[GTC-ICD] Orzhov Charm

95 posts / 0 new
Last post

Choose One: Return target creature you control and all auras attached to it to the hand of its respective owners; or destroy target creature and you lose life equal to that creature's toughness; or return target creature with CMC 1 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Source: MTG Salvation    
I've seen better that's for sure.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

I doubt Orzhov needs to worry about life with Extort running around, so the straight-up Murder ability is pretty awesome for 2 CMC.

CURRENT EDH DECKS: Sek'kuar | Kraj | Teysa | Wort | Purphoros | Varolz | Reaper King | Rakdos | Isperia | Ultimus | Iroas | Macar | Roon | Marath | Kruphix | Karametra | Marchesa

This is the charm artwork I like the least.

Without the removal ability, this would be completely ignored.

I kind of don't like the 1st ability. If my opponents has any auras stuck to my creature, I don't want them getting them back. 
Sexy.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
second ability is clearly the best one...
there haven't been any auras from orzhov so far so i don't know what to think of the first ability yet. 
third is underwhelming, though reanimating a chump-blocking doomed traveler sounds nice
I doubt Orzhov needs to worry about life with Extort running around, so the straight-up Murder ability is pretty awesome for 2 CMC.

Extort is slow. The orzhov control stratedy only works if you avoid taking huge amounts of damage early. So it will often be a big deal. Especally gien the creatures you'll want to get rid of.
MTGS is translating as only returning your own Auras, not your opponent's. Any confirmation either way?
second ability is clearly the best one...
there haven't been any auras from orzhov so far so i don't know what to think of the first ability yet. 
third is underwhelming, though reanimating a chump-blocking doomed traveler sounds nice

I think it'll be up to Gatecrash and the next set because I can't think of any problematic 1 drops in black or white.
MTGS is translating as only returning your own Auras, not your opponent's. Any confirmation either way?

OMG, I just read the text on the card shown and you're right. Only you get your auras back.
perhaps the first ability could make ethereal armor actually playable

It is playable in Bant-Auras, though i might try and splash black for this charm.
I could see this being useful in junk decks. Being able to fetch back a Deathrite Shaman from the gy is pretty sweet. And being that most of the junk decks run Thragtusk and Centaur Healer, the insta-kill for a toughness bite would'nt horridly set you back being that most other standard playable creatures dont have more than 5 toughness.
Borzhov aggro; get back a Vexing Devil, kill a blocker, occasionally "counter" a removal spell.
Making you lose the life is a really clever twist on white removal.
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
That is... random.
Orzhov Charm feels like three half-decent abilities all stapled into one charm. I mean, where's the Aura work in the spoiled Orzhov cards so far?
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Making you lose the life is a really clever twist on white removal.

You're actually thinking of Vendetta.

I guess you're not aware that the top 2 decks from the most recent GP both have a playset of that card?
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
Didn't call a single part of this. Why the first ability? It's Unsummon or Simic Charm, but nonblue. Don't like it.

It's the other two abilities that will make this one of the best charms.
This is deifnitely nifty, it'll have to be seen how useful the first ability will be in either limited on constructed but when Dragon's Maze comes out I could see it being nice with Knightly Valor. Vendetta is especially good for Orzhov since they will definitely be able to cover the life loss. Third ability really depends on what else we get at 1 cmc for white and black.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

it's also time to rank the charms
1. boros
2. izzet
3. selesnya 
4. azorius
5. dimir
6. golgari
7. simic
8. orzhov
9. gruul
10. rakdos
IMHO  

I would run four of these in an Orz deck for the second ability alone. You can kill ANYTHING for 2 with the only downside being to lose life (which thanks to the mechanic you should have plenty of it). I am fine with this.

The other two abilities are meh but the second ability makes up for it.

it's also time to rank the charms
1. boros
2. izzet
3. selesnya 
4. azorius
5. dimir
6. golgari
7. simic
8. orzhov
9. gruul
10. rakdos
IMHO  

1. Orzhov
2. Azorius
3. Selesnya
4. Izzet
5. Boros
6. Dimir
7. Golgari
8. Rakdos
9. Gruul
10. Simic

imho.  Really impressed with this one.  Really like the ability to return Champion of the Parish to play et my opponent's eot.  Really like being able to eat their evasive creatures too. 
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
There's no way Simic is the worst charm. 
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
1. Selesnya
2. Azorius
3. Izzet
4. Orzhov
5. Boros
6. Golgari
7. Simic
8. Dimir
9. Rakdos
10. Gruul

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

1  azorius
2-6 other non-black ones
7 orzhov
8-10 other black ones    
Particularly fun to hold onto if you have Soul Ransom in hand. 

So you just discard two to get it back... eh... nope.  I also get the Ransom back.  And two cards.  Fun stuff.

Save your bomb or kill theirs?  GILBIC.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
1. Selesnya 
2. Azorius
3.Orzhov
4. Izzet 
5. Boros
6. Golgari
7. Simic
8. Dimir
9. Rakdos
10. Gruul            
It's weird. You know what card this plays really well with?

Death's Shadow!
Particularly fun to hold onto if you have Soul Ransom in hand. 

So you just discard two to get it back... eh... nope.  I also get the Ransom back.  And two cards.  Fun stuff.

You won't draw the two, since the ability won't resolve. Still, they would discard 2 for no gain.
There's no way Simic is the worst charm. 

I disagree.  Mizzium Skin was unplayable, even in Limited.  Cyclonic Rift is remarkably more playable than this, and only sees fringe play because of its cmc.  And Giant Growth isn't necessary at 2cmc, either.  I think it's the least playable charm from the cycle, honestly.  

My list is mainly grouped into 1-4, 5, then 6-10.  1-4 will all see lots of play, or already have.  Boros Charm I'm on the fence about; I think it might see a lot of play at first until people realize it just isn't as useful as it seemed.  I put Golgari Charm at the top of the unplayable Charms because it at least has a Cower in Fear effect, which is really good if you're already playing GB.  

Also, Rorix has a very similar ordering to mine.  I approve of this, since he has one of the opinions on here I agree with most. 
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Wow, I really like this one.  The second two abilities are very powerful effects, with interesting drawbacks/twists.  Sure they're pretty significant drawbacks, but who would've thought we'd see 'destroy target creature' and 'put target creature from the graveyard to the battlefield' for two mana, on the same card. 
Wow, I really like this one.  The second two abilities are very powerful effects, with interesting drawbacks/twists.  Sure they're pretty significant drawbacks, but who would've thought we'd see 'destroy target creature' and 'put target creature from the graveyard to the battlefield' for two mana, on the same card. 

Not quite a Swords ability, but realistically, that card will never be reprinted in standard.  I absolutely love that ability on this card.  The third ability is useful, if nothing else, to keep up the board state.  I wouldn't mind bringing back a Wingcrafter unexpectedly to fly over my oppoennt's blockers for the win.  
Wow, that first ability is just something you don't see in . Makes me want to play it with Geralf's Messenger for real. Splash white for this and Resto Angel?
If Gatecrash has Deviant Glee/Ethereal Armor type cheep auras this can hedge the card disadvantage and allow you to re-extort with them.
Well, so far, we can only get back Boros Recruit and Thrull Parasite in limited; I bet we'll have more targets in colors.  Out of colors there's Cloudfin Raptor in blue, Experiment One in green, and the 1/1 haste goblin in red.  Hopefully, we'll have other targets, or this will be a "choice two" in limited.

Constructed has a great target in Deathrite Shaman.  Durdle with Doomed Traveller as someone already mentioned.  Esper Delver of Secrets?  Nah.

The second ability is what I'm excited about.
I'm........really not that impressed.

Did people actually play Vendetta?  Because I'm not finding any decklists containing it.  I actually don't remember the card despite it being printed more than once, which is usually an indication that it was mostly a Limited card.

Bounce your own creature is...ok as an option, the same way you sometimes unsummon your own creatures, but this won't be the main attraction of the card.

As for the reanimation...did people even play Unearth?  I mean, I'm not saying this would never get played in the right deck; if Martyr of Sands was still a deck in standard, this might go into a martyr deck.  But it's just soooooo narrow; what 1 drop is worth returning right now (instead of just packing redundant 1 drops?).

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

very very impressive. might be one of the best charm yet.

Did people actually play Vendetta?  Because I'm not finding any decklists containing it.  I actually don't remember the card despite it being printed more than once, which is usually an indication that it was mostly a Limited card.

Bounce your own creature is...ok as an option, the same way you sometimes unsummon your own creatures, but this won't be the main attraction of the card.

As for the reanimation...did people even play Unearth?  I mean, I'm not saying this would never get played in the right deck; if Martyr of Sands was still a deck in standard, this might go into a martyr deck.  But it's just soooooo narrow; what 1 drop is worth returning right now (instead of just packing redundant 1 drops?).

You've got a lot of good points, as normal.  However black removal in standard wasn't as bad as it is right now previously when Vendetta was legal.  A Doom Blade or even Terror would be so welcome right now.  The only 1 drop I could think of was deathrite....

Well, first of all when you look at it line by line like you're doing and ask "Did people even play ... ?" You are doing all of the charms an injustice. Its the flexibilty that makes them playable. They most likely wont do any one thing better than an existing card at that mana cost.

Second, with the options we have in standard, Vendetta would be played right now.

Third, my order for the charms (standard):

1. Azorius
2. Boros
3. Orzhov
4. Dimir
5. Selesnya            
6. Gruul
7. Izzet
8. Simic
9. Golgari
10. Rakdos