Need help with Human/Soldier deck. I'm fairly new.

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi. I am fairly new to MTG, I stated playing on the xbox 2 months ago with magic 2013. Two weeks later I bought a deck builders tool kit along with some booster packs and went to my first friday night magic, I got utterly destroyed but I had fun. I now have over 1500 cards to build decks with. I have build many decks so far, most of which are not very good. The one I like the most that I think is half decent is my Human/Soldier deck. I would love some advice on how to make it better. The cards in my deck are below.

I also plan on getting 2 Angel of glory's rise

For a total of 65 cards.

I appreciate any help you can offer me, thank you.

P.S I could not figure out how to make the cards I listed show up as a link. Sorry.

Let's start with that part. To link an entire deck list, use the [deck] and [/deck] tags. Put the number of cards before the card name, without an "x" (the autocarding adds the "x" automagically).

If you are discussing a single card, for example in the body of a post, use the [c] and [/c] tags around the card name.

Looks like you figured it out while I was writing my response. Occasionally the brain-dead forum software converts spaces to the weird "&nbsp" token. Take those out from the deck list by deleting the non-breaking space and replace it with a normal one.
For a total of 65 cards.

Rule #1: With very few exceptions, always use 60 cards, no more, no less. This will maximize the probablity that you will draw your best cards.

Rule #2: Rule of Nine. Best explained here:

www.gatheringmagic.com/magic-the-classro...

Judging by the deck list and the questions you are asking, you may get better advice in the New and Returning Players forum.
For a total of 65 cards.

Rule #1: With very few exceptions, always use 60 cards, no more, no less. This will maximize the probablity that you will draw your best cards.

Rule #2: Rule of Nine. Best explained here:

www.gatheringmagic.com/magic-the-classro...

Judging by the deck list and the questions you are asking, you may get better advice in the New and Returning Players forum.

Thank you for your help, and the quick reply xD. Would it be okay to double post this in the new player sections or should I just delete it and repost it?

I have trouble cutting my decks down to 60, as I always feel I will need a certain card. 
Thank you for your help, and the quick reply xD. Would it be okay to double post this in the new player sections or should I just delete it and repost it?

There is a way of asking a moderator to move a thread, but I'm not sure how. With some luck it will just be moved. I don't think you can outright delete a thread once someone has responded to it.

I have trouble cutting my decks down to 60, as I always feel I will need a certain card.

Deciding which card to cut is one of the most difficult things in Magic. Often, play testing is the only way to learn which card works better. But here is the thing: Let's say you have a choice between Precinct Captain and Elite Inquisitor. It's very rare that the two cards you are chosing between are actually equally effective for your deck design. Over many games spread against many different types of decks, one of them will, on average, be better than the other. By running 65 cards so you can fit both choices, you actually reduce the chance of drawing the better card. In some cases, the choice is obvious (Rancor will be better than Giant Growth basically all the time). In other cases, it depends on what else you have in your deck. Maybe the best choice is actually another card entirely.

I just read the rule of 9, it was interesting and helped clarify some stuff. I believe I will be able to make a way better deck now.  Do you know of any cards that would be better for my deck type than what I have listed? I know very little cards outside of what I listed that would be of any help to me. 

All the information you have provided me with has been very helpful. Thanks a lot  
Do you know of any cards that would be better for my deck type than what I have listed?

There are tons of good white human cards. I have a blue/white deck design that uses a lot of human cards. While it's not exclusively a human deck and not a mono-white deck, you should find much of the discussion useful if you want to continue with these theme:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Note, however, that I eventually abandoned the idea of taking it to FNM as it was not competitive enough compared to the other decks I was testing. But right now it sounds like you're just trying to build a deck that works and wins some games, and it's definitely possible to do that.
Do you know of any cards that would be better for my deck type than what I have listed?

There are tons of good white human cards. I have a blue/white deck design that uses a lot of human cards. While it's not exclusively a human deck and not a mono-white deck, you should find much of the discussion useful if you want to continue with these theme:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Note, however, that I eventually abandoned the idea of taking it to FNM as it was not competitive enough compared to the other decks I was testing. But right now it sounds like you're just trying to build a deck that works and wins some games, and it's definitely possible to do that.

That thread is pretty helpful to me, thank you.

You are correct, I am just trying to build my deck to be able to stand a chance and win a few games. Once I become more experienced in magic I will actually build decks to win FNM.

Once again, thanks for the help. xD  

I remade the deck following the rule of 9 mostly. I think I may have too many things that cost too much mana for this deck to succeed. What do you think?

OR:
[deck]

Creatures
3 odric, master tactician
3 Captain of the Watch
2 Riders of Gavony
4 Attended Knight
1 Palisade Giant
2 Angel of Glory's Rise

Instants
3 Cloudshift
2 Rootborn Defenses
1 Safe Passage
Sorceries

4 Captain's Call
2 Gather the Townsfolk

Enchantments
3 Curse of Exhaustion
2 Bonds of Faith
3 Intangible Virtue
1 Oblivion Ring

24 Plains
[/deck]

I remade the deck following the rule of 9 mostly. I think I may have too many things that cost too much mana for this deck to succeed. What do you think?

Yes, your mana curve is unworkable. For creatures, you'd want something like 4-8 cards with CMC = 1 (converted mana cost), 6-10 with CMC = 2, 4-8 with CMC = 3, 4-6 with CMC = 4, and maybe 2-3 with CMC =5. You need something like 24-32 creatures total and 22, 23, or 24 lands (the lower your average CMC, the less the need for land).

Yes, your mana curve is unworkable. For creatures, you'd want something like 4-8 cards with CMC = 1 (converted mana cost), 6-10 with CMC = 2, 4-8 with CMC = 3, 4-6 with CMC = 4, and maybe 2-3 with CMC =5. You need something like 24-32 creatures total and 22, 23, or 24 lands (the lower your average CMC, the less the need for land).

I'm remaking the deck with your CMC guidelines. Is their any cards that make it so I can cast my spells for less mana?
Is their any cards that make it so I can cast my spells for less mana?

Not that would be useful for you. What you need are the best cheap (i.e. low CMC) aggressive creautures, plus a few slightly more expensive cards that add synergies, plus some utilty spells (Faith's Shield, Intangible Virtue, Oblivion Ring).

Start with Champion of the Parish: This is as close to a "must" in your build. Moorland Inquisitor has an activated ability that is much too expensive. Either of Precinct Captain or Elite Inquisitor will give you more value. Other than Champion of the Parish, your best one-mana drops are Doomed Traveler or War Falcon.

Cloudshift is only really good with creatures that have enter-the-battlefields (ETB) effects. If not, you are better off with Faith's Shield. Safe Passage is too expensive for what it does. You have better options.

Is their any cards that make it so I can cast my spells for less mana?

Not that would be useful for you. What you need are the best cheap (i.e. low CMC) aggressive creautures, plus a few slightly more expensive cards that add synergies, plus some utilty spells (Faith's Shield, Intangible Virtue, Oblivion Ring).

Start with Champion of the Parish: This is as close to a "must" in your build. Moorland Inquisitor has an activated ability that is much too expensive. Either of Precinct Captain or Elite Inquisitor will give you more value. Other than Champion of the Parish, your best one-mana drops are Doomed Traveler or War Falcon.

Cloudshift is only really good with creatures that have enter-the-battlefields (ETB) effects. If not, you are better off with Faith's Shield. Safe Passage is too expensive for what it does. You have better options.

Look at the last deck build I posted, I changed it more. I added alot of the stuff you reccommended and took some stuff out.  Cloudshift I decided to keep in. It will be valuable to add more tokens onto the field with my Captain of the Watch and Attended Knight. 

You have been extremely helpful to me, thanks.

Also. What do you think of the the Curse of Exhaustions? 
Cloudshift I decided to keep in. It will be valuable to add more tokens onto the field with my Captain of the Watch and Attended Knight.

True, but I'm not sold on 3x Cloudshift and 7x cards with ETB effects is strong enough of a synergy, especially when 3x of the ETB cards have CMC=6.

I'm a pretty mediocre deck builder, but I'm doing my best to help. In the grand scheme of tihngs, mono-white aggro is not very competitive, but you should at least be able to get something that is much better than the first list.

What do you think of the the Curse of Exhaustions? 

It has some value, but I think it would be a fairly marginal contributor to your deck and would only be useful against some deck designs, which argues against keeping it in. You have better cards to choose from. A more interesting choice might be Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, which you may want to run 3x of. However, this would require that you cut down the number of your own non-creature spells to the absolute minimum. Other spells to consider (human, but not soldiers) are Fiend Hunter and Riders of Gavony.

Edit: Consider Intrepid Hero as well.

Is this more workable?

I'd take Odric down to 2 unless he's a really big part of your deck. His Legendary status makes having multiples in hand pretty worthless.

You're mono white, so I highly suggest Angel of Jubilation. She's not a human, but most human decks have a few angels in them since they fit flavor wise and usually do well with humans. Another possible angel is Angelic Overseer which has direct synergy with humans.

I don't know your budget, but Silverblade Paladin is probably the best human in current standard if you can get some, but he's not very cheap. Elite Inquisitor is also a solid 2 drop for white. I'm also personally not big on Captain of the Watch due to the high CMC for a decent effect and small body. I guess that's up to you, though. I'd personally use Angelic Skirmisher over her when she comes out with Gatecrash.

Other mentions are Knight of Glory and Fencing Ace though I don't think the latter would be very useful in this deck as it lacks much pump.

Is this more workable?

I'd take Odric down to 2 unless he's a really big part of your deck. His Legendary status makes having multiples in hand pretty worthless.

You're mono white, so I highly suggest Angel of Jubilation. She's not a human, but most human decks have a few angels in them since they fit flavor wise and usually do well with humans. Another possible angel is Angelic Overseer which has direct synergy with humans.

I don't know your budget, but Silverblade Paladin is probably the best human in current standard if you can get some, but he's not very cheap. Elite Inquisitor is also a solid 2 drop for white. I'm also personally not big on Captain of the Watch due to the high CMC for a decent effect and small body. I guess that's up to you, though. I'd personally use Angelic Skirmisher over her when she comes out with Gatecrash.

Other mentions are Knight of Glory and Fencing Ace though I don't think the latter would be very useful in this deck as it lacks much pump.

I think what I will do is just turn this into a Human deck, rather than having it focus on Soldiers as well. It will make it much easier to build a better deck, I think. 

My budget is 0 right now, lol. But I do have a lot to trade, so I can get anything I need from people at my FNM. Would it be good to have both Angel of Jubilation and Angelic overseer in my deck? I plan on keeping Odric in there. Seems like a bit too much cards that cost 4 mana. Captain of the watch I will definitely cut. Silverblade paladin is way beyond my limit for now. I will definitely pick up some Elite Inquisitors though.

You say because of the Legendary status it's not useful to have multiples in my hand. I'm going to assume you can't have two of the came legendary on the field. I did not know that xD
Cloudshift I decided to keep in. It will be valuable to add more tokens onto the field with my Captain of the Watch and Attended Knight.

True, but I'm not sold on 3x Cloudshift and 7x cards with ETB effects is strong enough of a synergy, especially when 3x of the ETB cards have CMC=6.

I'm a pretty mediocre deck builder, but I'm doing my best to help. In the grand scheme of tihngs, mono-white aggro is not very competitive, but you should at least be able to get something that is much better than the first list.

What do you think of the the Curse of Exhaustions? 

It has some value, but I think it would be a fairly marginal contributor to your deck and would only be useful against some deck designs, which argues against keeping it in. You have better cards to choose from. A more interesting choice might be Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, which you may want to run 3x of. However, this would require that you cut down the number of your own non-creature spells to the absolute minimum. Other spells to consider (human, but not soldiers) are Fiend Hunter and Riders of Gavony.

Edit: Consider Intrepid Hero as well.

Well. Curse of Exhaustion would be very useful against most of the decks I play against at my FNM. Most of the people there are really good and some great decks, most of which need to cast more than on spell a turn to succeed.  

I am taking this deck down completely and remaking it as a Human deck. 
If a creature has a Legendary keyword, only one copy may be present on the battlefield.

I currently have 2 Angel of Jubilation, 2 Angelic Overseer and 2 Odric in my human deck (I plan to remove Odric for Silverblades). It doesn't come across as a big issue to me. It's 4 4cmc creatures and 2 5cmc creatures. In comparison, most Mono red decks run a similar spread of 4 Hellriders (4 cmc) and 2 Thundermaw Hellkites (5cmc) and those decks, I can atest to being very fast and survivable on a 2 mana base for several turns (though that isn't ideal).

Though I would say it depends on the rest of your deck. If you were going to go that route, I'd also remove the Captain's Call. It has a rather high cmc for it's ability and it's sorcery speed. Midnight Haunting gives you one less token for one less mana, is instant speed, and the tokens fly. However they are spirits so they really don't fit well in the deck.

You might also want to look at gatecrashes white spoilers since it's only a couple of weeks before release.

I have a thread with my human deck posted a few posts down the board. It's not perfect (far from it) but you might want to look at it since most of what I suggest here is just mimmicking what I did with my deck.

Edit: Oh, and if you're interested in going a more Token route, Thraben Doomsayer and Increasing Devotion might interest you.

And if a lot of decks you play against cast many non-creature spells multiple times a turn, I HIGHLY suggest Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. Once again, also kind of pricey but I wouldn't run more than 2 or 3 due to legend status.
If a creature has a Legendary keyword, only one copy may be present on the battlefield.

I currently have 2 Angel of Jubilation, 2 Angelic Overseer and 2 Odric in my human deck (I plan to remove Odric for Silverblades). It doesn't come across as a big issue to me. It's 4 4cmc creatures and 2 5cmc creatures. In comparison, most Mono red decks run a similar spread of 4 Hellriders (4 cmc) and 2 Thundermaw Hellkites (5cmc) and those decks, I can atest to being very fast and survivable on a 2 mana base for several turns (though that isn't ideal).

Though I would say it depends on the rest of your deck. If you were going to go that route, I'd also remove the Captain's Call. It has a rather high cmc for it's ability and it's sorcery speed. Midnight Haunting gives you one less token for one less mana, is instant speed, and the tokens fly. However they are spirits so they really don't fit well in the deck.

You might also want to look at gatecrashes white spoilers since it's only a couple of weeks before release.

I have a thread with my human deck posted a few posts down the board. It's not perfect (far from it) but you might want to look at it since most of what I suggest here is just mimmicking what I did with my deck.

Edit: Oh, and if you're interested in going a more Token route, Thraben Doomsayer and Increasing Devotion might interest you.

And if a lot of decks you play against cast many non-creature spells multiple times a turn, I HIGHLY suggest Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. Once again, also kind of pricey but I wouldn't run more than 2 or 3 due to legend status.

Rather than using Midnight Haunting I'm gonna use Gather The Townsfolk xD.
Since I am turning this into a Human deck, the Captain's Calls are definitely being cut. 

How does 2 Odric, Master Tactician, 2 Angel Of Jubilation, and 2 Riders Of Gavony sound?

I will defnitely give your Human deck a look. It will most likely help me. Thanks. 

I really like both of those cards, although Thalia I will most likely not add to my deck. I will test my deck a few times and see how it goes and if I need it. 

EDIT: What Instants do you reccomend for my deck? My card knowledge is pretty slim.

I'm still thinking you have too many non-creature spells and that your mana curve is a bit off. I count 20x creatures plus four sorceries that create creatures (not counting Rootborn Defenses), for 24 total (it's really useful if you can put the number of cards in each category in parentheses after each heading). I guess that's not bad. As a minimum, I'd like to see +1 Doomed Traveler. Also, what happened to Champion of the Parish. I would like to see +4 of him.

Silverblade Paladin is an excellent card, but you'll get different advice on how many to use. Some will say 4x and some will say 2x, because he is situational and subject to removal, so you often get one swing with the soulbonded creature, and that's it.
I'm still thinking you have too many non-creature spells and that your mana curve is a bit off. I count 20x creatures plus four sorceries that create creatures (not counting Rootborn Defenses), for 24 total (it's really useful if you can put the number of cards in each category in parentheses after each heading). I guess that's not bad. As a minimum, I'd like to see +1 Doomed Traveler. Also, what happened to Champion of the Parish. I would like to see +4 of him.

Silverblade Paladin is an excellent card, but you'll get different advice on how many to use. Some will say 4x and some will say 2x, because he is situational and subject to removal, so you often get one swing with the soulbonded creature, and that's it.

I would have loved to put some Champion of Parish in their as well as Silverblade, but they are way to expensive for me right now. I'm Thinking take out 1 Gather The Townsfolk and 1 Rootborn Defense, and maybe 1 land. I'm still deciding what I will replace them with. Any suggestions?
I would have loved to put some Champion of Parish in their as well as Silverblade, but they are way to expensive for me right now. I'm Thinking take out 1 Gather The Townsfolk and 1 Rootborn Defense, and maybe 1 land. I'm still deciding what I will replace them with. Any suggestions?

Well, budget is an issue, there is no way around that. Hopefully you can work your way towards those cards.

I'm not sure I'd take out a land: Your CMC is not that low. You can keep 2x Rootborn Defenses in the sideboard. The next card I would add more of if you can't do Silverblade Paladin or Champion of the Parish is Elite Inquisitor.

Well, budget is an issue, there is no way around that. Hopefully you can work your way towards those cards.

I'm not sure I'd take out a land: Your CMC is not that low. You can keep 2x Rootborn Defenses in the sideboard. The next card I would add more of if you can't do Silverblade Paladin or Champion of the Parish is Elite Inquisitor.

I just sat there for like 10 minutes trying to decide what I could take out of my deck... I could not take a damn thing out. I am stuck now. I think I will just try this build out tomorrow( My FNM is on Thursday) and see how it works out. 

I think having 2 Inquisitors in there for now is good enough. If I get my Riders Of Gavony out there all my humans ill have protection from what I choose anyway. Chances are they will have the same type of creature in their deck, and at the very least I can take protection from their good creatures.

If you can help me decide what would be good to take out, I kind of want to add some Faith's Shield to my deck. 
I just sat there for like 10 minutes trying to decide what I could take out of my deck... I could not take a damn thing out. I am stuck now.

Time to play test. Some times you just have to see how things work out in practice.

I think I will just try this build out tomorrow( My FNM is on Thursday) and see how it works out.

ThNM. Let us know how it goes.

I think having 2 Inquisitors in there for now is good enough. If I get my Riders Of Gavony out there all my humans ill have protection from what I choose anyway. Chances are they will have the same type of creature in their deck, and at the very least I can take protection from their good creatures.

Yes, but Riders of Gavony comes out much later and, more importantly, Elite Inquisitor is good not just because of the protection, but also because it has vigilance and first strike. It answers Rakdos Cackler, Rakdos Shred-Freak, Dryad Militant, and trades with Ash Zealot. Heck, it can stop a Geist of Saint Traft until there is a way to push through the G.o.S.T.

If you can help me decide what would be good to take out, I kind of want to add some Faith's Shield to my deck. 

Faith's Shield is a good card, but I don't know if it's the best card for a deck with a lot of cheap creatures and tokens (although you have some that are worth protecting).

Ok, it looks like your going the token route so i recomend taking out Intrepid Hero For Precinct Captain

This seems logical, but in practice I have never seen Precinct Captain produce a token. It obviously happens, but it's not straightforward to get through that damage.

This seems logical, but in practice I have never seen Precinct Captain produce a token. It obviously happens, but it's not straightforward to get through that damage.

I think it probably happens often enough. The first strike means he's not going to be blocked by anything less than an x/3 in most cases. 

"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong
he first strike means he's not going to be blocked by anything less than an x/3 in most cases.

Is that my T2 Loxodon Smiter you are referring to?
he first strike means he's not going to be blocked by anything less than an x/3 in most cases.

Is that my T2 Loxodon Smiter you are referring to?

That would certainly explain why you've never seen one produce a token. 

"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong

How does this look?

Ok, it looks like your going the token route so i recomend taking out Intrepid Hero For Precinct Captain

I think I will do that. I don't really need the Intrepid Hero in my deck. If I get my Odric out there I can take out almost anything I need to, as well as my Oblivion Rings.
Precinct captains token ability is more useful with green and a rancor on him or selesnya charm to give him trample.

I've tested a deck that basically revolved around him and Wayfaring Temple.

And outside of it's soldier ability, it's First strike isn't half bad. It's not as good as Elite Inquisitor, in my opinion, but it's got uses especially for a token deck. Also if going for tokens, Increasing Devotion.

I really feel like Champion of the Parish is something you really need to get in here ASAP, though. Though it's important to remember Precinct Captains tokens are not Humans.
Precinct captains token ability is more useful with green and a rancor on him or selesnya charm to give him trample.

I've tested a deck that basically revolved around him and Wayfaring Temple.

And outside of it's soldier ability, it's First strike isn't half bad. It's not as good as Elite Inquisitor, in my opinion, but it's got uses especially for a token deck. Also if going for tokens, Increasing Devotion.

I really feel like Champion of the Parish is something you really need to get in here ASAP, though. Though it's important to remember Precinct Captains tokens are not Humans.

Wow. I did not even notice that Precinct Captain gave Soldier Tokens rather than Humans... It's still useful though. They won't receive protection from my Riders of Gavony, but they will get all of the other buffs. 

I would put and increasing devotion in my deck, but I don't like how much it costs. I may end up adding to my deck sooner or later. And Champion of Parish is too expensive for me right now, but I would love to have them in my deck. I'm playtesting this tonight, so let's see how it works out.
Alright. I was not able to get most of the cards I needed last night and ended up playing with a really bad deck. I had to quickly put smoe random cards into my deck as the rounds were about to start... Here is what I ran with. Lol

And a few games I ran 2 Captain's Call

Let's just say I got destroyed... The only games I won were when my opponent was drawing bad. 
Alright. I just made another deck, mainly focusing on buffing up black and red Haste/Flying/Unblockable Creatures.

For a total of 60 cards. 16 Creatures and 20 others. Should I lower the amount of non creature cards in this deck?
Alright. I just made another deck, mainly focusing on buffing up black and red Haste/Flying/Unblockable Creatures.

You're being a bit of a chameleon. I think you should give the human deck a chance before you switch, but you do need the right cards, including Champion of Parish.

If you are switching to R/W, you should probably start a separate thread.

You're being a bit of a chameleon. I think you should give the human deck a chance before you switch, but you do need the right cards, including Champion of Parish.

If you are switching to R/W, you should probably start a separate thread.

I'm not giving up on the White deck, I just can't go any further with it until I get the cards I need to test it. I will definitely get some Champion of Parish for my deck sooner or later, most likely later. I am going to do the Pre-Release next week and that is going to cost me 30 bucks xD

The Rakdos deck is just a side project until then. I do enjoy building decks, it's time consuming and fun for me. xD

I will start a seperate thread though.
The Rakdos deck is just a side project until then. I do enjoy building decks, it's time consuming and fun for me. xD

I will start a seperate thread though.

Sounds like a plan. See you in your Rakdos thread!

Sign In to post comments