first strike

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
i got on battle field:

splatter thug

faerie invaders                                      my oppy has sentinel spider

does first strike mean that my opponent has to block the splatter and cant chose to block the faeries?
No, first strike does not restrict your opponent's ability to block anything.
Rules Advisor
No, first strike does not restrict your opponent's ability to block anything.

does first strike work only when your opponent controls a creature with firststrike aswel then?
no

first strike just means that the creature with first strike will typically strike in the first combat damage step

each combat phase can have 1 or 2 combat damage steps, if there are no creatures in combat with first or double strike, then there is only one combat damage step, otherwise there are two.

Creatures with double strike typically strike in both damage steps
Creatures with first strike typically strike in the first damage step
Creatures without first or double strike typically strike in the second damage step when there are two damage steps, otherwise they strike in the first step

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

First strike means that the creature will deal combat damage before any creatures without first strike or double strike. First strike on an unblocked creature often doesn't matter much, but if your opponent blocked your Faeries with his Spider, you could cast Fog after your Splatter Thug had already its dealt combat damage to your opponent and save your Faeries.
Rules Advisor
First strike and double strike both create a second combat damage step. and they let those creatures deal combat damage in the first combat damage step while all other creatures, that don't have either ability, have to wait for the second. double strike lets the creature deal damage in both of those steps.

Since the combat damage turn based action is followed by a check of SBA and all players get to do stuff before the next combat damage step begins, a creature with first/double strike can potentially kill its blocker/blocked attacker without recieving any combat damage itself.
First strike means that the creature will deal combat damage before any creatures without first strike or double strike. First strike on an unblocked creature often doesn't matter much, but if your opponent blocked your Faeries with his Spider, you could cast Fog after your Splatter Thug had already its dealt combat damage to your opponent and save your Faeries.

is it like opening a gap for you to be able to play an instant during combat step?

If at least one attacking or blocking creature has first strike or double strike (see rule 702.4) as the combat damage step begins, the only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are those with first strike or double strike.

can the spider block both 1. and 2. steps as he has vigilance?

what i dont get is . what really happens when there is only 1 creature with first strike on the battle field and non other like double strike or so.

well being able to play an instant there is something :D
im realy trying to understand pls exuse  if im sounding way too noob :D

Here is a quick breakdown of the combat phase.

1. Begining of combat
2. Declare attackers
3. Declare blockers
4. Combat damage step
5. End of combat

All players get priority in every step.  If there is at least one creature with first or double strike, the combat phase gets an extra step.

1. Begining of combat
2. Declare attackers
3. Declare blockers
4a. First combat damage step
4b. Second combat damage step
5. End of combat

If you have an attacker with first strike, that does not mean the defending creature can block twice (there isn't an extra declare blockers step, just damage step)
Vigilance has no impact when you are blocking, only attacking.

Yes, having the extra combat damage step does mean all players get an extra priority before normal combat damage to cast spells/abilities, so you can do things like fog, or bounce creatures after first strike damage.
MTG Rules Advisor

Since the combat damage turn based action is followed by a check of SBA and all players get to do stuff before the next combat damage step begins, a creature with first/double strike can potentially kill its blocker/blocked attacker without recieving any combat damage itself.

does that roughy mean that 

3/3 and 6/6 can fight in the first step  and at the second step you can hit the    ex6/6    new3/3 ( the other is dead) with a volcanic hammer 

and get done with it ?

is it like opening a gap for you to be able to play an instant during combat step?

Yes. If a creature with first strike or double strike is involved in combat, there are two combat damage steps instead of one. Players may cast spells and activate abilities as normal in both of these steps.

No. There is still only one declare blockers step per combat. Once the spider has been declared as a blocker, it can't change what it's blocking later in that same combat.

what i dont get is . what really happens when there is only 1 creature with first strike on the battle field and non other like double strike or so.

There will still be two combat damage steps in this case.

Rules Advisor
some examples might help

a 2/2 first striker attacks and is blocked by a 2/2

the attacker hits first killing the blocker

a 2/2 first striker attacks and is blocked by a 2/3

the attacker hits first dealing 2 damage to the blocker in the first damage step
the blocker hits back in the second damage step killing the attacker
if the attacking player had a way to deal 1 damage with an instant he could save his attacker

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

There is just another combat damage STEP, NOT a whole new combat phase. Blocking was done before the first combat damage step begins. And all blocking is done simultaneously. Your spider can still only block one creature, because nothing says otherwise.

If only the first strike creature is involved in combat, nothing much different happens. But there IS another step during which players get to cast spells/activate abilities. This means another round of passing priority, but it would rarely matter.

If at least one first triker and one non-first striker are involved in combat, they deal combat damage at different times, and you can do stuff in between,like kill creatures, prevent damage, bounce something, etc. All of this will not undo the combat damage already done, but can influence the combat damage yet about to happen in the next step. There are still only two times at which combat damage is dealt, and all attacking/blocking creatures deal their combat damage in either or both of them.

If you have an attacker with first strike, that does not mean the defending creature can block twice (there isn't an extra declare blockers step, just damage step)

now Cool this explains evrything for me :D

and brings another question :D

the defender will just be looking at the creatures attacking right? witch faze doesnt matter much for him. and can chose to use his defending creatures to block 1. or second strike round.

If at least one attacking or blocking creature has first strike or double strike (see rule 702.4) as the combat damage step begins, the only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are those with first strike or double strike.

The Combat Phase is divided into five or more Steps. They are beginning of combat step (no special actions here), declare attackers step (all attackers are declared at once on this step), declare blockers step (all blockers are declared at once on this step), combat damage step (combat damage is assigned -calculated- and then dealt), end of combat step (no special actions).

If any attacker or blocker has First Strike or Double Strike, a second combat damage step is created (The other combat steps aren't affected). Creatures that have First Strike will deal have their damage on the first combat damage step; normal creatures will have their damage on the second one (unless they die in the first one); creatures with double strike deals damage both times.
It's not a whole new attack-block-damage process, just a second "deals damage" part. So the spider blocks in the only declare blockers step you have, and this single blocking will define who deals damages to who on both combat damage steps.

The second combat damage step is still created, even if no-one will deal damage there.

well being able to play an instant there is something :D

Yes, both players get a chance to cast instants in every step of the Combat Phase, including both combat damage step.

[<o>]
some examples might help

a 2/2 first striker attacks and is blocked by a 2/2

the attacker hits first killing the blocker

a 2/2 first striker attacks and is blocked by a 2/3

the attacker hits first dealing 2 damage to the blocker in the first damage step
the blocker hits back in the second damage step killing the attacker
if the attacking player had a way to deal 1 damage with an instant he could save his attacker

examples do help 

as i play both sides alone. im having difficulty to follow the phaze steps 

if i wanted to kill a creature with 6 toughness if a creature i control did 3 damage to it already in the first combat step i can burn its baaaals with a volcanic hammer now :D

if i wanted to kill a creature with 6 toughness if a creature i control did 3 damage to it already in the first combat step i can burn its baaaals with a volcanic hammer now :D

Keep in mind that volcanic hammer is a sorcery, so you'll have to wait until your 2nd main phase to cast it. You'll still be able to kill the 6 toughness creature (damage remains marked on creatures until the end of the turn), but you have to wait a bit.

Keep in mind that volcanic hammer is a sorcery, so you'll have to wait until your 2nd main phase to cast it. You'll still be able to kill the 6 toughness creatures (damage remains marked on creatures until the end of the turn), but you have to wait a bit.

damn u miss noting do u :D 

i meant an instant but yeah now i see its a sorcery :D 
Searing Spear will do. and yes, you can kill the big creature this way while saving your own dude.
Searing Spear will do. and yes, you can kill the big creature this way while saving your own dude.

when splatter thug and sentinel spider fight.

if you have searing spear to play as the controller of splatty

splatty dies or survives? 
if they fight (via Prey Upon), the Thug dies and the Spider lives, but you can finish off the spider with spear.

first strike has no interaction with fight, only combat 

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

If they meet in combat as attacking and blocking creature, you can do this to save the thug.

The "fight" mechanic, though has NOTHING to do with combat at all. So first strike doesn't do anything here.
if they fight (via Prey Upon), the Thug dies and the Spider lives, but you can finish off the spider with spear.

and if the thug is the attacking and the spider defending?
Doesn't matter which creature is attacking and which is blocking. Only that one is blocked by the other.
If they meet in combat as attacking and blocking creature, you can do this to save the thug.

The "fight" mechanic, though has NOTHING to do with combat at all. So first strike doesn't do anything here.

Cool sory evry word counts . thats what i keep on forgetting while asking 

then if you're referring to regular combat, yes you can save your Thug with Spear.

You Spear first and then Thug hits spider finishing it off before it can retaliate or

You have Thug hit spider in the first damage step and then cast spear while still in the first damage step finishing off spider before it can retaliate

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

then if you're referring to regular combat, yes you can save your Thug with Spear.

You Spear first and then Thug hits spider finishing it off before it can retaliate or

You have Thug hit spider in the first damage step and then cast spear while still in the first damage step finishing off spider before it can retaliate

that would mean you can add an instants dammage to a attacking creature with first strike ?

that would mean you can add an instants dammage to a attacking creature with first strike ?

like /; there you go have this geranade with you Cool

Just to make sure you have a complete understanding of what's going on, hrere's a scenario based on your questions.
1. Begining of combat
Main Phase is over, so now only instants and spells with flash are legal to cast until the second main phase. Both players get a chance to cast spells and use abilities right now.
2. Declare attackers
Players get a chance to cast spells and use abilities, but first the active player chooses all the creatures they are attacking with.
In this case the attacking player chooses Splatter Thug and Faerie Invaders.
3. Declare blockers
Just like declare attackes the defending player declares which creatures they control will block, and which creature they block (notice first strike doesn't matter). After this is done, then both players can cast spells and use abilities.
For our example, the defender chooses to block the Splatter Thug with their Sentinel Spider.
Creatures with first strike or double strike deal damage, and then players can cast spells and use abilities.
The Thug deals 2 damage to the spider. Then the active player casts Searing Spear on the spider. The non-active player has no response, the spell resolves dealing 3 damage to the spider. It now has 5 damage and 4 toughness, so it is destroyed and put in the graveyard before either player gets another chance to cast spells and use abilities.
Creatures without first strike or have double strike deal damage, then players can cast spells and use abilities. (There are some weird exceptions about creatures gaining and losing those abilities during combat, but are not necessary for our example.) If no creatures had first strike or double strike, then all creature do damage in the first combat step and this one doesn't exist.
The unblocked faeries deal 3 damage to the defending player. If the Spear hadn't been cast, the spider would still be in play with 2 damage on it. So it could deal 4 damage to the Thug, destorying it.
5. End of combat
"At the end of combat" triggers happen and players get a chance to cast spells and use abilities before the active player enters his second main phase and can cast non-instant/flash spells. When this step is over, creatures leave combat and aren't considered "attacking" or "blocking" anymore.

I hope spelling out the whole thing gives you a more comprehensive understanding of what all these guys explained in bits and pieces.
Just to make sure you have a complete understanding of what's going on, hrere's a scenario based on your questions.
1. Begining of combat
Main Phase is over, so now only instants and spells with flash are legal to cast until the second main phase. Both players get a chance to cast spells and use abilities right now.
2. Declare attackers
Players get a chance to cast spells and use abilities, but first the active player chooses all the creatures they are attacking with.
In this case the attacking player chooses Splatter Thug and Faerie Invaders.
3. Declare blockers
Just like declare attackes the defending player declares which creatures they control will block, and which creature they block (notice first strike doesn't matter). After this is done, then both players can cast spells and use abilities.
For our example, the defender chooses to block the Splatter Thug with their Sentinel Spider.
Creatures with first strike or double strike deal damage, and then players can cast spells and use abilities.
The Thug deals 2 damage to the spider. Then the active player casts Searing Spear on the spider. The non-active player has no response, the spell resolves dealing 3 damage to the spider. It now has 5 damage and 4 toughness, so it is destroyed and put in the graveyard before either player gets another chance to cast spells and use abilities.
Creatures without first strike or have double strike deal damage, then players can cast spells and use abilities. (There are some weird exceptions about creatures gaining and losing those abilities during combat, but are not necessary for our example.) If no creatures had first strike or double strike, then all creature do damage in the first combat step and this one doesn't exist.
The unblocked faeries deal 3 damage to the defending player. If the Spear hadn't been cast, the spider would still be in play with 2 damage on it. So it could deal 4 damage to the Thug, destorying it.
5. End of combat
"At the end of combat" triggers happen and players get a chance to cast spells and use abilities before the active player enters his second main phase and can cast non-instant/flash spells. When this step is over, creatures leave combat and aren't considered "attacking" or "blocking" anymore.

I hope spelling out the whole thing gives you a more comprehensive understanding of what all these guys explained in bits and pieces.

1 4 all all 4 1 thanx to all who played a part in this Cool

before playing magic i didnt know that i was this tough headed  lol.

but u cant belame me :D some play sudoku some decide to learn magic (raistlin wouldnt like this phraze)

Sign In to post comments