Magic attacks and scaling with gear

Hi, we have been playing 5 th edition, and now when we reached lvl, we had a discussion. If a caster ( wizard, cleric) use a magic +1 wand, holy symbol etc ,doesn´t that scale with attack rolls? As far as i remember it always did in 3.5 and 4 th edition, and it would pretty much leave casters in a bad shape if it didnt. Spells that hit AC like a rogue, warrior etc, would be far less useful gaining lvls. Anyways, we had a huge argue reguarding this matter, can u guys help me solve this? Hope u can help
In 3.5, there weren't really wands or holy symbols that gave bonuses to spell attacks.  Fifth edition is the first one that I know of where you actually make spell attack rolls against AC.

If you had a +3 staff or something, though, then I'm pretty sure that just gives you a bonus if you actually go and try to bash someone over the head with it.

The metagame is not the game.

Multiple spells had touch attacks and ranged touch attacks against AC in 3.5. However, you are right in the fact that there were no impliment style items that straight added to spell attack rolls like magic weapons did. Staffs and Wands were never printed with a + modifier in official books.

You could take feats like weapon focus with things like rays and such to give you attack bonuses, however.

On the topic of 5e, I do see how not having + to attacks for spells might be an issue. But with bounded accuracy, it will never be the difference of more than +3 or so.
My two copper.
Hi, we have been playing 5 th edition, and now when we reached lvl, we had a discussion. If a caster ( wizard, cleric) use a magic +1 wand, holy symbol etc ,doesn´t that scale with attack rolls? As far as i remember it always did in 3.5 and 4 th edition, and it would pretty much leave casters in a bad shape if it didnt. Spells that hit AC like a rogue, warrior etc, would be far less useful gaining lvls. Anyways, we had a huge argue reguarding this matter, can u guys help me solve this? Hope u can help

It doesn't in 3e because no such items existed in 3e, and would have been highly overpowered if they did because 3e spells where targeting touch AC. They did work that way in 4e, but in 4e, magic combat and martial combat was run using the same system.

I would expect such an item would be fine in 5e right now, but it isn't clear how the designers intend to fix that problem long term. If they compensate by giving spells or spell casters a built in boost to attack bonus, then such an item would become over powered.

There are no official items in Next that do that, so there is no proper answer.

Thanx alot for the answers. right now it seems like the aoe spells that monsters usually need to use dex against my dc, is more or less irresistable, while the spells i cast against AC, is useless....
MOnsters doesnt get higher dex but my DC will improve... HAve our group misread the rules or something.... As a lvl 4 i have 16 in DC, and alot of monsters have +1 or less modifiers on dex.... Just doesnt seem right.... Soon they will need a natural 20 to resist my spells?? What happened to saving throws?

This question really underlines the "no magic items" approach we've been told about. Since magic items don't figure into the system math, the need to provide bonuses to all classes through magic items in the same way.

I personally don't mind the idea of implement style items that grant bonuses to magic attacks and if I was running a game that used magic items I'd take care to provide items that provide the bonus to people who preferred not to use an implement, but the game as written isn't designed with magic items in mind.

So basically if as a DM you decide that casters need the boost 'cause of magic weapons you've chosen to put into play, you're free to hand 'em items that give them that bonus and you're not going to upset anything except the balance of your own game.

The balance of magic items is basically our problem right now, not theirs.

as it should be, magic items should not ever be expected, they are part of the reward system for play, if players assume magic items are always deserved or that because as an 8th level figher I SHOULD have a +3 sword, then getting a +3 sword isnt reall much of a reward its more of a meh given. 

I dont think you should see that as a "problem" but as a solution to a bigger problem... that being player motivation.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." Gygax
Sign In to post comments