New Player and Very Excited to learn and conquer

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi Everyone, my name is Keshia.  My nickname is Mad Vixen or Vix for short.  I am new to learn how to play.  I was introduced to the game by a good friend.  I am intrigued on how I should go about finding the cards best for me.  I am intrigued in the black, red and white i guess thats how I can describe it at this time... always been intrigued in the dark side of things... so its natural for me to steer that way.  If anyone has any input, advice, or just want to say hi... please feel free to contact me.  also if anyone is in the fort walton beach -pensacola- panama city, florida area... i live in the area.  hit me up.  Hope to hear from you soon.  XOXO

Hi, welcome to the game. I hope that you come to enjoy the game as much as most of us here do.

The color black generally represents the "evil side" of the world while white frequently represents good. However, each color has heroes and villans.

The cards that are "best" for you will depend on the style of games that you like to play. If you like "mind games" where you want your opponent guessing what you've got in your hand and surprising him with technical play then maybe blue is the color for you. If you like fast games then try "all in RED decks". Green is good at putting out big creatures and black is good at destroying them. White is known for overwhelming with small creatures or creature tokens.

If you are mostly playing among friends then you can start anywhere. Usually a good way to start is to pick up a starter deck and just play a couple of learning games. Many people play on Duels of the Planeswalkers for steam or Magic the Gathering Online. If you utilize those programs they do a pretty good job of "teaching" the game. The rules can get pretty complex but if you take it one set at a time it should prove to be fun and interesting.

Good Luck.
Don't be too smart to have fun
So is it uncommon to see someone start out wanting to master black and white first???
Well, if you're just starting out, you should probably focus on a mono-colored deck.  They're a lot simpler than multi-colored decks.  The thing is, right now, the Return to Ravnica block has a ton of multi-colored stuff, so you may want to take your chances and try one.

As for black vs white, once Gatecrash is released in a couple of weeks, Orzhov (the black/white guild) will be an option.  That means more players will try those colors.  I might do it, since I've never tried those colors in tandem before.
Well, if you're just starting out, you should probably focus on a mono-colored deck.  They're a lot simpler than multi-colored decks.

I disagree. Running a second color is not that much more complex and Return to Ravnica really encourages two-color play. As an extension of this, competitive play seems to be shifting more and more to three colors.

So is it uncommon to see someone start out wanting to master black and white first???

It's uncommon right now, only because under the most recent expansion set ("Return to Ravnica") the supported color pairs are white/green, black/red, blue/white, blue/red, and black/green. On February 1, the Gatecrash expansion set will be released, which will support the remaining five pairs, including black/white. So I would argue that this is an excellent time to get into Magic and a particularly good time to start with black/white.

Just as a specific example, to play black/white, you will want eventually want four copies of Godless Shrine. While the card currently exists, it's not tournament-legal in the so-called Standard format. As soon as Gatecrash is released, it will be reprinted and will be legal again.
I have been playing Black/White off and on for like 16 years now.  In a few weeks a new set somes out and B/W is featured.  Look into playing Orzhov wheen Gatecrash comes out.  They should have a starter set for like $12 or something.
I'm a new player also and I like the Black/White mechanic.  I am going Black/White Exalted currently.  If you really want to go "dark side", wait for Gatecrash and go Dimir guild.  Dimir is Blue/Black and based around stealth, assassins and subterfuge.

Dimir is the guild I plan to try for my first Prerelease, Orzhov is what I'm going to try for my second Prerelease
i picked up my first starter event deck today.  I really like the red/black with the return of navnica.  I am slowly learning and i did heard about the pack having black and white combo... I eventually want to master these three colors and beat my bestie... that is my first two goals... also along the way learn on fridays night about different tips and tricks to become a better player... thank u guys so much for all the info i appreciate it...  i am like a sponge to new info so please teach
i picked up my first starter event deck today

Do you know the name of the deck that you picked up? A good starting point is often to substitute cards in a pre-constructed deck to gradually improve it.

Black/red is a good color combination: It provides a nice balance between ease of learning and competitiveness. Learning is more fun when you win.

i picked up my first starter event deck today

Do you know the name of the deck that you picked up? A good starting point is often to substitute cards in a pre-constructed deck to gradually improve it.

Black/red is a good color combination: It provides a nice balance between ease of learning and competitiveness. Learning is more fun when you win.

the deck is called return to ravnica: wrack & rage. 
Rakdos has done really well in recent tournaments

look at the decks of the week to see what other Rakdos decks are playing, so you know which cards to buy or trade for
proud member of the 2011 community team
The deck is called return to ravnica: wrack & rage. 

Excellent, a fine choice and a very good deck to use while learning. Not too complex, yet powerful enough to win games, even in its base form.

Here are some suggestions for improvements to the Wrack and Rage deck list. Think of this as the long term goal of where this deck could be headed:

Finishers: While Wrack and Rage is a good deck, it doesn't have good cards to drive home that last kill to overcome your opponent. The most common choices used are Thundermaw Hellkite and Hellrider, or some combination of both. The former is a very expensive card right now and frankly overpriced, in my opinion. Hellrider is a good option.

Goal: 3x Hellrider

Upgrade other cards and spells: Some of the cards in the deck are pretty good, but there are better choices. Stromkirk Noble is better than Lightning Mauler, so try replacing the latter with the former. Ash Zealot is better than Rakdos Shred-Freak. Seek advice, experiment, upgrade, play test. It's an iterative proces.

Goal: 4x Stromkirk Noble, 4x Ash Zealot

Burn package: The best direct damage spells are Pillar of Flame, Searing Spear, and Brimstone Volley. You actually have 4x of each of these in the Wrack and Rage deck, but some of them are in the Sideboard.

Goal: 4x Pillar of Flame, 4x Searing Spear, 4x Brimstone Volley (move all other non-creature spells to the Sideboard)

Mana base: This may seem like a dull aspect of the game, but is key to getting our cards out on the battlefield fast. It is, unfortunately, one of the more expensive parts of the game:

Goal: 4x Blood Crypt, 4x Dragonskull Summit, remainder Mountain and Swamp (and no guildgates). Also, while Wrack and Rage has 24 lands, because it is an aggressive deck with cards that cost relatively little mana to cast, you can drop to 23 lands and open up a slot for a card.

Having said all of this, note that there are few absolutes in Magic. Players will argue all night over whether Thundermaw Hellkite is better than Hellrider or not. So take all advice strictly as suggestions: Try it out for yourself and see what works for you. Don't be afraid of trying out your own ideas. You will become a better player by experimenting than you will by blindly copying someone's advice or deck list.

Good luck!
awesome!!! Thank you for all of the help.  Now I maybe going over my head here but what is the deal with gatecrash.  is that something different with the return of ravnica decks.  can they be mixed and matched or is that a different format all together.  I saw that they have a black/white combo mix.  my goal is to master black/red/white.  so i am not sure how that works??? please explain
"Return to Ravnica" and "Gatecrash", etc., are names of expansion sets, i.e. new collection of cards. There is an annual cycle: Each summer a so-called core set is issued (currently "Magic 2013") and three expansion sets, one in the fall, one in the winter, and one in the spring. So Return to Ravnica came out last October, Gatecrash comes February 1, and then we'll have Dragon's Maze in May. The three expansion sets in each cycle are called a "block", and the block is named after the first expansion set. So, the Return to Ravnica block consists of Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and Dragon's Maze. The last cycle was the Innistrad block, which consists of Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avacyn Restored.

Cards from all expansion sets and core sets can be mixed and matched together. Many cards are released in multiple expansion sets and/or core sets, but often with new art work. But many cards are new, which allows players to constantly come up with new deck designs.

As you noticed, Gatecrash is designed to focus on five specific color pairs, one of which is black/white (known as the Orzhov guild) and one of which is red/white (Boros). Return to Ravnica focused on the other five color pairs, one of which is black/red (Rakdos). If you are interested in playing black/red/white, many of these cards will be of use to you. You can choose to either play a black/red deck or a black/white one or red/white one, or you can combine all three colors (B/R/W). But you will also find good cards from the Innistrad block in those colors. For example, in Wrack and Rage, Hellhole Flailer is from the Return to Ravnica block, Knight of Infamy is from Magic 2013, and Stromkirk Noble is from Innistrad.

For tournament play, there are specific formats that restrict which expansion sets can be used to build a deck. In some formats, there are also limits on certain individual cards. The most commonly played format, the "Standard" format, which consists of all the cards from the most recent two blocks and the current core set. So, today, Standard consists of the Innistrad block, the Return to Ravnica Expansion set, and the Magic 2013 core set. More info on these formats is available here:

www.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/resources.aspx...

There is an online card database that can be used to browse all cards and expansion sets, called Gatherer:

gatherer.wizards.com

awesome!!! Thank you for all of the help.  Now I maybe going over my head here but what is the deal with gatecrash.  is that something different with the return of ravnica decks.  can they be mixed and matched or is that a different format all together.  I saw that they have a black/white combo mix.  my goal is to master black/red/white.  so i am not sure how that works??? please explain

As Hreth mentioned most people are playing "standard" and that is the constructed format that you will bump into the most. Currently in standard there are 0 cards that are but if you check gatherer you can see there are 4 cards which share these 3 colors (and no other colors). These cards are

kaalia of the vast
oros, the avenger
tariel, reckoner of souls
and fervent charge

There are relatively few cards for this three color combination. However, there are other things which can draw these colors together. For example, curently in standard all three of these colors have a weenie strategy featuring efficient 1 mana creatures such as gravecrawler, rakdos cackler, dryad militant and others. There is some speculation that once gatecrash is released WRB might "be a thing"

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

In that thread someone mentioned a RWB tokens deck which makes sense. You can play lingering souls gather the townsfolk and krenko's command in the same decklist and get full value out of something like intangible virtue. Of course when gatecrash comes out there will be a whole slew of new options to consider as well.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Sign In to post comments