Minions of khyber?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know khyber hosts just about any monster you can find, but I'm more interested to know what types of creatures would/could the Rakasha lords and Lords of Dust use? They're trapped down there too and it seems most source material talks more about the daelkyr and their abominations, but like they might have some "fodder" like dolgrims, what are some different types of monsters loyal to the Lords of Dust are there?
In as far as Underdark creatures are concerned, I doubt there are any, although you could maybe pick duegar with a bit of reflavoring. They are already described as dwarves that made a pact with devils, and hence it would not take much to adapt them. Another pick could be quogoth (sp?) - the bear-like brutes from the FR - or grimlocks. Most other Underdark critters are indeed aberrations. Of course, you could also simply stick to demons and devils such as dretches. Personally I would first look at the Lord of Dust in question and pick the set of creatures that best fit its personality and sphere of influence.
There's a few elements here. Both the Lords of Dust and the daelkyr are unqique individuals who often have followers tied to their sphere of influence. So dolgrims, dolgaunts, runehounds and mind flayers are common to all daelkyr, but beyond that it varies. Belashyrra uses beholders and other eye-related creatures. Kyrzin is the prince of slime. Orlassk uses gargoyles, medusas, and other stone/petrification related creatures. Likewise the Lords of Dust could use any sort of demon or rakshasa, but they could also have personal minions based on their sphere; Katashka uses undead, the Heart of Winter has ice mannequins, the Feral Heart has lycanthropes and worgs, etc.

Looking to Khyber itself, you touch on the fact that Khyber isn't as uniform as the Underdark. It is essentially a mass of demiplanes; as such, you can have a completely different ecosystem/range of creatures in two Khyber realms. Derro have been mentioned in Noldrunhold, but that doesn't mean there are derro across Khyber.
Thanks for the insight. One of the qualms I have with using certain fiends or demons though is from a hierarchy point of view, lets assume a raja has Rakasha "lieutenants" but also maybe some balor or tanar'i, which is more likely to be in a higher position of power the Rakasha or the higher level demons and fiends?
Given the rakashas shape changing ability and source material for how many of them have and can infiltrate eberron organizations and nations, I find it more plausible these higher level demons and fiends aren't likely to be directly causing trouble on the surface, not to mention they're more likely to be trapped in khyber as well
Thanks for the insight. One of the qualms I have with using certain fiends or demons though is from a hierarchy point of view, lets assume a raja has Rakasha "lieutenants" but also maybe some balor or tanar'i, which is more likely to be in a higher position of power the Rakasha or the higher level demons and fiends?

First, there's no reason to assume the rakshasa lieutenants are lower level. Per 3.5 rules, many of the rakshasa Lords of Dust have class levels, some quite extensive; Eldrantulku's speaker is CR 24 and casts spells as a 21st level sorcerer. Looking to 4E, the Wyrmbreaker is a level 29 elite controller. The bulk of the immortal forces of the Lords of Dust are lower-power rakshasa, but the they can be as powerful as you want them to be.

Beyond this, for purposes of hierarchy power is secondary to intelligence. A general isn't necessarily the most powerful fighter in the army; to perform his role effectively he needs charisma to inspire and a good grasp of strategy. He doesn't need to have the strongest sword arm, he needs to be able to direct a thousand others. The same holds true here. A hezrou or goristo may be twice the level of the rakshasa that commands them, because despite their power they simply lack the intelligence and subtlety required to serve as a leader.

Having said that, if you refer to Eternal Evil, out of the six members of the Council of Ashtakala that are named four are epic level rakshasa, one is a pit fiend, and one is a succubus. The succubus is a good example of the previous points. First, she has sixteen class levels, so again, don't assume that the fiend with the lower BASE stats is necessarily weaker; second, she's better suited to the role than another fiend with more raw power because of her intelligence and subtle cunning.
I just meant from their base monster type, but thanks for that information Keith you helped, ideas are already swimming in my head