Tokens in the graveyard

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's say i have Vulturous Zombie in play and my opponent has a token creature that dies. Does my Vulturous Zombie get +1/+1 due to it's ability even though a Token technically does not stay in the graveyard?  Thanks.
tokens are not cards
Vulturous Zombie cares about cards
proud member of the 2011 community team
tokens are not cards

Ok, so then let's say i have Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and a token of mine goes in the graveyard. Does it count?
Note that things that don't care about cards.  Blade of the Bloodchief will trigger fine when a token creature goes to the graveyard.
MTG Rules Advisor
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord counts creature cards, which again, tokens are not
proud member of the 2011 community team
tokens are not cards

Ok, so then let's say i have Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and a token of mine goes in the graveyard. Does it count?

Jarad's first ability also only counts cards.  His first activated ability can be activated by saccing a token.
MTG Rules Advisor
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord counts creature cards, which again, tokens are not

Ok, K-Mogg basically just contradicted what you just told me. if Blade of the Bloodchief counts tokens as creatures, then so should Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord...no?
tokens are not cards

Jarad's first ability also only counts cards.  His first activated ability can be activated by saccing a token.

Ok, so key term here being "Creature card" right? If it would say just creature then it would be just fine?
Correct.
MTG Rules Advisor
Correct.

Great, thanks people. You're a big help.
tokens are not cards

Ok, so key term here being "Creature card" right? If it would say just creature then it would be just fine?

Not in the case of Jarad, because as you noted in your first post, tokens don't stay in the graveyard long enough to ever matter for Jarad's ability even if it didn't say "card".

Tokens do go to the graveyard and will trigger anything that cares about this, however, they (a) cease to exist the next time state-based actions are done, which is just before the next opportunity any player has to play anything, and long before you could, say, deal combat damage with anything, and (b) are not cards and never count toward anything that specifically says "card".

Jeff Heikkinen

I have permanently left these forums.

Bad moderation decisions were the last straw, but there were other factors too.

But if you see this and are into tabletop RPGs and/or Final Fantasy and similar JRPGs, why not check out my site at philosoraptorgames.com?

Sign In to post comments