Just Some Cards: A Buncha Lands

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Making land is tough. Basically I'm looking to see if these are all fair and balanced and awesome.

Communal Grounds
Land
:T:: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Each other player may untap a basic land they control.

• Is this kind of nonbasic hate okay?

• Is this too good on the draw or is the one turn advantage not a huge deal?

Edge of the World
Land
Lands you control enter the battlefield tapped.
:T:: Add to your mana pool.

• Is this too good in eternal formats?

Blank Space
Land
Whenever another land enters the battlefield under your control Blank Space becomes a copy of that land until end of turn.

• I think this is cool, but how useful is it?

Crystal Masoleum
Land
Crystal Masoleum enters the battlefield tapped.
Imprint - When Crystal Masoleum enters the battlefield you may exile a card from your hand and attach it to Crystal Masoleum.
:T:: Add one mana of any of the imprinted card’s colors to your mana pool.

• Should this only etb tapped if you use the imprint option? How would you word that?

Remember- your feedback helps me procrastinate!
Communal Grounds
Land
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Each other player may untap a basic land they control.

• Is this kind of nonbasic hate okay?

Fine to my knowledge.

• Is this too good on the draw or is the one turn advantage not a huge deal?

One turn advantage isn't to significant.

Blank Space
Land
: Add to your mana pool.
Whenever another land enters the battlefield under your control Blank Space becomes a copy of that land until end of turn.

• I think this is cool, but how useful is it?

Its useful in combos

as for the others. Not my department

Edge of the World is almost certainly too good.

I like Blank Space a lot.

You can add a "if you do, tap ~." onto Crystal Mausoleum's Imprint ability and it should work as desired.  The wording should probably be more like Chrome Mox, since it's pretty much the same card except a land instead of an artifact.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Communal Grounds is pushing things (often they'll untap a land on your turn that they weren't planning on using anyways), but is probably fine, given that the opponent can play around it smartly.

Edge of the World combos slightly too well with Amulet of Vigor.  If not for the latter, perhaps it would be OK, considering it taps itself down when it enters the battlefield.  Do I think it's a fair alternative to City of Traitors?  Probably (again, if not for the pesky Amulet).

Blank Space is neat, lets you have two Lotus Vales by sacrificing only two other land.  Given the turn it takes to get there (generally turn 4), and it leaves you sitting on only two land (easy to pick off), I think it's quite fine.  Outside of the Vale, it's a bit less powerful than Vesuva.  I think there's more design space there that this is attacking well.

I agree with Glasir on Crystal Masoleum.  Also, use Chrome Mox to retemplate your Imprint wording.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
You can add a "if you do, tap ~." onto Crystal Mausoleum's Imprint ability and it should work as desired.  The wording should probably be more like Chrome Mox, since it's pretty much the same card except a land instead of an artifact.

nah, then you can still tap it for colorless in response to the trigger. just make it EtB tapped, whatever.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

oh yeah, you're right.  phooie.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Aw man I forgot about Chrome Mox. Crystal Masoleum seems so much less cool now.

As it's worded now I'm pretty sure Edge of the World doesn't etb tapped but if that's the case it was a big mistake on my part. Would it be okay if it prevented thjose lands from untapping during their first turn on the field? It would still be great as the last land played or in multiples though.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I wasn't sure how many people would take a look at a land thread.
"You may have Crystal Masoleum enter the battlefield tapped.  If you do, it gains 'When Crystal Masoleum enters the battlefield, [blahdy blah].'"

I'll note that since "Imprint" is a rules-wise meaningless ability word, no different than flavor text, it can be included or discluded as desired.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
As it's worded now I'm pretty sure Edge of the World doesn't etb tapped

I could definitely be wrong about it; but if I am, then it's pretty much OP, regardless of interactivity with Amulet.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This

I could definitely be wrong about it; but if I am, then it's pretty much OP, regardless of interactivity with Amulet.

Like I said it was a goof on my part.
"You may have Crystal Masoleum enter the battlefield tapped.  If you do, it gains 'When Crystal Masoleum enters the battlefield, [blahdy blah].'"

you can just skip straight to the trigger. "You may have Crystal Mausoleum enter the battlefield tapped. If you do, when it enters the battlefield, you may exile a card from your hand."

nah, it enters the battlefield tapped.

I notice that Chrome Mox only lets you imprint nonland, nonartifact cards. I don't understand why it has that restriction. Do I need it too?
you can just skip straight to the trigger. "You may have Crystal Mausoleum enter the battlefield tapped. If you do, when it enters the battlefield, you may exile a card from your hand."

Good point.

nah, it enters the battlefield tapped.

K, thanks

I notice that Chrome Mox only lets you imprint nonland, nonartifact cards. I don't understand why it has that restriction. Do I need it too?

Colored artifacts weren't a thing when Chrome Mox was printed, and colored lands aren't a thing (unless I'm forgetting something) are Dryad Arbor, as was pointed out me below.  Very likely it was to reduce confusion.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
dryad arbor ruins everything

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Edge of the World makes me think of Temple of the False God.  I think it could be fixed if you added an additional drawback, like that it etb tapped as well, or that it can't be played until the xth turn or until you control x lands.
Edge of the World makes me think of Temple of the False God.  I think it could be fixed if you added an additional drawback, like that it etb tapped as well, or that it can't be played until the xth turn or until you control x lands.

I've been told that as it's worded it actually does enter the battlefield tapped. How it does so is beyond me since I'm pretty sure the effect wouldn't be active until after the card had already entered the battlefield. Regardless, having it etb tapped was my intention.

I've been told that as it's worded it actually does enter the battlefield tapped. How it does so is beyond me since I'm pretty sure the effect wouldn't be active until after the card had already entered the battlefield. Regardless, having it etb tapped was my intention.

it functions in the same way vesuva functions. the fact that the replacement it creates affects other lands as well doesn't stop it from affecting itself.

:dueL: 

dryad arbor ruins everything

Sure does...

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This