Players & personalities

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm curious as to the types of personalities that people typically play with. In our group, we have a friend who will complain non stop about everything it feels like somedays, every play a person makes, every card played, every edh commander it seems. Granted, I complain, and we all do, but this particular friend seems to take things and go overboard. Not only that, while playing he tries to play these little political games that never work as everyone has caught on to his act. 

If we sit down to play, and someone plays Kaalia for example, he'll erupt in a rage of "you're playing an easy deck, no thought, just attack and put beef into play", ironically, he'll play an elf deck with ramp and play an Eldrazi, which is ok since he hard-casted it, using mana, nevermind that it was elf mana ala priest of titania or rofellos, llanowar emissary,  or, "You played this one card and my whole deck is now shot", this particular game he was playing a mono-black with a graveyard strategy and not much else going on in it, another player at the table was playing a ghave token deck and played a necrogenesis like turn 3, then from then on, it was "my graveyard deck is useless, 1 card ruined my night" he sat there stewing not playing anything until the necro was killed, and since it wasn't really bothering anyone at the table but him, no one else really cared to remove it with any haste (his commander that game by the way was Sheoldred).

This goes on almost every game, there is something that will be complained about, every game seems to degenerate into a shouting match with people almost begging him to shut up and just play.

Do you guys / girls have a player in your group like this, where everything is personal against him (even though you're just playing your game), you can't play a card without it being complained about, or just someone trying to play lame table politics?
I'm curious as to the types of personalities that people typically play with. In our group, we have a friend who will complain non stop about everything it feels like somedays, every play a person makes, every card played, every edh commander it seems. Granted, I complain, and we all do, but this particular friend seems to take things and go overboard. Not only that, while playing he tries to play these little political games that never work as everyone has caught on to his act. 

If we sit down to play, and someone plays Kaalia for example, he'll erupt in a rage of "you're playing an easy deck, no thought, just attack and put beef into play", ironically, he'll play an elf deck with ramp and play an Eldrazi, which is ok since he hard-casted it, using mana, nevermind that it was elf mana ala priest of titania or rofellos, llanowar emissary,  or, "You played this one card and my whole deck is now shot", this particular game he was playing a mono-black with a graveyard strategy and not much else going on in it, another player at the table was playing a ghave token deck and played a necrogenesis like turn 3, then from then on, it was "my graveyard deck is useless, 1 card ruined my night" he sat there stewing not playing anything until the necro was killed, and since it wasn't really bothering anyone at the table but him, no one else really cared to remove it with any haste (his commander that game by the way was Sheoldred).

This goes on almost every game, there is something that will be complained about, every game seems to degenerate into a shouting match with people almost begging him to shut up and just play.

Do you guys / girls have a player in your group like this, where everything is personal against him (even though you're just playing your game), you can't play a card without it being complained about, or just someone trying to play lame table politics?

A few things first there are no girls on the Internet.  Secondley there is no such thing as lame politics. 

Now to answer your question.  I play at a local card shop and there seem to be three or four types, (all lonley and desperate)  JK guys The one who thinks hes a better player then everyone. The weird guy who you are pretty sure hasn't seen the sunshine since the 1990's The guy who gets way mad way quick and starts acting like every play is a personal vendeta agianst him,  and then you do get people who are there just to flop cards and have fun. 

But yes I am affraid there is one of "those guys"  in every group.  And on a side note.  I have a budy this kid and I go way back and have been playing card with each other since revised was the core set.  And whenever him and I play multi-player we alwyas go for each others throats first.  He would say its usually my fault and I would probabley say he was right.  But we have so much history playing this game togeather and have had so many epic matchs I think our threat detectors are set off by each other and its mayhem for the others at the table.  I know Ive lost games because I have spent all my time trying to kill him but I can't help it.  He taugt me to play the game way back in the day, so I gusse I always just see him as the biggest threat at the table.  Cause hes a sneaky little s*** who is a great deck builder and alwyas coming up with the most creative ways to win games.  Things that I never even thought of.  But him aside I try not to hold grudges and paly fairly and by using good threat assesment techniques.  But Im human and sometimes If I get blown out of the water one game you can belive Ill be coming after you next game.  Fair is fair after all.

All the best

MOX

A few things first there are no girls on the Internet.  Secondley there is no such thing as lame politics. 

Now to answer your question.  I play at a local card shop and there seem to be three or four types, (all lonley and desperate)  JK guys The one who thinks hes a better player then everyone. The weird guy who you are pretty sure hasn't seen the sunshine since the 1990's The guy who gets way mad way quick and starts acting like every play is a personal vendeta agianst him,  and then you do get people who are there just to flop cards and have fun. 

But yes I am affraid there is one of "those guys"  in every group.  And on a side note.  I have a budy this kid and I go way back and have been playing card with each other since revised was the core set.  And whenever him and I play multi-player we alwyas go for each others throats first.  He would say its usually my fault and I would probabley say he was right.  But we have so much history playing this game togeather and have had so many epic matchs I think our threat detectors are set off by each other and its mayhem for the others at the table.  I know Ive lost games because I have spent all my time trying to kill him but I can't help it.  He taugt me to play the game way back in the day, so I gusse I always just see him as the biggest threat at the table.  Cause hes a sneaky little s*** who is a great deck builder and alwyas coming up with the most creative ways to win games.  Things that I never even thought of.  But him aside I try not to hold grudges and paly fairly and by using good threat assesment techniques.  But Im human and sometimes If I get blown out of the water one game you can belive Ill be coming after you next game.  Fair is fair after all.

All the best

MOX

True..i forgot, the internet = guys pretending to be girls. OH no, there are indeed lame politics, like politiking when you know it ain't gonna work, which is what my friend does! It's quite funny to watch sometimes, although understand what you mean (you gotta try!).

I know the feeling about you and your friend. I have people in the group like that, and I myself am that guy sometimes. The one person people just go after because they know that he'll run the table if left alone...when I was playing 60 card magic, I had another friend that was the same way, and quick to anger...i mean like scary, flipping out if he lost, and he still does.

Then there is the guy who for some reason has it in for you no matter what you do...you play a land, he'd counter it if he could! 2 weeks ago when I last played him, I was playing a mono green thrun deck, nothing special in it, just a simple green deck that hoped to boost thrun with some swords, or an enchantment or two (this is the same game my other friend was playing sheoldred). So, early I play a green sun's zenith for a 2 mana creature. Naturally I was going to get rofellos, he countered it! sure, good play considering, but a turn or two later, something was played that was much much worse, but he was just bent on stopping me!

I have done things like that in the past, and I always end up regreting them.  I consider them to be play mistakes now.  But in the moment you brain goes Green sun for two ohh thats not a big deal but your hand reachs out and counters it anyway.  OPPS Why did I do that And then four turns later when someone combos out your like wish I would have saved that.  So it all seems to be about not letting your emotions get the best of you and using good threat assesment. 

I get the bad politicking your talking about now but at that point I just call it pissing and moaing. 

I get the bad politicking your talking about now but at that point I just call it pissing and moaing. 

LOL!!! they can often be one in the same.

I've had days when I walk into the store, with the real hopes of having a nice quite couple of games...the games start, people get uppity then: 

The group I play with has a johnny, a timmy, and a spike.  Only the spike has remained spike over the years.  We're all pretty laid back, but we've become so used to each other that most things are telegraphed before they happen.  The upshot is that it's easier to read other people now, in multiplayer anyways. 

Example, we had a 4 player pod of EDH at the PTQ for Gatecrash in December?  My friend was playing wizards and I played my Sen Triplets deck.  The other two players don't often play outside of competitive, I gathered.  My friend and I went for each other straight away because we were the biggest threats to the entire table.  The other two players were beside themselves at how vicious we were being to each other (no harm no foul to my friend and I, we just knew what was what, especially for a prize of 10 pack take-all for $10 entry).  I got mana screwed after 8 mana, got stuck on Dead-eye Navigator and Draining Whelk and could not recover for my friend's tutor.  He won the game, but almost punted to one of the others, oddly, because he forgot his creatures had flying with Memorial out.

The group I play with has a johnny, a timmy, and a spike.  Only the spike has remained spike over the years.  We're all pretty laid back, but we've become so used to each other that most things are telegraphed before they happen.  The upshot is that it's easier to read other people now, in multiplayer anyways. 

Example, we had a 4 player pod of EDH at the PTQ for Gatecrash in December?  My friend was playing wizards and I played my Sen Triplets deck.  The other two players don't often play outside of competitive, I gathered.  My friend and I went for each other straight away because we were the biggest threats to the entire table.  The other two players were beside themselves at how vicious we were being to each other (no harm no foul to my friend and I, we just knew what was what, especially for a prize of 10 pack take-all for $10 entry).  I got mana screwed after 8 mana, got stuck on Dead-eye Navigator and Draining Whelk and could not recover for my friend's tutor.  He won the game, but almost punted to one of the others, oddly, because he forgot his creatures had flying with Memorial out.

That last line reminded me of something strange. In this same game where my friend was playing the sheoldred, i managed to get an eldrazi conscription on something I had in play, I think it was a 13/13 plus the trample & annihilator. i attacked the player to my right, the same guy to counters my green sun (had to get him back with a vengence)...he sacrificed a sensei's divining top, when he had other junk to get rid of. Strangest thing I've ever saw. 

Most of these people that have been in my groups over the years have learned to shut up and just play the game. Bitching makes you a bigger target then anything else you have on the field.

Most of these people that have been in my groups over the years have learned to shut up and just play the game. Bitching makes you a bigger target then anything else you have on the field.

You should talk to my friend, his name is Jay, he doesn't seem to understand that. He dies, so we can shut him up.
My current group currently only consists of three players.  When we get together, the situation always tends to be this:  there is no way for me to win, but I can decide who does by knocking the other out.  I can't remember the last time I won a game, but I can remember several that turned out this way. 

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

My current group currently only consists of three players.  When we get together, the situation always tends to be this:  there is no way for me to win, but I can decide who does by knocking the other out.  I can't remember the last time I won a game, but I can remember several that turned out this way. 

It can be fun to play the spoiler.

I used to have the same problem, until we found more players. My best advice is to look into house rules: A) Someone plays two decks, and it becomes 2v2 B ) You can only attack in one direction C) Games are scored (points awarded for damage dealt or some such, not the best option).

So yeah, three way games almost always end like that, but there are solutions ^^ 
B ) You can only attack in one direction

I loath this idea, it defeats the purpose of multiplayer.

Instead you should play assassins. Everyone would need 2 of one card, with everyone having a different card. You keep one, that is your marker, the other are dealt randomly face down. The face down card you recieve is your target. You can only attack your target or retaliate against people who effect you. If you get your own card, you can attack anyone. When you kill your target, you get their card and that becomes your target. If you end up with no target or your own card, you have to pay and 5 life you buy a hunting licence. A hunting licence is an artifact and subect to such.
B ) You can only attack in one direction

I loath this idea, it defeats the purpose of multiplayer.

Instead you should play assassins. Everyone would need 2 of one card, with everyone having a different card. You keep one, that is your marker, the other are dealt randomly face down. The face down card you recieve is your target. You can only attack your target or retaliate against people who effect you. If you get your own card, you can attack anyone. When you kill your target, you get their card and that becomes your target. If you end up with no target or your own card, you have to pay and 5 life you buy a hunting licence. A hunting licence is an artifact and subect to such.

Actually, things become surprisingly tactical when you have to figure out how much pressure to apply - the more you attack Player B, the less they can attack Player C, who can now attack you more. Swings and roundabouts.

That said, I think I like your variant, although that may just be for having a hunting license ;) 
to the OP:
I've met a few guys like that and have no patience for it. Actually one of the dearest people I've ever played games with (my brother) can be like that at times. Usually they just don't realize how shallow their attempts to manipulate the table are, or how blatantly selfish their perception of the game is. Is he also the sort of guy who gets really impatient during other players' turns and yet drags his own out and slow-rolls nearly every play he makes?

If it's someone you just met, sometimes direct response has a huge effect. I remember one game I attacked with an inferno titan and assigned 2 of the 3 damage to kill an oracle of mul daya and the last point to Phil's face "for being a whiny b*tch" as he was trying to persuade me to instead torch something problematic for him (I think gaddock teeg maybe?). He was quiet and sullen for the rest of the game. Might have ruined his enjoyment to be demeaned by a stranger like that, but at least it stopped him from ruining ours. I played with that guy again another time and made a point of being friendly with him and it was actually a great game experience. Some people don't respond well to that though, and I think the approach only works if it's done as soon as the behavior reveals itself.

If it's behavior you've been tolerating for a while though, it's much harder to suddenly make it unacceptable. You can try the Oprah method of having some sort of intervention and talk it out but that's awkward and lame and will just make him feel singled out.

Assuming it's a person you all actually like and want to keep involved with socially, you need to get your group on board with a plan to patiently steer his behavior (and if not...then just don't invite him anymore haha). You've got to use both the carrot and the stick. When he whines about no one else answering a troublesome permanent for him, have someone flash a nature's claim they just drew and make a point of saying "...and I'm NOT going to use it on that necrogenesis just because I like hearing Phil moan" Thar's the stick portion. Make it clear that the behavior is NOT getting him what he wants. But the carrot is FAR more important. When he does things in good spirit, make sure to recognize them and let him know they're appreciated. If someone does something that cripples him, say things like "well at least Phil's being such a good sport about it", even if he really isn't. When he plays a deck that doesn't do anything particularly broken, let him know you guys enjoyed it more than usual. And when he isn't fussing too much, make a point of helping him out here and there. Reward good sportsmanship, and discourage the bad.

He's probably still going to try to 'manipulate the table' to get what he wants. But if you've been consistently teaching him that the way to get what he wants is to shut up and play nice, isn't that preferable to what you're currently dealing with?

Really make sure there are the rewards though. They don't have to be tangible or anything that would impact the game, just a compliment or show of appreciation will go a long way. Too much stick just validates his feelings of being victimized. You gotta have some carrots to give too.
to the OP:
I've met a few guys like that and have no patience for it. Actually one of the dearest people I've ever played games with (my brother) can be like that at times. Usually they just don't realize how shallow their attempts to manipulate the table are, or how blatantly selfish their perception of the game is. Is he also the sort of guy who gets really impatient during other players' turns and yet drags his own out and slow-rolls nearly every play he makes?

If it's someone you just met, sometimes direct response has a huge effect. I remember one game I attacked with an inferno titan and assigned 2 of the 3 damage to kill an oracle of mul daya and the last point to Phil's face "for being a whiny b*tch" as he was trying to persuade me to instead torch something problematic for him (I think gaddock teeg maybe?). He was quiet and sullen for the rest of the game. Might have ruined his enjoyment to be demeaned by a stranger like that, but at least it stopped him from ruining ours. I played with that guy again another time and made a point of being friendly with him and it was actually a great game experience. Some people don't respond well to that though, and I think the approach only works if it's done as soon as the behavior reveals itself.

If it's behavior you've been tolerating for a while though, it's much harder to suddenly make it unacceptable. You can try the Oprah method of having some sort of intervention and talk it out but that's awkward and lame and will just make him feel singled out.

Assuming it's a person you all actually like and want to keep involved with socially, you need to get your group on board with a plan to patiently steer his behavior (and if not...then just don't invite him anymore haha). You've got to use both the carrot and the stick. When he whines about no one else answering a troublesome permanent for him, have someone flash a nature's claim they just drew and make a point of saying "...and I'm NOT going to use it on that necrogenesis just because I like hearing Phil moan" Thar's the stick portion. Make it clear that the behavior is NOT getting him what he wants. But the carrot is FAR more important. When he does things in good spirit, make sure to recognize them and let him know they're appreciated. If someone does something that cripples him, say things like "well at least Phil's being such a good sport about it", even if he really isn't. When he plays a deck that doesn't do anything particularly broken, let him know you guys enjoyed it more than usual. And when he isn't fussing too much, make a point of helping him out here and there. Reward good sportsmanship, and discourage the bad.

He's probably still going to try to 'manipulate the table' to get what he wants. But if you've been consistently teaching him that the way to get what he wants is to shut up and play nice, isn't that preferable to what you're currently dealing with?

Really make sure there are the rewards though. They don't have to be tangible or anything that would impact the game, just a compliment or show of appreciation will go a long way. Too much stick just validates his feelings of being victimized. You gotta have some carrots to give too.

LOL, you're funny, "and this point to Phil's face", I'm stealing that if you don't mind for the next time i ping something for 1.

But, what you say in the first paragraph is EXACTLY this guy, he does get on some people for taking long turns (but these guys really do take long turns, like 7 minutes shuffling through their hand reading cards they've seen billions of times before so we all do, but in general outside of that not really), his turns don't really last that long honestly. 

He is always trying to manipulate people to do his bidding or make plays for his benefit, thinking he's some kind of evil genius and people are buying into it. No one does, and it's hysterical. He gets upset at people for playing their decks, as he did at the guy playing the necrogenesis. That guy basically was sarcasticly apologizing for playing cards in his deck and that he'll consult him next time he's putting something in to see if it's ok. I was also flashing the desert twister I had in my hand to him Wink.

He's an adult, he's old enough, and smart enough, I think to make the connection, that if he's screaming and throwing hissy fits and doesn't get his way, to maybe try a different approach, maybe one that doesn't have such an "aggressive posture" we call it.  

I'm guilty of being a bad player sometimes too, but it's mostly when someone makes a play that I thought made 0 sense at the time. Like, there will be a "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!!?!", and I would maybe pout, after a while though I feel I just start playing again and move on. This guy though, a play on first turn, wouldn't be forgotten.  

I have someone in my group who's kind of the 'middle of the road' on the attitude in the OP.  He accepts in good spirits that he gets targeted(he really doesn't build solid decks...not being mean, just a statement of fact), and usually just goes "Oh come on!" when he gets targeted with something.  For the most part, we all do a lot of politicking...when someone casts a multi-target spell, we all put our spin on "Well, you COULD target my Contagion Clasp, OR...".  Completely hilarious sometimes, especially when one of us targets something that wasn't even on the list, throwing everyone for a loop.