[GTC-ICD] Sepulchral Primordial

39 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sepulchral Primordial (Rare) -
Creature - Avatar
Intimidate
When Sepulchral Primordial enters the battlefield, for each opponent, you may put up to one target creature from that player's graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.
5/4

Source: DailyMTG
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Indi called it.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Ewww... I thought the black 7CMC was already covered.

Inb4 EDH gold...? 
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Kind of awesome. I think I might run a flicker deck, using the decent primordials.
http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg
I'm conflicted. This cycle is obvious EDH fodder, and part of me thinks it's cool that they're devoting a cycle to EDH/multiplayer. However, another part of me would be genuinely disappointed to ever crack these from a pack. 

*shrug* I think this one is my favorite of the bunch so far. Probably followed by the blue one.
I get it, the theme of the cycle is unplayable!

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Yeah ... as others are saying, not really looking forward to the last two of the cycle.  Or ever opening them, God forbid.

The theme of the cycle is to replace the Titans in EDH because Primeval is banned, Grave should be, and the rest are bad in EDH.
Obviously EDH fodder, but does anyone else think this is hilarious sideboard tech for the Reanimator mirror match?
heartless summoning and flicker could use him somewhat... but still is meh.
could easily be the "fatty" in a mill-control deck.
Called this. And with black mana ramp being supported by both M13 and GTC, don't think that cost is so prohibitive. Imagine if they reprint Dark Ritual in GTC or DGM.

This and deadeye navigator will be fun.

3DH4LIF3

I wish this said "any player" rather than "opponent". 
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
Called this. And with black mana ramp being supported by both M13 and GTC, don't think that cost is so prohibitive. Imagine if they reprint Dark Ritual in GTC or DGM.

Yeah... sorry but that's definitely not going to happen.  I'm pretty sure they've said that Dark Ritual was a mistake.  That and they've moved burst mana into red.  See: Seething Song and Battle Hymn
Those can still help ramp into the Primordials.

I think, just maybe, reprinting Dark Ritual  would have a pretty serious impact in modern
Bang! That was the sound of me nailing that prediction.

Seems absurdly good for EDH/multiplayer. Probably the best of them for Standard and other Constructed formats.
Dark Ritual isn't going to be reprinted in any standard expansion because it would only allow for more restrictions in playable black creatures while also demanding an immediate ban in Modern. There's no point. It'll likely continue to be reprinted in duel decks. I kinda hope it gets an inclusion in a FtV set, too, but that's beside the point.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
If Restoration Angel continues to be a force in standard (which looks to be the thing) I actually think this card will be moderately playable.

Play it, steal their Angel, flicker, steal another angel, flicker, steal their best thing.
If Restoration Angel continues to be a force in standard (which looks to be the thing) I actually think this card will be moderately playable.

Play it, steal their Angel, flicker, steal another angel, flicker, steal their best thing.

if they have 2 angels, you can make an infinite loop.

Play it
steal their angel
flicker
steal the other angel
flicker
sac the first angel
steal the first angel
flicker
sac the second angel
steal the second angel
flicker 

Has more potential to be played in Standard than the rest of the cycle so far (Most every deck will have a nice creature to steal with this). Not that that's saying much, though. Obviously a cycle destined for EDH, and if you don't like it, that's okay. Big, unplayable-except-in-Commander junk rares are no worse than flatly mediocre unplayable-almost-anywhere junk rares, but at least they have a silver lining you can look for.
Rules Nut Advisor
However, another part of me would be genuinely disappointed to ever crack these from a pack.

And they're at rare, not mythic.

Nonetheless, I'd go so far as saying that the Primordial cycle seems to relatively playable in Sealed. Well, except for Luminate, since it's just plain not good.

Play it
steal their angel
flicker
steal the other angel
flicker
sac the first angel
steal the first angel
flicker
sac the second angel
steal the second angel
flicker 

Provided you have a Sac outlet you can actually just do this with one angel.
Play Sepulchral Primordial.
Steal an angel, flicker trigger on the stack, sacrifice the angel. Flicker Primordial, steal the first angel again.

In standard, the only creatures with free sacrifice triggers are Grim Grin, Bloodflow Connieuseur, and Bloodthrone Vampire. So all you're doing it making an arbitrarily large creature. If you have a Blood artist I guess you autokill them.

But honestly, 7 mana for a 5/4 and their best dude is severely tempting. Sadly stealing Obzedat isn't all that effective, but jacking something like an Angel of Serenity is a pretty big deal.
straightforward and pretty good to boot.

Heh I was thinking the same thing. Mill their deck and then drop this guy and still their biggest guy? I'd run one of it as a finisher in a mill deck but that's about it.
A lot of people predicted this.

Since these are really Titans-lite, I'm calling them the Litans. That said, a 5/4 intimidate body on a rise from the grave variant isn't the worst.
This might actually be Constructed playable. o.0

Anyway, I really love the name. Sepulchral... 

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Is it just me or are a lot of the rares and mythics this set dedicated solely to EDH? Gideon, every primordial, lord of the void...

I feel Consuming Abberation and possibly Lazav will be better beaters for mill
I am a fervent EDH proponent, and as such I'm conflicted on the cycle.  They're obviously powerful and tailor-made for EDH, but therein lies the problem:  they're ridiculous.  They're powerful, perhaps absurdly so.  While I'm not sold on banning Primeval Titan, I foresee the Primordials having the same supposed problem:  they'll become the focus of the game.  Players will fall all over themselvs to kill, steal or reanimate these guys.  I guess we'll see how it goes...

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Not a constructed card.  Will be a lot of fun for casual and edh though.
Best art in the cycle so far.

Play it
steal their angel
flicker
steal the other angel
flicker
sac the first angel
steal the first angel
flicker
sac the second angel
steal the second angel
flicker 

Provided you have a Sac outlet you can actually just do this with one angel.
Play Sepulchral Primordial.
Steal an angel, flicker trigger on the stack, sacrifice the angel. Flicker Primordial, steal the first angel again.

In standard, the only creatures with free sacrifice triggers are Grim Grin, Bloodflow Connieuseur, and Bloodthrone Vampire. So all you're doing it making an arbitrarily large creature. If you have a Blood artist I guess you autokill them.

But honestly, 7 mana for a 5/4 and their best dude is severely tempting. Sadly stealing Obzedat isn't all that effective, but jacking something like an Angel of Serenity is a pretty big deal.

well this IS a black creature, and all three sac outlets and/or blood artist/falkenrath noble is black so... =3 countertroll bant-troll

"oh, you flickered your thrag repeatedly to get 40 life? I'll blood artist loop you for 50."
Pretty good.
I am a fervent EDH proponent, and as such I'm conflicted on the cycle.  They're obviously powerful and tailor-made for EDH, but therein lies the problem:  they're ridiculous.  They're powerful, perhaps absurdly so.  While I'm not sold on banning Primeval Titan, I foresee the Primordials having the same supposed problem:  they'll become the focus of the game.  Players will fall all over themselvs to kill, steal or reanimate these guys.  I guess we'll see how it goes...

I think Primordials are not as problematic as the Titans because their effect is one-shot. If a deck is trying to abuse their ETB effects by cloning, flickering, recursion etc., they're simply one more threat in that strategy. Also, every one of them depends on what your opponents are playing - sure, it's EDH, everyone will play some goodies worth exiling/reviving/recasting, but you have far less control over their abilities than, say, Reveillark's, Angel of Serenity's, Grave Titan's, Sun Titan's, Eternal Witness's...
You don't even need Restoration Angel if your oppenent has one (or more) dead.

The theme of the cycle is to replace the Titans in EDH because Primeval is banned, Grave should be, and the rest are bad in EDH.

Sun has some uses, particularly with Umbras. It's also more fair with Strip Mine than Crucible of Worlds and Fastbond (the latter of which is, of course, banned).

Inferno also has some uses. Mostly Basilisk Collar or Onyx Mage or Nightshade Peddler.

Grave isn't as broken as you might think. Most players use sweepers anyway, and Grave's tokens can be taken out with Pyroclasm or a Massacre Wurm or a Black Sun's Zenith. What? You didn't know you have to answer everything in an eternal format?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
If you want to know why this is bad read [CARD]Grave Titan[/CARD] and you will see why.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

If you want to know why this is bad read [CARD]Grave Titan[/CARD] and you will see why.

Or, alternately, Murder/mill/force discard your opponent's Titan, then cast this.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt