[GTC-ICD] Glaring Spotlight

117 posts / 0 new
Last post

Glaring Spotlight

Artifact (R)

Creatures your opponents conrtol with hexproof can be the targets of spells and abilities you control as though they didn't have hexproof.

. Sacrifice Glaring Spotlight Creatures you control gain hexproof until end of turn and are unblockable this turn.

Source: Aaron Forsythe's Twitter 

EDIT: Added text spoiler. 
It's very narrow and creates a deviant subgame. I like it.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
nasty sideboard card
proud member of the 2011 community team
This card makes me very angry... it must be banned.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

I'm in love.
Chalk this up with Frontline Medic in the "Epic levels of retardedly specific hate" category.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

And here's our answer for all those pesky hexproof creatures. Suddenly, Invisible Stalker has a lot more to concern him than the vampires' sense of smell and those freezing Nephalian nights. GoST decks will also dread this.

Like Pithing Needle, this will see a lot of use as a sideboard card. Whereas Needle would see the most use in a control deck, especially any combination of WUB, I expect Glaring Spotlight to be a favorite of burn and removal decks, particularly BR. And as my brother pointed out, Pit Fight just became a much more fun card.

Is it just me or did they make this card EXACTLY to counter Invisible Stalker?
Still won't stop [C]Geist of Saint Traft[/C]'s succes which I like.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

This seems like a decent sideboard card, I doubt that you can mainboard it though. Also, INCREDIBLY narrow. How much artifact hate is there in standard now also?
Don't forget about Saint.

And Modern Auras 
Hexproof was a dumb spin on Shroud and instead of just keeping Shroud and dumping Hexproof Wizards kept Hexproof and now this is the result. Glad to have this card, hate the Giest and hate the Stalker, jsut not happy about the obiviousness of the card. At least with the Medic they hid it within a battalion creature. This is as bad as Grafdigger's Cage in the aspect of, "Oops we messed up and are too lazy to creatively come up with a way to fix it."
The static ability is nice and all, but it's that activated ability that seems like a winner for me.  Seems awfully cheap to have a colorless tool that can foil a targetted creature spell, *or* can be used to have a massive gamewinning unblockable swing.
I like that this is main deck-able for the 3 mana unblockable alpha strike and is still useful for the corner case hexproof hate.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Solid sideboard card, though I kind of want to find a deck that abuses that second ability... A control deck that uses Stolen Identity to keep churning out copies of this that you can sack to protect your creatures and ensure more copies maybe?
THe season of the 18 Month Aura Playability Period is over.  No!  THis sucks, not fair.  All the should have done is an erreta on Invisible Stalker and Giest of Saint Traft.  This is cruel.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

THe season of the 18 Month Aura Playability Period is over.  No!  THis sucks, not fair.  All the should have done is an erreta on Invisible Stalker and Giest of Saint Traft.  This is cruel.

Chill out, man,

just because this card exists now doesn't mean cards like stalker or geist become terrible. Zombies are still very strong in standard even though there are tons of sideboard cards against them.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

*Realizes this card makes your creatures unblockable*

Oh, I did not notice that at first. Now I like this card even more; it's relevant to creature aggro. It does Teleportal's job at a lower CMC and can be played in any color. And it's another toy for Affinity decks to play with. Tribal decks playing this will be terrifying.

Hexproof was a decent idea that should have seen extremely limited use, not a total replacement of Shroud.  Seriously, if Hexproof was made to fix Auras, it turned out as effective as bringing in Kudzu to kill weeds.

If Auras need to be more playable, then the Auras themselves should be made stronger or given new abilities.  Not the creatures.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
:|
Welp, there goes Blue-Green's only chance of ever being competitive. 

Yeah, just like Grafdigger's Cage ruined all grave-centric decks.

And pro-tip: Green is the last color that's going to be worried about artifacts. 

And pro-tip: Red is the last color that's going to be worried about artifacts. 

Fixed

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

I wish they made it a little less narrow.
General "untargetable hate" - priercing through hexproof, shroud and protection - would've been too powerfull I guess.

But the second effect is much more interesting to me this way. I'll certainly buy at least one.

And pro-tip: Red is the last color that's going to be worried about artifacts. 

Fixed

Fair to say it falls firmly in both of their color pies, between Naturalize, Ancient Grudge, and Shatter. 
Hexproof was a decent idea that should have seen extremely limited use, not a total replacement of Shroud.  Seriously, if Hexproof was made to fix Auras, it turned out as effective as bringing in Kudzu to kill weeds.

If Auras need to be more playable, then the Auras themselves should be made stronger or given new abilities.  Not the creatures.

Well, if you want more Rancors hanging around...

Crown of Flames is pretty good, it's about time they reprinted it.

And here's our answer for all those pesky hexproof creatures. Suddenly, Invisible Stalker has a lot more to concern him than the vampires' sense of smell and those freezing Nephalian nights. GoST decks will also dread this.

Like Pithing Needle, this will see a lot of use as a sideboard card. Whereas Needle would see the most use in a control deck, especially any combination of WUB, I expect Glaring Spotlight to be a favorite of burn and removal decks, particularly BR. And as my brother pointed out, Pit Fight just became a much more fun card.

There was a lot of wrath cards going on too though.  So those were pretty good answers.
I like the added value of making all your creature hexproof/unblockable for 3 mana and sac. This actually could be main deckable as a 4 mana way to win (assuming it isn't countered). As a 1-of anyways.

I mean, @ 1 mana and colorless to boot it can squeeze into any deck.

they're hard to balance.  in limited, evasive beater + oodles of pump auras is a dominant game plan.  but constructed decks eat that up.  make them stronger, and you end up with an extremely swingy format, where removal spells are all 2 for 1s and not drawing removal means auto lose.  hence the shift to equipment, which can be balanced more easily.

There was a lot of wrath cards going on too though.  So those were pretty good answers.

But this is a cheap answer. Electrickery did provide a cheap answer against the Stalker, of course, but in case the opponent manages to pump or otherwise support it, the Spotlight here presents players with a lot more options of how to remove it.

I like the added value of making all your creature hexproof/unblockable for 3 mana and sac. This actually could be main deckable as a 4 mana way to win (assuming it isn't countered). As a 1-of anyways.

And if I have my own Spotlight out the Hexproof you get from yours becomes useless.

And if I have my own Spotlight out the Hexproof you get from yours becomes useless.

That's true! And funny, but it doesn't stop the unblockableness! Phew!
Creatures your opponents conrtol with hexproof can be the targets of spells and abilities you control as though they didn't have hexproof.

How does this card even work? Does "can't" no longer beat "can"? Hexproof makes it so they can't be targeted so even if you have an effect saying "can be" Hexproof should override it and be like, "Can't." "But but my effect says 'can be'" "Nope." "But but it's 'as if they didn't'" "Can't."

From Twitter:

Aaron Forsythe ‏@mtgaaron: Hexproof creatures got you down? Shine the spotlight on them!http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/h0ndjlxf87_en.jpg  #MTGGTC Burn that Geist! Terror that Stalker!

zack levine ‏@metaknightmare: That makes my inner designer AND vorthos happy. Who's to credit for this?

Aaron Forsythe
 ‏@mtgaaron
: I believe @billy_moreno made this card as part of an initiative to bring more "city flavor" to the block.

AquaBuddha ‏@cudgeljob: How does this interact with rule 101.2 (in Magic, "can't" trumps "can")?

Aaron Forsythe ‏@mtgaaron: Correctly. The key is saying "as if they didn't have hexproof." Doesn't change what hexproof does--it ignores it.

See Warmonger's Chariot and Spire Serpent. It's not the "can" beating the "can't" so much as the "as though they didn't" beating the "can't".

How does this card even work? Does "can't" no longer beat "can"? Hexproof makes it so they can't be targeted so even if you have an effect saying "can be" Hexproof should override it and be like, "Can't." "But but my effect says 'can be'" "Nope." "But but it's 'as if they didn't'" "Can't."

This isn't targeting so it can change the rules text as compared to a card that say's target on it.

Works same way any other global effect would really. I get where you are coming from though. I think global effects that change the way the game works trump solo changing the way 1 card works.

Oooh ooh ninja edit. Ok so why didn't they just say creature's your opponent's control lose hexproof?

Oooh ooh ninja edit. Ok so why didn't they just say creature's your opponent's control lose hexproof?

Because then they could re-gain Hexproof through something like Mizzium Skin or Ring of Evos Isle, this wording means that even if they gain Hexproof again they can still be targetted.
This is the best thing in Gatecrash.
This is the best thing in RTR block
This is a better thing than anthing in Old Ravnica.

This would be the best thing ever, but it's got competition from Torpor Orb, Melira, Sylvok Outcast, and some weird things from Time Spiral Block and Pre-8th

Not the most powerful card, of course... but the best.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

But this is a cheap answer. Electrickery did provide a cheap answer against the Stalker, of course, but in case the opponent manages to pump or otherwise support it, the Spotlight here presents players with a lot more options of how to remove it.

Rolling Temblor
Blasphemous Act
Magmaquake
Cower in Fear
Mutilate
Curse of Death's Hold
Chandra's Fury
Worldfire
Planar Cleansing
Zombie Apocalypse
Aggravate
Bonfire of the Damned
Terminus
Barter in Blood
Mizzium Mortars
Street Spasm
Supreme Verdict
Scorch the Fields

There is probably more that take care of him.  Then also the blue bounce with miracle or overload.

See Warmonger's Chariot and Spire Serpent. It's not the "can" beating the "can't" so much as the "as though they didn't" beating the "can't".

I don't know though, allow me to nitpick: by the rules it just doesn't work. Can't beats can. This doesn't make them lose hexproof, they still have it- so they still can't be targeted by the keyword definition, and can't beats can; so this card should do nothing, by the rules.

The Chariot and the Serpent shouldn't work either. They should word these as "loses defender until..." or "loses hexproof until..." because they don't work otherwise. "You can target creatures with hexproof" no, you can't. "You can ... as if ..." No, still can't because they still do.

I understand that they're trying to make this work, and we can say, "Well, let's just say it works" and I'm all for that. But by the rules- doesn't work. Should say "lose hexproof" instead. If WotC doesn't show a little forsight in these rules matters I give them another year or two tops before the rules implode upon themselves in a fiery self-contradictory conflagration the likes of which these fantasy worlds have never before seen!

Because then they could re-gain Hexproof through something like Mizzium Skin or Ring of Evos Isle, this wording means that even if they gain Hexproof again they can still be targetted.

You could give them hexproof that way but as a statebased wouldn't it be removed by the static rules change?
Oh, I like this. I am getting a few for my SB. Hell, I might run 3 in Gruul just for the second ability.
Sign In to post comments