how to build a high ad elementalist war-wizard

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ok well im having some trouble understanging the whole elementalist thing....its sounds stupid i know....

but my friend told me that when you get to level 10 you can choose if you want to define your wizard into a few more classes like necromancer or elementalist...is this true? if so how do you do it...if it isnt true then how do you become an elementalist...is it just the spells you pick?

p.s. i know this isnt the right place to put this...i think :/ and thanks for al replies! 
ok well im having some trouble understanging the whole elementalist thing....its sounds stupid i know....

but my friend told me that when you get to level 10 you can choose if you want to define your wizard into a few more classes like necromancer or elementalist...is this true? if so how do you do it...if it isnt true then how do you become an elementalist...is it just the spells you pick?

p.s. i know this isnt the right place to put this...i think :/ and thanks for al replies! 

People may be confused. Which edition are you playing? It sounds like 3.5, and it sounds like your friend is describing a Prestige Class.

The reason for the confusion, then, would be that you are posting in the wrong place. This is the 4th Edition Character DEvelopment section of the forums. You want the Previous Editions forums below.

If it is 4E, you have been grossly misinformed.

There is a class called the Elementalist, which is a subclass of Sorcerer. There is no way, aside from a complete retcon of your character, to take your Wizard and become an Elementalist. At level 11, you may select a Paragon Path, each of which will offer you some class features at level 11, 12, 16 and 20. None of the Wizard Paragon PAths that I see look like what your friend is describing (another reason why I suspect that your question is 3.5 related). For the most part, as a Wizard, you specialize in an element by taking powers with the appropriate keyword and then Feats to support that damage type. You can begin doing this as early as level 1.

yes it seems that i have been grossly misinformed aha....the guy told me this was a bit confused as well so yeah...aha and yeah i really like elemental magic..so i was reeeeally keen to get an awesome wizard elementalist

yes it seems that i have been grossly misinformed aha....the guy told me this was a bit confused as well so yeah...aha and yeah i really like elemental magic..so i was reeeeally keen to get an awesome wizard elementalist

Well, now we know it is 4E.

Which element did you want to specialize in? How far are you allowed to go in reimagining your character? How far are you willing to go?

You say War Wizard, which from the PHB1 suggests that you have taken Wand as your implement, and are Int / Dex. How married are you to the implement, and your primary / secondary stat pairing?

If the desired element is fire, then you can keep most of your concept and switch to a Pyromancer Mage (and going Int / Con). You lose Ritual Casting, get Magic Missle for free along with other class features that boost your Fire spells. If the DM won't let you change class, then there are a number of Feats that boost Fire.

If the DM is okay with a class and role change, then just go straight up into Elementalist, and pick your flavor of damage. This will also require you to pick entirely different stats, as Elementalists are Cha / Con.

What did you have in mind, and how far can you go? Answer those with specifics, and we can help you a lot better.
Read this
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

and this
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

then come back here for anymore insight. If you want to take this to the next level of number crunching goodness then post your build to char-op and wear a thick skin.
thanks for those links @ezrider23