Class suggestion

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, we are starting a new adventure at lvl 6. Our party is a Shadow assassin , rogue, bard. The general theme is a stealthy commando unit. What suggestions do people have for our fourth player. 
a monk or avenger would fit the theme and they're durable enough and attention-grabbing enough to possibly make up for no defender

no defender has stealth as a class skill but a background could sort it out
a monk or avenger would fit the theme and they're durable enough and attention-grabbing enough to possibly make up for no defender

no defender has stealth as a class skill but a background could sort it out

A swordmage wouldn't have armor to worry about. And it would be cool for one to stash their blade somewhere and seem unarmed, and then swordbond it into their hand when things went south.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

you could also go for a STR / DEX Garrote using grappling fighter.  Dex would provide a decently high amount of stealth which can be further enhanced by other means (items, feats, etc) and would play within the stealthy commando unit.  He could also be the defender of the party with mass marking support of fighter utilities.  MC monk for hitting with d12's via a few choice feats since you now have access to monk's unarmed strike.  I can post a build example if you want. 
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Ranger, maybe?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Defender or Psuedo defender.

Ranger|Cleric - Psuedo defender, can have decent stealth (and its a class skill).

Fighter|Ranger - Same

Str/Dex Fighter - Actually a defender

Swordmage of any type + Stealth via background

Warden of any type + Stealth via background

Most Annoying Rogue Ever - Defender-esque 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
A swordmage wouldn't have armor to worry about. And it would be cool for one to stash their blade somewhere and seem unarmed, and then swordbond it into their hand when things went south.

I agree with this logic.

Swordmage have some pretty cool abilities that could work well with the group.  If isn't cunning bard the Swordmage with Int as its primary could select Int-based skills the could be invaluable to the team.  As already stated you could select a background that allows stealth as a class here are a few that give that as well as a bonus. Also a Swordmage and their abilities could work very well with this type of party.

• Silent Hunter - Steath & Perception class skills, +1 to Stealth & Perception

• Fugitive from a Vengful Rival - Bluff & Stealth class skills, +1 to Bluff and Perception

• Assassin - Arcana & Stleath class skills, +1 to Arcana & Stealth

• Luskan - Stealth & Thevery class skills, +1 to Stealth & Thevery

Even if you only have a 12 in Dex, at level six as a trained skill if you select one of these you are looking at Stealth of 10 base not including any gear you get to help with that.

If you need a defender in light armor you can go with a berserker.  Go with the arid desert option and you can have a fairly high AC in cloth (17 is easily doable, then you get an extra +2 when you activate your aura) with a 2 handed weapon.  Dex is secondary, so you can still have a decent stealth without training.  And you can always multiclass or choose a background that gives you stealth.  That's how I'd go.  Especially since bersekers are a fun class and dish out excellent damage for a defender.  And you can always rage to dish out even more.  Great RP opportunities.

TjD

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I went over all the options presented here, and my player chose the berserker, he went desert and took the horse land nomad background and got stealth. Plus he loves to RP a loud mouth braggart type. I will posit how it went Saturday after the first night off play
Hi, we are starting a new adventure at lvl 6. Our party is a Shadow assassin , rogue, bard. The general theme is a stealthy commando unit. What suggestions do people have for our fourth player. 

Play what you want to play.
How he or she performs will of course be based on the campaign setting.

Any class can be stealthy or commando like.