Question about handling multiple triggers.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Say I attack with a Goblin Arsonist and two 1/1 goblin tokens. My friend blocks the Goblin Arsonist with a Frogmite and the two 1/1 goblin tokens with two Arcbound Workers each with only one +1/+1 counter on them. Once combat damage is dealt the the two Arcbound Workers, the Goblin Arsonist and the two 1/1 Goblin tokens go to the graveyard. My question is, if the Arsonist and the Workers go to the graveyard at the same time, which of the abilities trigger first? I ask because the Arsonist can finish off the Frogmite with its ability. 

I don't really understand priority that well and I'm sure it has to do with APNAP order or something. I hope my question was clear enough. Any help is welcome. Thank you.
When multiple triggered abilities need to be put on the stack at the same time, they get put on the stack in "APNAP Order". That means that first the Active Player (the person who's turn it is) puts his triggers on the stack in any order, and then the Non-Active Player puts his triggers on the stack in any order. Whichever ability is put on the stack last will resolve first.

So, in your scenario, it's your turn. Your abilities get put on the stack first, and your opponent's abilities get put on the stack on top. His resolve first, placing the +1/+1 counters, and then yours resolve next. To get them in the more favorable order, you'll need this to happen on your opponent's turn. 
They trigger at the same time, then the triggers are put on the stack in Active Player/Non-Active Player (APNAP) order.

So your arsonist trigger goes on the stack first, then the Arcbound Workers, so the workers resolve first and add the counters and the Frogmite lives.

If you would have been the defending player, the frogmite would have died.
MTG Rules Advisor
The Goblin Triggers when it dies (so after combat damage is assigned) but before it goes to the graveyard.  The Workers trigger only after all creatures are placed in the graveyard so yes you can kill Frogmite.
Meaning he can put the arcbound workers counters on the frogmite before my arsonist deals his 1 damage to it correct?
Crap, thanks guys. I just lost the game :P 

How can they resolve at the same time?  One triggers when it dies and other triggers when it is placed in the graveyard?  That is two separate steps is it not?
I just thought that "dies" meant put into the graveyard. But you make a good point. 
How can they resolve at the same time?  One triggers when it dies and other triggers when it is placed in the graveyard?  That is two separate steps is it not?

They don't resolve at the same time, they trigger at the same time.  Read the Oracle text from the card link.  You can see in the reminder text that the wording on Modular is "when this creature dies....."
MTG Rules Advisor
Jeepers!  Just when I thought I was confident enough to post an answer I got schooled.  Won't do that again Sealed
I appreciate all of your post guys. We learn something new everyday Scampb :P   

Thanks!