Is there an easier way to understand 4e? im new at this :/

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
i recently started playing dungeons and dragons 4e but im having alot of trouble taking in all of the information i need to know to even play the game! im talking about the types or armour and the death saving throw thing and all that. is there just an easy way to understand it all? or am i just making it more complicated then it actually is?

thanks for all replies!

Best way is to play with a few experienced people for a while, and pick it up by playing.

If you have specific confusions, asking about them in Ruels Q&A can help, but you don't learn the rules well be reading them, you learn by doing.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Try seeing if there is a game of DND encounters near you.  Check the main DnD page.  Those can be a good place for a "first glance" at the system.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
i recently started playing dungeons and dragons 4e but im having alot of trouble taking in all of the information i need to know to even play the game! im talking about the types or armour and the death saving throw thing and all that. is there just an easy way to understand it all? or am i just making it more complicated then it actually is?

What is your question about armor? You typically want to wear the best (read: most expensive) armor your class allows. Unless you are the Dungeon Master, you won't even need to worry about how Death saving throws work until your character actually starts dying.

It is best to learn by doing, but go ahead and ask your questions here anyway.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
4e plays much easier than it reads

Best thing is to get the general idea of the rules and try things out on the field.

Building characters may that a bit of time at the beginning, but than you have pretty much all you need there (make sure to players have cards with their powers: it helps book keeping and speeds things out a lot).

Some material to consider for a quick introduction and to help running to the game smoothly: Red Box; Rules Compendium; Dungeon Master Screen     

ok thanks for all of your help guys! i live in australia in the hills (adelaide) so there arent alot of people i can play with without bussing or taxing to the city to my mtg store (they host alot of d&d events) and my brother and i are slowley picking things up! we are going to start playing in these events after reading this and Uskglass thanks for the tip!

~Anaklumous 
ok thanks for all of your help guys! i live in australia in the hills (adelaide) so there arent alot of people i can play with without bussing or taxing to the city to my mtg store (they host alot of d&d events) and my brother and i are slowley picking things up! we are going to start playing in these events after reading this and Uskglass thanks for the tip!

You are welcome.

Actually if you have a chance to play in a game run by an experienced DM that's a great way to learn the ropes while having fun. 
I read the RC on the crapper.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

One big thing to remember is that everything does exactly what it says, nothing more, nothing less.  

Also don't get hung up on it, if something is confusing or doesn't make sense, make a ruling at the table (DM says or concensus or whatever) and go with it.  As long as the rules are consistent and everyone is in agreement then its all good.  You can always get clarification and play it a different way next session.  

Also, Rule 0: All other rules a guidelines...

Best of luck and happy gaming,

TjD

Yes, since the beginning of D&D rules have only been guidelines. As long as the group is having fun RPing and Adventuring that is all that matters. And remember we here if you do have a question.  

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Check out the Penny Arcade podcasts: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/podcasts.aspx They're entertaining in their own right and are a good way to get an understanding as to how the game is played.

Use pre-gens to start with - character creation is one of the more complicated parts of the game if you're a beginner.  There are some fairly decent ones here: http://dungeonsmaster.com/pre-generated-character-library/  Check out seasons 3 & 4 of you're using essentials material.

Grab a couple of pre-gens and a few monsters and play through an encounter or two by yourself.  You'll learn much faster this way than just reading through the rulebooks.
Well, just get the books and do a few sample low level combats and slowly add features. Start with static trading blows to get a feel for attacks and defenses and how to read a power. Then move around a bit and get a feel for line of sight, line of effect, cover and concealment (and the movement rules). Move on to something a bit more advanced such as conditional abilities or triggered abilities.

5-10 arbitrary "short" combats of varying complexity will be educational. A tutorial adventure set would have been nice for 4ed at release. Maybe I missed it.

In time it will start to make sense. Don't worry about intricate interactions to start with and you don't need to know many of the rules to start playing. 
ok thanks for all the help guys! my friends take it in turn to dm and...yeah apparantly im the funniest cause im always changing my mind aha

thanks for all replies!

Check out the videos on youtube of the Robot Chicken devs playing d&d with Chris Perkins. Chris does an excellent job of describing core rules as they come up. That is a good introduction.

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

ok thanks for the vids bajatmerc

and yeah thanks to everyone else for helping me aha :/ 
Have you tried looking at the Play-by-post forums? You can just read for a bit and see what different DMs and Players are doing. Usually they have their character sheets posted in the Out of Character (ooc) threads.
It kills me to say this, but Baja did have a really good suggestion.  Perkins is an awesome DM.  Just don't expect yours to be like that.

thanks for all replies!

Check out the videos on youtube of the Robot Chicken devs playing d&d with Chris Perkins. Chris does an excellent job of describing core rules as they come up. That is a good introduction.

Yep... if you can't learn by playing with some folks (optimal), then learn by watching these guys.  Start from episode 1... they don't know how to play 4E either so they will ask a lot of questions that you might be wondering about.
After you finish those videos, look for the Penny Arcade plays D&D podcasts. They are really funny. And then you can check out the videos that came out after of their games at PAX. Penny Arcade really embraced D&D. 

That stuff is not really that good to learn from IMO. It is funny though. And many jokes in the videos refer all the way back to the podcasts.  

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

After you finish those videos, look for the Penny Arcade plays D&D podcasts. They are really funny. And then you can check out the videos that came out after of their games at PAX. Penny Arcade really embraced D&D. 

That stuff is not really that good to learn from IMO. It is funny though. And many jokes in the videos refer all the way back to the podcasts.  

If you know the rules really well, you'll see areas where the rules aren't applied correctly, but Perkins just glosses over the whole thing with a quick DM ruling, and most of the players don't know any better.
I'd also spring for a DDI subscription and play around with the compendium and character builder some -- the books explain how to make a character, but it's really hard as a new person to actually do so, and the CB makes that easy.

Also, check out the old virtual table forum  for LFR sessions on rpgtableonline.com, which is free to use and lets you connect with fantastic DMs like plaguescarred, jag, and bill from across the globe. Plague often runs adventures in the middle of the night, which may be convenient timing for you on the other side of the planet
ok thanks nirafelos...i will suss that website aha and thanks for the podcasts and help from everyone!

If you are looking for more of Chris Perkins taped D&D sessions, there is also:

Chris Perkins UK Adventure 

Press Start - S2E28 - D&D

thanks for all replies!

The core system 4e uses is "d20" and most resolution boils down to "roll a 20-sided die ("d20"), add modifiers, and check against a Difficutly Class ("DC")."  

Types of Armor make very little difference, at first, you typically use the 'best' (highest AC bonus) your class is proficient with, and it just adds to your AC.  AC is the DC that enemies need to match with their attack rolls to hit you.

Death saving throws are just another d20 check, but you're less likely to have a modifier, and the DC is always 10.  They have only one effect:  if you fail three of them while you're 'dying' (0 hps or lower) you /die/.  OK, two: if you get a result of 20 you can wake up and spend a healing surge. 

Which book(s) are you starting with?  

Have you played other versions of D&D?  (If so, yes, you may very well be making it more coplicated than it really is!  4e is 'cleaner' than D&D has been in the past, and that's confusing when you're counting on a familiar mess.)  

Do you have anyone else to play with?   (if not, you might try attending a D&D Encounters event, they can be a pretty decent introduction.)

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Sign In to post comments