smaller sizes and make it work for the people using those.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

@riverrun - Remembering how you have set up your chat is coming, just not sure when it will make it to Wide Beta.

@timotheos - We do a lot of work and base a lot of decisions using a min res display (1024 x 768), and are aware of some of the challenges players can face.  We will continue to look at ways to improve layout for min res users.
I would like to add these to a list of feedback I have with the game area UI;

The table layout: Great it feels less cluttered and more cleaner, don't change this.

The exiled, revealed zone: I hate that I have to resize the screen everytime I enter a game so I can check if say my Delver of Secrets will transform or not, or to check how many counters I have on my suspended cards, please impliment a way that remembers that I like to see these zones, something like "show exiled, revealed cards zones" in the options menu.

No dice: I dislike the idea of no dice or showing of a randomniser in the game, please add it back in.

Please have arrows to show targets of spells and abilities or at the very least display the card above its target.

The stack: Please change it, it is awful having to scroll left and right to assign new targets for storm effects.

Minimize illegael targets when searching: What I mean is that the player only sees legal targets for a search effect for example Rampant Growth would only show basic lands in the pop up window but the deck would be fully shuffled on closing.

Don't change the look of the card as you have them looking like actual Magic cards kudos.

Graveyard: Please have it clickable or a pop up as it a royal pain in the behind to scroll through just to find that Think Twice you cast 5 turns ago. 

Also please for the love of jebesus seperate collection and deck building it is far too cluttered.

Please have arrows to show targets of spells and abilities or at the very least display the card above its target.

You might be interested in reading Dave Marsee's post HERE (which was a follow-up to a DailyMTG article he did HERE on the Wide Beta UI design, for those who haven't seen it), where he addresses the topic of targeting arrows. Suffice to say that solutions are being worked on.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Mise Mage, you make some great points.

Graveyard: Please have it clickable or a pop up as it a royal pain in the behind to scroll through just to find that Think Twice you cast 5 turns ago. 

Regarding the Graveyard, I actually like the BETA version now.  At first I found it too compressed, but I am now very used to it and have no problems at all casting Think Twice, seeing cards in Graveyards etc.  I would not like it as a pop-up.  If you do allow the Graveyard as a pop-up, can you please create an option to de-activate the popup in Account settings?

Additional Feedback about finding games:

1.  COMMUNITY ROOMS

I believe that the current Beta (and the previous client) feels more like an Excel spreadsheet rather than a real, live, breathing community of magic players.  This is an area of the client which could be done magnificently, but it falls far short in my opinion.

My suggestion is to have a Community Room for each format.  To elaborate, when I click on "Commander" for example, I would love to see a separate Pop-up, which I will then maximize to see a wonderful room of Avatar pictures (with players' names above each Avatar).  Perhaps for those hosting, the Avatar can appear as sitting on a chair at a card table (similar to the original version of MTG Online 10 years ago), however this is not so important and a simple icon will probably serve just fine.

The room can be divided into two main areas (perhaps half on top, half on bottom):

1. those players hosting a game (in which case the details of the criteria will be shown), and
2. those seeking to play but not hosting (as well as those watching games or simply browsing who would also appear in the same area).

A third area should be able to be activated by a click, to show those avatars who are in active games.  Since this third area is not nearly as important as the first two, I recommend it appear only on choice by a click.

The visuals of this comunity room should be awesome.  For example, when the "Commander" popup opens, there should be large text at the top of the Community Page which says "COMMANDER" on a beautiful banner similar in style to what we see at the top of MTG Daily.  

Some very basic special effects would be appreciated.  For example, When a player moves from one area to another (eg. a player hosting who now has accepted a match), then the avatar should disappear in a groovy way, such as quickly imploding.   In addition, there should be different music playing for each Community room, to give each a separate feel.

2.  CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

When a challange is accepted, we currently see the two Avatars (one above the other), and a timer count from 3 to zero.  Please, this could be done so much better.  If I were designing the BETA, I would have the Avatars facing opposite each other (left & right) with a large "VS" between the two (in nice graphics).   The Avatars would be much larger.  The atmosphere which this would create is that a fight is about to start.  Battle it out guys!!!  Preferably the Avatars would even look much better visually/art-wise.  For example, the Ernham Djinn should look like this, not like the tiny, poor art version that we currently have, which looks second-grade like someone doesn't give a damn about creating nice visuals.

Both these features would make the finding game experience so nice to experience.

Thank you.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Minimize illegael targets when searching: What I mean is that the player only sees legal targets for a search effect for example Rampant Growth would only show basic lands in the pop up window but the deck would be fully shuffled on closing.

I wish to see the whole deck when searching, especially if it's the opponent's deck. But legal targets should be at the visible end of the deck, like in v3.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

Some additional feedback concerning the Keyrunes in BETA client.

If I cast a Keyrune on Turn 3, then another Keyrune of the same type on a later turn (during Main Phase 1), the two Keyrunes stack together.  However I can't see which one is the one without summoning sickness and which one is the new one.  So if I wish to attack, I must simply guess and spend my mana to activate one of the Keyrunes as a creature, and then sometimes I can sadly discover that the one which I activated has summoning sickness! 

Therefore I recommend either that (a) the summoning sickness animation appears on the newly cast Keyrune (even before it is a creature), or (b) a note appears temporarily in the text box of the newly cast Keyrune which says "This card will have summoning sickness this turn if activated as a creature".

This same suggestion applies to all "man-lands" and all "man-artifacts" in all sets.

Thank you.
Some additional feedback concerning the Keyrunes in BETA client.

So you know for next time, the most recently played card is on top of the pile.

Those are still good suggestions, because it is easy to get them mixed up right now.
So you know for next time, the most recently played card is on top of the pile.

Thanks for the tip, I've been wondering which it was.
When the client crashes (which it does frequently) during game 2 of a match, it forgets sideboard changes for game 3.  
Additional Feedback regarding "Attack All" feature.

May we have a a shortcut key for the "Attack All" feature?   I find it clunky the way we must right-click and then press "Attack with all".

Thank you.
Can I recommend you create Icons for all the Shortcut keys?  This will help those who like using only the mouse.

(I realise that we can right-click and select commands, however I believe that icons would be a nice feature in addition, for those like me who like them). 
This is likely the 100th time I have requested this feature, but PLEASE add a short tone that plays whenever I get priority (or have to make a choice), and then allow a configuration of sound effects to be set up such that this is the only thing I hear during gameplay.

Anything that helps players to play quickly is a huge asset for the client.

This is how v1?/v2/v2.5 worked, but the feature was taken away in v3 and the beta.
Some additional feedback concerning the Keyrunes in BETA client.

If I cast a Keyrune on Turn 3, then another Keyrune of the same type on a later turn (during Main Phase 1), the two Keyrunes stack together.  However I can't see which one is the one without summoning sickness and which one is the new one.  So if I wish to attack, I must simply guess and spend my mana to activate one of the Keyrunes as a creature, and then sometimes I can sadly discover that the one which I activated has summoning sickness! 

Therefore I recommend either that (a) the summoning sickness animation appears on the newly cast Keyrune (even before it is a creature), or (b) a note appears temporarily in the text box of the newly cast Keyrune which says "This card will have summoning sickness this turn if activated as a creature".

This same suggestion applies to all "man-lands" and all "man-artifacts" in all sets.

Thank you.

The warning that a card will have summoning sickness is actually a gameplay hint, not a UI fix, and for that reason I would suggest a different solution. (The MTGO client should not give gameplay warnings for potentially stupid actions - if there is a trap that you can fall into in paper, then that should also exist in MTGO)

I suggest having all permanents have their name appear in a different color if they were put onto the battlefield during the current turn. Even the creatures with haste - the color does not actually indicate summoning sickness at all, only that it was put out this turn. Players need to recognise that haste overrides this. Also, the new client should not stack together non-land permanents where one entered the battlefield this turn and others did not.

When the client crashes (which it does frequently) during game 2 of a match, it forgets sideboard changes for game 3.  

I have not found that the BETA client crashes frequently.  It has never happened to me.

Additional Feedback:

Scheduled Maintenance:  When players try to login during Scheduled Maintenance, currently we simply receive the message "Unable to Login etc".  We don't know if this is because of scheduled maintenance or due to a problem with our account.  I realize now that this is displayed on the MTG Online home page, however I recommend it be shown on the main front page when one tries to login.

Instead, we should receive a message that there is scheduled maintenance with a timer showing when it will end.  In addition, I recommend you have an alternative  front page which has a sign stating "Scheduled Maintenance".
Some feedback on the latest version (downloaded 30 January 2013).

Attack & Block:  The "red zone" now zooms in and out strangely.  The creatures become much smaller during the attacks and blocks, and it has become more jerky.  It was perfect before 30 January 2013, I don't know why this change was made.
Feedback for Jan 30,2013 version:

The list of games on the Play tab is very slow to populate (and causes the client to be unresponsive while populating.) I have been consistently having problems with client responsiveness throughout the public beta, but this seems particularly bad. (Anyone else been running into this?)
Also seen the red zone behave strangely. What I'm seeing couldn't possibly be the intended behaviour - cards are changing size, and getting very jerky animation.

Can I request a fix for this outside of the normal release schedule - this bug really affects the entire experience adversely, and is likely to make many potential beta testers reconsider their efforts.

EDIT: it seems to be intermittent behaviour.
Employee & New Player Tournament Events:  The interface should be smarter by the following:

1.  The Employee events should only appear in the queue if you are an employee!!  The account should recognize this automatically!
2.  The New Player events should only appear if you have New Player Tickets available.

Simple and obvious really, and this couldn't be hard to program.
Dear Wizards Team,

May we ask you what are your current thoughts regarding automatic mana tapping, now that you have had a chance to consider various feedbacks.

On a separate note, can you at least make a very minor change, to recognize what is floating in the mana pool and drain that mana if it exactly fits the casting cost of the card you select.  For example, if I tap 2 mountains, and then select Rackdos Shred-Freak in my hand, please don't give me a popup "Would you like to cast Rakdos Shred Freek for RR, RB or BB?"  The client should see the mana floating and drain it automatically IF there is no additional mana in the mana pool (which is the norm).  Of course I understand if there is more than 3 mana floating and there is discretion available, but why does the popup appear when there is the exact mana floating?

Dear Wizards Team,

May we ask you what are your current thoughts regarding automatic mana tapping, now that you have had a chance to consider various feedbacks.

On a separate note, can you at least make a very minor change, to recognize what is floating in the mana pool and drain that mana if it exactly fits the casting cost of the card you select.  For example, if I tap 2 mountains, and then select Rackdos Shred-Freak in my hand, please don't give me a popup "Would you like to cast Rakdos Shred Freek for RR, RB or BB?"  The client should see the mana floating and drain it automatically IF there is no additional mana in the mana pool (which is the norm).  Of course I understand if there is more than 3 mana floating and there is discretion available, but why does the popup appear when there is the exact mana floating?

Why would you float mana?

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Hi Bubba, when I say "float mana", I simply mean "place into my mana pool".  So I want to cast a Rakdos Shred Freak.  I tap 2 mountains.  Then I click on Shred Freak in my hand.  Then it asks me "Do you want to cast with RR, RB or BB?"!!  
I think Bubba is saying that it's more normal to announce a spell then choose mana for it after.
I think he's ignoring a very good point that there may be legitate reasons for mana floating, e.g. if you just cast a Burning Tree Emissary.
I think Bubba is saying that it's more normal to announce a spell then choose mana for it after.
I think he's ignoring a very good point that there may be legitate reasons for mana floating, e.g. if you just cast a Burning Tree Emissary.

That is indeed what I was getting at. When there are legitimate reasons to float mana (e.g., before an Upheaval), you *need* to have the option of how to cast the spell.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Bubba, the word "floating" causing confusion.  I simply meant "If I tap 2 red mana to cast Rakdos Shred Freak, and then I select Rakdos Shred Freak in my hand, and there is NO other mana in the mana pool, then why do we receive the message "Do you want to cast this spell with RR, RB or BB?".  Simple.
Bubba, the word "floating" causing confusion.  I simply meant "If I tap 2 red mana to cast Rakdos Shred Freak, and then I select Rakdos Shred Freak in my hand, and there is NO other mana in the mana pool, then why do we receive the message "Do you want to cast this spell with RR, RB or BB?".  Simple.

Because there is a chance, even if it's a small one, that you don't want the game to automatically make that decision for you.

Maybe you have 2 mana left over from a seething song or something, and want to cast the shread freak for BB from the other 2 swamps you have in play, and then cast something that actually costs RR.

Not saying it's how it's going to be every time, but you can imagine how annoyed someone was because the game made a decision for them that lost them the game. 
WBurgess, this is not a possibility.  I said that I tap 2 mountains, and there are NO OTHER MANA in the pool, then I click on my Shred Freak in my hand.

I did not talk of a situation of having both RR and BB in the mana pool. 

I am only talking about where there is the exact mana in the pool. 
WBurgess, this is not a possibility.  I said that I tap 2 mountains, and there are NO OTHER MANA in the pool, then I click on my Shred Freak in my hand.

I didn't say there was other mana in your mana pool, you could have RR mana floating, that you did not want to spend on the spell you are casting. You could have untapped lands that you want to use to cast that spell, leaving the floating mana to use on another spell.

Allowing the program to make decisions for the player, however small, can be dangerous and potentially can lead to a player losing a game they should not have lost because the game made an incorrect assumption. The game is there to provide the rules engine only (be the judge as it were), not play the game for you. 

It doesn't matter what is in your mana pool. If you are casting a spell that has a mana cost, you are allowed to activate mana abilities and thus could be adding other mana to your pool to use to pay the spell.

601.2. ... Casting a spell follows the steps listed below, in order. ...
601.2a The player announces that he or she is casting the spell. ...
601.2b If the spell is modal the player announces the mode choice (see rule 700.2). ...
601.2c The player announces his or her choice of an appropriate player, object, or zone for each target the spell requires. ...
601.2d If the spell requires the player to divide or distribute an effect (such as damage or counters)
among one or more targets, the player announces the division. ...
601.2e The player determines the total cost of the spell. ...
601.2f If the total cost includes a mana payment, the player then has a chance to activate mana abilities (see rule 605, "Mana Abilities"). Mana abilities must be activated before costs are paid.
601.2g The player pays the total cost in any order. ...
601.2h Once the steps described in 601.2a–g are completed, the spell becomes cast. ...

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
The options "Attack with all creatures" and "Reset attacking creatures" should also be available when I right-click on a creature during the attack step. It feels more natural to right-click on a creature to tell all my creatures to do something. It feels awkward to have to right-click on an empty part of the battlefield.
How many other people have the bug in the BETA (31 Jan 2013 version) of not being able to see any of your cards in your deck, not being able to buy from Store, and not even being able to open a deck?  

The in-duel is fine, but these essential features are completely disabled.  Un-installing and re-installing has not helped.  I have posted a bug report via the form, but I'm interested to know who else has this fatal flaw with the 31 Jan 2013 version.

It doesn't matter what is in your mana pool. If you are casting a spell that has a mana cost, you are allowed to activate mana abilities and thus could be adding other mana to your pool to use to pay the spell.

601.2. ... Casting a spell follows the steps listed below, in order. ...
601.2a The player announces that he or she is casting the spell. ...
601.2b If the spell is modal the player announces the mode choice (see rule 700.2). ...
601.2c The player announces his or her choice of an appropriate player, object, or zone for each target the spell requires. ...
601.2d If the spell requires the player to divide or distribute an effect (such as damage or counters)
among one or more targets, the player announces the division. ...
601.2e The player determines the total cost of the spell. ...
601.2f If the total cost includes a mana payment, the player then has a chance to activate mana abilities (see rule 605, "Mana Abilities"). Mana abilities must be activated before costs are paid.
601.2g The player pays the total cost in any order. ...
601.2h Once the steps described in 601.2a–g are completed, the spell becomes cast. ...

Thank you Bubba, your explanation makes perfect sense, I understand it now.  

On a more fundamental point, may I ask what is Wizards thoughts about the feedback for "Automatic Mana Tapping" as many people have suggested.  Of course, it would only be:

1. as an OPTION for those who wish to activate it if they choose; and
2. it can easily be overridden by manual tapping simply if one taps the lands they want BEFORE they press on the spell they wish to cast.

This saves a lot of time, particularly with double lands.  I was surprised that this wasn't discussed or addressed in the recent hour long video clip (as far as I recall).

Yes I know that there is a significant segment of the community who would oppose this, but I say please give us the options and let us decide what suits us. 

I do not like the new declare blockers row. It makes the cards too small. I preferred the way it worked in the previous build. I liked when the creatures were reorganized as each blocked was declared and the cards remained the same size.
I do not like the new declare blockers row. It makes the cards too small. I preferred the way it worked in the previous build. I liked when the creatures were reorganized as each blocked was declared and the cards remained the same size.

I agree with you PirateAmmo.

When a player suspends a card, the side panel should open with the exiled cards area displayed. Currently, it just looks like the opponent tapped some mana and did nothing.

This saves a lot of time, particularly with double lands.  I was surprised that this wasn't discussed or addressed in the recent hour long video clip (as far as I recall).

Where was this video clip?
Sign In to post comments