How exactly does Divine Sanction works?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I still don't get about Divine Sanction.... is it just that it lets you mark an aditional enemy? I mean, I've read before that cavaliers work fine with some powers that benefit from DS, but... why if they can AOE draw aggro without DS or DC? :/
First off: drawing aggro is not a 4e thing.  Monsters are free to ignore marks and punishments, and frequently should.

Secondly: Divine Sanction does exactly what it says it does: when a game element applies the Divine Sanction condition, the enemy subject to that condition is marked, and takes 3/6/9+CHA modifier radiant damage if it makes an attack that doesn't include the character marking it.

Divine Sanction is not limited by class - anyone who has a DS power, can use Divine Sanction just like a Paladin.

The major benefit of DS is that it punishes without an action, and that it works regardless of positioning.  Also that it has very good feat support, all things that the Cavalier lacks.  Don't play a Cavalier, they're terrible.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
So... you wouldn't reccomend me a Cavalier, not even a Human one with Paladin Dailies/Encounters and the Summon Steed class feature? Hmmm... shame
You can play anything you want, but Cavaliers are just plain bad at what they're trying to do.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
You can play anything you want, but Cavaliers are just plain bad at what they're trying to do.

Hmmmm ok, thanks for telling me ^^ I'm actually helping a friend with the Cavalier, but my party has been using the builds/optimizations on the wikis, so they are quite good at what they do, I'll consult this with her.

Well, sometimes we of the internet can be a little harsh.  Whether or not Cavalier is a good choice for an individual person depends on a ton of things:  what the campaign is like, what other people are playing, how much the player cares about  mechanical performance, etc.  The bottom line is that you should know that the Cavalier is weak, so that if you choose it you won't be surprised if it feels lackluster.  That doesn't mean it can't be fun, it just means that if you make a character with the notion "I my character to do THIS!" and then they don't do THIS! anywhere close to as well as another build does, then it may not be a good choice.

The straight Paladin is just flat out better than the Cavalier at doing the things the Cavalier does, and there's very little difference conceptually between them.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
The sole exception is t5he horse.  The Cavalier is the best class at having a good mount.  But mounts in this game are generally not that useful anyway; as your DM if he will let you take Summon Celestial Steed on your regular Paladin at 6th level.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
An additional problem vis a vis Essentials defenders is that they generally use auras for their defender effects, and those auras don't work on marked creatures. This doesn't mesh very well with Divine Sanction or other theoretically-accessible abilities that apply marks, although if the aura-based defense is weak in its own right, the marking power can help to compensate for that.
That's less of a problem for the Cav than for most, to be fair - because DS is self-punishing, it doesn't matter that it overwrites the aura, because it still works (and, indeed, it's preferable, because the cav punishment stinks) - it's much more of a problem for the Knight and (to a lesser extent because there's not so much support) the Berserker - if they pick up a mark from their class support, all it does is mark, which can be useful, but is nowhere near as good without a punishment.