DMing through the 4e "Red Box"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,

I may have a few questions that I post in this thread as I  go throught he very first adventure that a group of 12 year olds is doing with me. This is my first time DM'ing and I haven't played myself in a few decades so I'm a bit rusty on a lot of things.

First question : I have a couple of wizards who have spell cards to use. When a card says "Intelligence vs. Will" how do I determine if that spell works or not? The reason I ask is that the wizards have an intelligence of 18 and 20. The will of every NPC they face in the adventure has a will that is less than that. If I just look at that  as 18 vs. 12, the spell works without any roll to check. Am I missing something?

Thanks! -- Craig
The rules cover this. Read them over. Basically, roll a d20, add their Int modifier (probably +3 to +5, plus half their level) and compare the total to the target's will. All attacks work similarly, with different modifiers vs. different defenses.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

The rules cover this. Read them over. Basically, roll a d20, add their Int modifier (probably +3 to +5, plus half their level) and compare the total to the target's will. All attacks work similarly, with different modifiers vs. different defenses.

That's what I expected, but the cards themselves are a little confusing because they have a place for the players to write in their intelligence on a line that says "Int vs. Will" and the line below that asks for their Int modifier specifically for damage.

That's what I expected, but the cards themselves are a little confusing because they have a place for the players to write in their intelligence on a line that says "Int vs. Will" and the line below that asks for their Int modifier specifically for damage.

The rules explain it, and probably give examples. At first level, without feats or items, those two numbers are the same.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

The rules explain it, and probably give examples. At first level, without feats or items, those two numbers are the same.

That phrasing is rather misleading.

First level Wizard Int - 18-20.
First level Wizard Int Mod - 4-5.

Their attack bonus and damage bonus will likely be the same at first level, but they will both be Int Mod (4-5).
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Thanks for confirming. That's what I thought.