Paladin/Scout gestalt Dimensional Jaunt question...

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all, I'm playing a Paladin/Scout gestalt character in a game we're just starting (currently at 3rd level), and I'm progressing him out to make sure I have a clear direction on what FEAT choices to make. I'm thinking it would be interesting to take the Dimensional Jaunt reserve feat at 15th level, and keep the "Doorway to Evil" spell from Ghostwalk as my reserve spell.  This would give me a 20' movement that could activate my skirmish extra damage & AC, my only problem is that it's a standard action.  Is there anyway to make these short jaunts swift?
Elocator PrC from the XPH (and maybe SRD).
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
I'm not sure how elocator would help. It doesn't look to have any abilities that allow teleportation any faster than a Standard Action or 1/day as part of a Spring Attack.

There is no Quicken Supernatural Ability feat, which it what you would need since the powers granted by Reserve Feats are (Su). Even if there was such a feat it would only be usable 1/day or 3/day.

Obviously you're not playing a Psion/Scout Gestalt, but if you were Complete Psionic has a great power called Inconstant Location, which would be just the thing you're looking for.

INCONSTANT LOCATION
Psychoportation (Teleportation)
Level: Chaos 6, psion/wilder 6, psychic warrior 6
Display: Visual Manifesting
Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 minute
Power Points: 11
Your frame seems to shimmer, its outline vaguely blurred as you disappear and reappear around the battlefield.

You teleport yourself around the battlefield, making it hard for your enemies to pin you down. At the beginning of each of your turns, as a swift action, you can teleport yourself to any other space to which you have line of sight, as long as that space is no farther than you could move in one normal move action. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn't exceed your maximum load. This transport is instantaneous and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Once you teleport, you can take your actions for the round normally. You do not have to adjust your location each round, but the duration counts down just the same. Augment: For every additional power point you spend, the duration of this power is extended by 1 round.
I'm going to note that there is a big difference between moving 10' (or more) and being moved 10'.  

To put that another way teleporting does not trigger Skirmish.  When you teleport you are moved so far which is technically not the same as moving so far even if you end up in the same place either way.

Tome of Battle saves the day, yet again. Use Shadow Hand, or more specifically in this case, the gloves of Shadow Hand can give you maneuvers, though I must recommend a dip in swordsage1. Earlier, superior, extraordinary teleports are awesome.

Or of course you could get that horribly-balanced cloak of immediate action teleports from Drow of the Underdark. Or the Anklets of Translocation. Or Boots of Springing and Striding. Actualy, I suggest reading through the entire MiC. Tactical teleportation is cheap and easy. 
Well, actually I recommend trying to convince your DM to let you rebuild as a Cleric/Swordsage//Crusader/RKV, but as that seems unlikely, I'll stick with dips.
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth

You could take the travel devotion feat from Complete Champion to gain the ability to move with a swift action, but it has some limitations. Also, it would be problematic if you've already devoted yourself to a god that isn't associated with travel.

Oriental Adventures lists a use of the tumble skill that lets you move 10 feet with a “5-foot step,” but the DC is 40.

Tome of Battle has a stance (press the advantage, p93) that gives you two 5-foot steps per round, but you'd have to be 18th level to get it unless you take levels in one of the classes from that book. Going paladin 4 / crusader 8 on one side would get you the stance at 12th level. Crusader is essentially just paladin with a different implementation, and I'm not a fan of any of the abilities paladin gives after 4th level, so that'd work out pretty well.

Ah, Draco must have been talking about the double 5' step feature that the Elocator gets at 7th level.

StevenO is probably right about having to move under your own power in order to activate Skirmish. The CA Errata specifies that you can't even use the ability while mounted, which certainly doesn't support your Paladin/Scout build.

"The second sentence of the skirmish class feature should read as follows (new text indicated in red): She deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she makes during any round in which she moves at least 10 feet away from where she was at the start of her turn. The extra damage applies only to attacks made after the scout has moved at least 10 feet. The skirmish ability cannot be used while mounted."

It seems they were trying to make it as difficult as possible to use Skirmish in conjunction with a Full Attack Action?

Giants in the Playground has a thread discussing the issue of Skirmishing and Teleportation. People's opinions seemed split down the middle. It probably comes down to your DM's judgement.

I'd probably allow the FIRST attack made from a moving mount to include Skirmish damage but that is being generous.  Mounted Melee really isn't a problem as you normally get just one attack after moving far enough with Skirmish but with mounted archery which lets you get a full attack in while the mount moves that is just a little crazy.

Thematically I believe the skirmish bonus comes from observing what happens as you move around (which is why I think mounted combat should see some benefit from it) but instantaneous transport doesn't allow for that.  You don't "move" from point A to point B with teleportation effects you just are at point A and then you are at point B.