The 7 Meanest Cards in EDH

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.thecgrealm.com/events2.php?id=303

I purposefully picked a number 1 that would cause some discussion.
Enjoy!
I came here looking for cards, but found none. lol
What is this CG Realm? Never heard of it.
I came here looking for cards, but found none. lol
What is this CG Realm? Never heard of it.

It's a store/regional distributor in Southwestern Ontario that is growing to the point where it is trying to become an online presence.  I'm the EDH columnist for that website.
Yeah, no.

sadistic sacrament

watch someone play this, then have it misdirectioned back at them. Laughs for all, except one.
Yeah, no.

sadistic sacrament

watch someone play this, then have it misdirectioned back at them. Laughs for all, except one.

I had this happen to me during a 2v2 for funs. None the less I was playing with Gisela as my commander and I had 5-6 and my artifact ramp was destroyed then someone hard casted-kicked it. Immidiately I poker faced followed by QQing by me.
Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats
Yea... Sadistic Sacrament is dirty as hell. I also dislike Nevermore on someone's general. I never really thought Aura Shards was that bad. It still requires that person to get creatures into play when threats are on the board before it gets removed. /shrug

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

People who play vorinclex in multiplayer are scum, yes.
I have ways around Vorinclex, Jin-Gitaxis is almost always more devastating in our group.

Also how did you not get Winter Orb? Rising Waters? Erayo, Soratami Ascendant? Braids, Cabal Minion?
I have ways around Vorinclex, Jin-Gitaxis is almost always more devastating in our group.

Also how did you not get Winter Orb? Rising Waters? Erayo, Soratami Ascendant? Braids, Cabal Minion?

A lot of those require a deck built around them - those kinds of cards will be in  a future column (it's a weekly column, I have to conserve topics).

Though I also think Sadstic Sacrement is mean, you won't always be casting it with it's kicker.  Without the kicker, it's no more mean than Jester's Cap - a nuisance, really.
I also think Aura Shards is one of the more "iffy" cards on the list.  I placed it higher than Mindslave because you see it in more decks.  When it's in play, though, it can create a pretty oppressive boardstate, and it completely nerfs more than one common strategy.
My Karn deck cries at aura shards. But I think there are meaner cards.

3DH4LIF3

Cards like Blood Moon spring to mind in mean cards....there are so many, it's ridiculous. Your list is not bad at all, but I think that there are many worse cards than some of these. Identity Crisis will wreck exactly one player, to some extent only, and then if it can be recurred will be removed first. I've never fallen victim to it, and I doubt I ever will, and if anyone targets me, it won't kill my strategy because I don't play out of my graveyard and expect to have plenty of hand disruption anyhow. But, if I played such a deck that were vulnerable to it, it would hurt bad, so I'd consider it a mean card if i play that sort of strategy. Blood Moon is more likely to hurt me than a 40-point Comet Storm to the head though, and any copy of the infamous Norin the Wary deck has an amalgamation of crap that nobody likes that makes the whole thing mean and annoying. Again though, good list for newbs' consideration of things NOT to play in order to make friends at the table!
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.

Yeah, I have to agree. Jin is way (okay, just marginally) more annoying than Vorinclex. I'll always remember the one game where somebody made use of a collective voyage and a lucky planeswalk to get out a third turn Jin-Gitaxis. And then it was killed by the same spell that blew up all my lands before anyone else had to disacard.
This is well-worn territory, not to mention arbitrary.  And out of nearly 20,000 cards, these seven are the absolute meanest?  Methinks you can do better.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Oh yes how could I have forgotten Portcullis? That little gem was clearly not designed with edh in mind.

All in all I have to say the list wasn't too bad.
This is well-worn territory, not to mention arbitrary.  And out of nearly 20,000 cards, these seven are the absolute meanest?  Methinks you can do better.

As are all lists like this.  This list was designed to stir discussion, not to be a definitive list that everyone should look to.
Yeah I don't think aura shards is 'mean', just powerful. Identity crisis is a darn good choice though. Spending resources to castrate one person for no personal gain? That's just mean, man.

When I think mean, I think: going out of your way to harass someone. So it has to be something that doesn't particularly help you (outside of having a weakened opponent), and singles one person out. Hurting all opponents collectively isn't mean, that's just trying to win. Picking on one poor sob for the sheer satisfaction of it? That's cruelty at its finest.
But, if I played such a deck that were vulnerable to it, it would hurt bad, so I'd consider it a mean card if i play that sort of strategy.

Er...when you say 'that sort of strategy', do you mean the sort that likes to have cards to play? Isn't that....all of them?
I was referring to a strategy that uses the graveyard excessively, such as dredging and reanimating things. My meta in particular has so much graveyard hate that I rarely even consider it an option. Sure, the loss of the hand is bad, but it can be recovered depending on whether the whole table decides to go for the throat after Identity Crisis is cast. Crisis doesn't affect cards in play, it merely slows the hand down (I see plenty of Wheel of Fortune and Reforge the Soul, etc, and as I mentioned don't use my graveyard as a second hand, so losing cards I held is par for course to me; though, at least with mass loot you get something back afterwards....).

I can see this being mean in the sense that yes, it does pick on one person, which is mean. It just never bothers me more than a Mind Twist or Counterspell does.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.

As are all lists like this.  This list was designed to stir discussion, not to be a definitive list that everyone should look to.

Exactly, all lists.  Which means there are many, and you're not really adding anything new to the discussion.  I suppose I could just shut my mouth, as I have little positive to say, however you seem like a decent writer.  You just need better ideas for articles.

A lot of those require a deck built around them - those kinds of cards will be in  a future column (it's a weekly column, I have to conserve topics).

Though I also think Sadstic Sacrement is mean, you won't always be casting it with it's kicker.  Without the kicker, it's no more mean than Jester's Cap - a nuisance, really.
I also think Aura Shards is one of the more "iffy" cards on the list.  I placed it higher than Mindslave because you see it in more decks.  When it's in play, though, it can create a pretty oppressive boardstate, and it completely nerfs more than one common strategy.

True, the sacrament does need it's kicker paid to really be evil, but, that's pretty much the idea! In the example I used, it was kicked, the player playing it wouldn't have played it otherwise. So, while I understand the base spell of 3 cards is pretty mundane, it is still bad enough to cripple a combo deck for example (combo can't pop off if one of two parts of it aren't there right?!), or remove  key spells in another, it is still pretty evil. So, I would make the arguement that in a format where only one copy of a card is allowed, any card that removes cards from a library can be evil, some moreso than others.

As for creatures, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur had him pop off and wipe my hand, then the next player killed him, so i was the only one effected that game, playing mono green that was a blast, and Sheoldred, Whispering One can be awful if left in play.   

I think this top ten or whatever you want to call it should've really broken down by card types, top 10 creatures, sorceries, etc.  

Aura shards, meh, it's hurtful against artifact and enchanment heavy decks.

Also there is a new Demon creature coming out, it's not evil, but will be played, and will be fun me thinks:

Lord of the Void 4BBB
7/7 Flying

Whenever Lord of the Vault deals combat damage to a player, exile the top 7 cards of that player's library, then put a creature card from among them onto the battlefield under your control.        
What? No Blighted Agent? It's a lot like Tainted Strike, but more so because it's already unblockable, and can be played in Rafiq, Mimeoplasm, or what have you.

Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur's also a popular choice. It's the one card I always include answers to.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Exactly, all lists.  Which means there are many, and you're not really adding anything new to the discussion.  I suppose I could just shut my mouth, as I have little positive to say, however you seem like a decent writer.  You just need better ideas for articles.

Anything popular is going to have been done before - there is no such thing as original thought.  I'm just getting started (literally, that was my second article), so I'm trying to get some readership, not to mention traffic for the site.

And if you have any better ideas for articles, I'm all ears.  That goes for everyone - I have a decent list of future topics, but with a weekly article, I have a lot of ground to cover.  One of the things I'll be doing is an article write-up of each colour-pair - that'll take up some time.
I'll be doing other lists, essays, strategy guides, anything I and/or you can think up.
Personally, I like going off the beaten path, i.e. unconventional generals, deck strategies, card choices etc.  I'd personally be interested in an article(s), about getting around a color's weaknesses, like black's inability to deal with artifacts (Gate to Phyrexia exists?!), red's inability to do...almost anything.  Think about articles that you would want to read, because honestly, I check websites like Gathering Magic and if the article looks like every other article, I won't even bother clicking on it.

Stuff that generally gives me trouble:

[Card]Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir[/Card]
[Card]Mana Drain[/Card]
[Card]Crystal shard[/Card]
[Card]Erratic portal[/Card]
[Card]Winter orb[/Card]

The fact that all of them play well in the same deck doesnt help :P 

Magic Rafiq Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][multiplayer] [] Inferno Beatdown [EDH][multiplayer][1vs1][] Gwendlyn Combo/Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][] Merieke Casual Deck [EDH][multiplayer][] Roleplaying Magician class [D&D 3.5]

Scion of the Ur-Dragon as a Commander with Nicol Bolas and Dragon Tyrant.

I was hit with the Scion 4th turn activated putting Bolas into the grave, 5th turn putting Tyrant into the grave. 
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
NVM, I mentioned a card that I didn't realize was banned.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

I always thought Hatred was pretty mean.

3DH4LIF3

I've used Bitter Ordeal for like 30 or so cards once, that's a fringe example, but I have consistently used it for 10 cards.
Sometimes it's not the card, but how you use it.

"Oh, you built your entire deck around your commander's ability?" Casually tosses out a Spell Crumple when they cast their general.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Sometimes it's not the card, but how you use it.

"Oh, you built your entire deck around your commander's ability?" Casually tosses out a Spell Crumple when they cast their general.

There is actually a large contingent of players who hate tuck effects, so much so that they lobby for the RC to ban them from time to time.  I've also encountered a couple of playgroups that ban tuck effects.  I think they're perfectly valid, but I've encountered resistance from time to time.

Honetly, I don't care how good your deck works with your commander available, if your deck can't win without your commander, your deck sucks. 
Short, sweet and to the point.  QFFT; yes, double F:  Alternatively Q256T.
100% agreed on the tucks.  Sure, they're mean...but nowhere near someone casting a kicked Rite of Replication, forked, and then forked again with Riku on some hasted powerhouse.

I actually had one of my generals tucked for the first time this past Sunday, and I didn't even care...because I knew my deck could handle itself without the general.

I'm a convert from standard, so I had one simple concept of MTG driven into me:  your deck should never rely on one single card.  If it does, make it better, or enjoy losing a lot.  I'm guessing a lot of the people who want tucks banned didn't learn that...

But GeekyDad DOES make an excellent point about a scenario it would be hard not to get mad about, though...there have been times when I wanted to jack someone in the face because they cast something at a critical juncture, or acted like an innocent jerk about it.  But it's part of the game...life goes on.

My vote would go to stuff like Decree of Annihilation, PARTICULARLY if you don't have a wincon ready to take advantage within 2-3 rounds.
100% agreed on the tucks.  Sure, they're mean...but nowhere near someone casting a kicked Rite of Replication, forked, and then forked again with Riku on some hasted powerhouse.

I actually had one of my generals tucked for the first time this past Sunday, and I didn't even care...because I knew my deck could handle itself without the general.

I'm a convert from standard, so I had one simple concept of MTG driven into me:  your deck should never rely on one single card.  If it does, make it better, or enjoy losing a lot.  I'm guessing a lot of the people who want tucks banned didn't learn that...

But GeekyDad DOES make an excellent point about a scenario it would be hard not to get mad about, though...there have been times when I wanted to jack someone in the face because they cast something at a critical juncture, or acted like an innocent jerk about it.  But it's part of the game...life goes on.

My vote would go to stuff like Decree of Annihilation, PARTICULARLY if you don't have a wincon ready to take advantage within 2-3 rounds.

That's my view of mass land destruction - I don't mind it, so long as you wn quickly.
There is one card that I hate with a passion: Myojin of Night's Reach.  Putting this in a deck, the person doing it has to know they they're being an a-hole.  I played a game against one guy who used his ability to make us all lose our hands, and several turns later I destroyed his Cabal Coffers with Choking Sands, to which he tersely replied "Land destruction isn't fun," clearly attempting to invoke the social contract.  I said "Oh yeah, remember when we all DISCARDED OUR HANDS?  That was a [expletive deleted] move."  From that point on, I directed all my resources to making him lose.

For the record, targeted land destruction is a-ok in my book.  Also, if you manage to get enough counters on Ajani Vengeant to pop his ultimate, you deserve to.     

There is one card that I hate with a passion: Myojin of Night's Reach.  Putting this in a deck, the person doing it has to know they they're being an a-hole.  I played a game against one guy who used his ability to make us all lose our hands, and several turns later I destroyed his Cabal Coffers with Choking Sands, to which he tersely replied "Land destruction isn't fun," clearly attempting to invoke the social contract.  I said "Oh yeah, remember when we all DISCARDED OUR HANDS?  That was a [expletive deleted] move."  From that point on, I directed all my resources to making him lose.

For the record, targeted land destruction is a-ok in my book.  Also, if you manage to get enough counters on Ajani Vengeant to pop his ultimate, you deserve to.     

I can see Night's Reach being a jerk move.  Thought it's always nice to have an indestructible, that divinity counter is just too tempting to remove for most people...

As for the second point, doesn't that apply to every planeswalker?  Of course, it doesn't help that most everyone plays Venser or Elspeth 1.0, so the kneejerk reaction is "Planeswalker = MUST DIE!".
Myojin is meanest when you pass and wait until their draw step to have them discard.

3DH4LIF3

I'd have to say

Omniscience is my most hated card pretty much ends the game instantly when it resolves.

I also dislike the new bounce spell with Overload Cyclonic Rift for a similar reason.

Other then that any "Take an extra turn type card" but especially Time Stretch mainly because silly combo decks play these cards and nothing is more boring for the whole table then for one player to take about 6 turns in a row before finally killing everyone.

Mass LD like Armageddon or Decree of Anihilation, which someone else mentioned are up there for cards that tick me off. I think targetted LD is fine since a lot of people play stuff like Maze of Ith and Gaeas cradle - need a way to shut those off.

Also dislike Back to basics I admit I play Blood Moon in one of my mono red decks but there is a fair bit of artifact mana usually in play and a lot of decks play chromatic lantern.

Terastodon is up there too.

I once hit a kicked Rite of Replication on my opponents terastodon that was funny.
I always thought Hatred was pretty mean.

this & infect.

you want to see a player cry when you attack with a 1/1 infect?

that was a good day. i have / had a 60 card infect deck that ran 2 of these, dark rituals, and cheapo infect stuff, and other pumpers like giant growth. like turn 2 or 3 with the right hand you could win.
I hate Infect as a dedicated strategy.  I do run Tainted Strike in my Lord of Tresserhorn deck, and I'll probably run Skittles in my upcoming Kaalia deck.  A dedicated Infect deck would be too mean.

I had my general, The Mimeoplasm, tucked the very first time I played EDH. (Bought a commander pack.) The same guy managed to steal or exile every single one of my creatures until I was left with pretty much nothing. Since it was my first game, I sort of assumed that's pretty much how all of them go.

Then the other player dropped a Pestilence Demon, and the artifact that makes all demons invulnerable, used the Pestilence demon to wipe the board of all fliers, and attacked with all his demons to slaughter the first guy.

At which point the Control Magic on my Eldrazi went out of play, returning him to me. My turn, I look at his life total, attack, and win the game.

The pre-built Commander decks aren't great in terms of power level, but some of them can survive the Commander never seeing the battlefield. Not sure how well the pre-built Kaalia deck would hold up to that, though- it's pretty much based around her ability to throw big fatties down before anyone can respond.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.