is it just me?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't know about anybody else, but I always include the foil version over the normal version of a card (if there are multiples in the deck, but I don't want to include all of them; e.g. there are four serra ascendants but I only run three, one being the foil version).

I do this, not because I think they look cool/pretty/whatever, but in an attempt to throw my opponent (note: this requires a cognisant opponent). By doing this, my opponent may think I have extra copies of a card in my deck, or at the very least, they can't be sure that I don't have extra copies. Therefore, if they have removed a big threat (e.g. baneslayer angel) and I don't have any more copies of that threat in my deck, my opponent may still let smaller threats through assuming an extra copy of the bigger threat could appear at any moment (little do they know, it will never appear).

I also do something similar with my lands when playing; when I can without disturbing my plays, I won't make it clear to my opponent which deck I'm using until the latest possible moment. For the same reason I have structured my fetch lands in MM with a similar purpose in mind -- I run one less evolving wilds instead of one less terramorphic expanse (because I choose to run 5, not all 6 fetch lands, in my build) to minimise the chance of having to place one of each on the battlefield and spill the beans on the deck I'm using.

Yes, these are just little things, and I could probably increase my odds of winning much more if I just invested in trying to make optimum plays while I'm actually in a game, but I prefer to take it easy in-game by optimising my deck for best performance first.

So does anybody else do something like this?
I don't know about anybody else, but I always include the foil version over the normal version of a card (if there are multiples in the deck, but I don't want to include all of them; e.g. there are four serra ascendants but I only run three, one being the foil version).

I do this, not because I think they look cool/pretty/whatever, but in an attempt to throw my opponent (note: this requires a cognisant opponent). By doing this, my opponent may think I have extra copies of a card in my deck, or at the very least, they can't be sure that I don't have extra copies. Therefore, if they have removed a big threat (e.g. baneslayer angel) and I don't have any more copies of that threat in my deck, my opponent may still let smaller threats through assuming an extra copy of the bigger threat could appear at any moment (little do they know, it will never appear).

I also do something similar with my lands when playing; when I can without disturbing my plays, I won't make it clear to my opponent which deck I'm using until the latest possible moment. For the same reason I have structured my fetch lands in MM with a similar purpose in mind -- I run one less evolving wilds instead of one less terramorphic expanse (because I choose to run 5, not all 6 fetch lands, in my build) to minimise the chance of having to place one of each on the battlefield and spill the beans on the deck I'm using.

Yes, these are just little things, and I could probably increase my odds of winning much more if I just invested in trying to make optimum plays while I'm actually in a game, but I prefer to take it easy in-game by optimising my deck for best performance first.

In what world would you or anyone else only run one copy of Baneslayer Angel?

I think you're overthinking this. 
As soon as I read the thread title before I even clicked on it, I was thinking "Yes...it is just you" lol...
snip

Thanks for the constructive input. It was an EXAMPLE.

My query wasn't about what you thought of my behaviour, but whether or not you do the same or similar.
As soon as I read the thread title before I even clicked on it, I was thinking "Yes...it is just you" lol...

aww classic! That's hilarious!
snip

Thanks for the constructive input. It was an EXAMPLE.

My query wasn't about what you thought of my behaviour, but whether or not you do the same or similar.

The point is - if you're only going to run one copy of a threat of that level while under the impression that the foil version will create mind games for your opponent, then you're overthinking it.  Most won't notice and those that do won't care, unless they have some reason to think that you've actually drawn the other card as opposed to it being one of the 40 possibilities left in your deck.

But I was flippant, and I apologize. 
I pick the foil versions on purpose, but only because I think they look cool.
I consider myself to be a reasonably good player, and I have never...not once, thought that my opponent had any sort of meta-game going on with foil/non-foil plays (if even I notice if a card is foil or not, which more often than not, I don't). I think that this stretches the bounds of finding small edges in a game. But I guess if it is no more effort on your part to do so, then maybe it might be infinitesimally worth it...
I consider myself to be a reasonably good player, and I have never...not once, thought that my opponent had any sort of meta-game going on with foil/non-foil plays (if even I notice if a card is foil or not, which more often than not, I don't). I think that this stretches the bounds of finding small edges in a game. But I guess if it is no more effort on your part to do so, then maybe it might be infinitesimally worth it...

I agree. The example I gave with the foil is literally one game in a thousand.

Even then I only noticed because the original body double copied a foil card (Obliterator) and as the double was non-foil, so was the copy. I was commenting on how much better the art looked now you could distinguish the colours. My partner missed it, so I told him to look out for it, only for it to come down as foil next turn, which told me it was a different card.

9999/1000 times it doesn't matter.

Land bluffing is a different story though. Like I say, bluffing a mana leak in a deck that doesn't have one is a great play if you have nothing of importance to play on turn 1 or 2. In that case why not put down a second island instead of a swamp/plains/forest? Obviously in quicker formats like 1v1 it's probably not wise, but in 2HG it works quite often.

Wow, thats like...999.9% of the time!
Speaking of foils; one time, I had this Foil Promo Jaya Ballard, Task Mage that came inside a blister pack that also included 3 Booster packs.  It was basically a free card that came in every blister pack at that time.  I traded that card for a foil Loxodon Warhammer from core set X.  Total swindle.  Then I took that warhammer and traded it for a Korlash, Heir to Blackblade because I really needed that 4th one for my Teferi deck and didn't care about the worth of the Warhammer because all I wanted was Korlash in the first place.  One of the guys at the FNM I attended back then had told me the week before that he'd only trade his extra Korlash for the warhammer because he was looking to finish his "Blinged out" deck. 

LOL foils

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I honestly never even notice if someone drops a foil card.
That's pretty subtle, but sometimes small things like this make a big difference in your opponent's mind. There are lots of tiny ways to influence your opponent's perception of the game without saying a single word. Like Steve said, playing land is a good way to decieve an opponent into thinking you're using a mono-colored deck instead of a two-color deck, and playing only Islands on your first couple turns might bluff your opponent into believing you have a Mana Leak prepared. If you've got nothing in your hand to play on turn 2 anyway, this comes as no disadvantage to you while limiting the amount of knowledge your opponent has. On turn three if you play a Plains, your opponent may need to rethink his/her strategy - "oh wait, that's Aura Servants and not Crosswinds!"

In paper Magic there are even more ways to mislead your opponent. For instance, THIS video from the 2007 Worlds Finals shows recent Hall of Fame inductee Patrick Chapin using "the pen trick" against Uri Peleg. It's hard to catch, but as Uri declares he'll be attacking Chapin supposedly reaches toward his pen, suggesting that he'll be losing life in a moment and will have to write it down on his scoresheet. Chapin had no blockers on the board, so Uri swings in with all his creatures (which, if he were less sure of dealing damage, he wouldn't have done). Chapin had a Bogardan Hellkite and was able to nullify all Uri's attackers.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Sticks in my craw when playing 2hg with a partner playing CW and he plays a Fog Bank and there isn't a creature on the board.
When I'm in that position I always bluff the Mana Leak.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

I love when playing anything with blue. I'll play blue lands if it's not disadvantageous, and once I have two out, I'll pause on his first creature, just for a second. It's sadly bought me time, which can be super helpful with the Dimir pile.